PA: Woman shoots attacker with his own gun

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 3

PA: Woman shoots attacker with his own gun

Post by ELB »

http://wkbn.com/2017/02/03/pa-woman-wre ... hoots-him/

This was a few months ago. The woman...
...was working at an Upper Darby laundromat ... the suspect forced [her] into a bathroom and then demanded she strip.

The mother of three fought ...got away with his gun after shooting him in the arm...made it to a nearby convenience store ...called the police.
Suspect hospitalized in serious condition.

One of the antis talking points against armed self-defense is that the bad guy will just take your gun away from you. Well...

It's worth mentioning again the white paper by Clayton Cramer and David Burnett, where they collected news articles on defensive gun uses between 2003 and 2008k and then analyzed them. Out of 4,668 DGU reports collected, in 238 [corrected] instances a person wielding a gun was disarmed. In only eleven cases was the "good guy" disarmed (and in one of those, when the good guy's rifle was taken, he drew his handgun and shot one of his assailants). In the other 227 cases, the intended victim disarmed his or her attacker.

Tough Targets: When Criminals Face Armed Resistance from Citizens
Last edited by ELB on Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USAF 1982-2005

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Re: PA: Woman shoots attacker with his own gun

Post by Abraham »

When criminals fear they may very well face armed resistance from citizens - criminality goes way down.

The left simply won't admit this.

NNT

Post by NNT »

...got away with his gun after shooting him in the arm...... In the other 227 cases, the intended victim disarmed his or her attacker.

If he had brought a bigger gun maybe she would have disarmed him for good... :fire

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

ELB wrote:http://wkbn.com/2017/02/03/pa-woman-wre ... hoots-him/

This was a few months ago. The woman...
...was working at an Upper Darby laundromat ... the suspect forced [her] into a bathroom and then demanded she strip.

The mother of three fought ...got away with his gun after shooting him in the arm...made it to a nearby convenience store ...called the police.
Suspect hospitalized in serious condition.

One of the antis talking points against armed self-defense is that the bad guy will just take your gun away from you. Well...

It's worth mentioning again the white paper by Clayton Cramer and David Burnett, where they collected news articles on defensive gun uses between 2003 and 2008k and then analyzed them. Out of 4,668 DGU reports collected, in 338 instances a person wielding a gun was disarmed. In only eleven cases was the "good guy" disarmed (and in one of those, when the good guy's rifle was taken, he drew his handgun and shot one of his assailants). In the other 227 cases, the intended victim disarmed his or her attacker.

Not to be a troll and I hope you are quoting some one else, BUT 338 -11 = 327 NOT 227. A quite Large Difference.

Math is a major part of my profession. Seeing mistakes of that magnitude demands that I comment.

After the above comment, I actually followed the link to the White Paper from which those numbers were derived. It seems someone fat fingered a number. The Gross number should be 238. This of course makes the math work out. Typos, the bane of us who peruse these forums.

:thumbs2: :txflag:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

Yes typos in the more significant columns are a nuisance, amplified by cut'n'paste. ;-)
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

Follow-up:

The would-be robber/rapist's lawyer worked out a plea bargain for him. He pled guilty to robbery and illegally possessing a firearm and was sentenced to five to ten years in prison, no early release.

The link below has more details of the original event. At one point in the struggle the gun went off and the magazine fell out. Apparently that's when the perp was struck in the shoulder. That gave the woman a chance to run for it.

http://www.delcotimes.com/article/DC/20 ... /170419715
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”