WA: Convenience store owner gets 8 years for shooting fleeing perp

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
PackinPig
Posts in topic: 4

WA: Convenience store owner gets 8 years for shooting fleeing perp

Post by PackinPig »

http://q13fox.com/2017/06/23/spanaway-c ... hoplifter/
*Not LTC related, rather handgun related.*
Convenience store owner received 8 years for shooting fleeing perp.
Although there are numerous things the clerk did that probably made the situation worse, there are many good lessons to be learned from this situation. Here are a few of the main points I took from this situation:
1. Demonstrates the possible consequences of using deadly force, and how using your handgun may not be the best choice in every situation.
2. Example why you should never re-holster and re-engage the bad guy.
3. Consider what you have to lose emotionally and mentally vs physically.

After reading articles such as this I like to imagine myself in the clerk's shoes. I feel that going through scenarios that have actually happened and breaking them down keeps a person's mind sharp.
My first observation, as stated above, is that there are consequences in using your firearm. Regardless of, whether or not you were justified. You get dragged through court and are put through a grueling process and even if you are found not guilty of a criminal offense you can still be summoned to civil court. However, I'm not an attorney and will not go into legal ramifications.
My second point is that if I have a bad guy at gun point I would never holster and re-engage the suspect in a physical altercation. This is never a good idea (in my opinion) and can only lead to a bad ending. This brings me to my third and final point.
Although, situations such as this tend to move exceptionally fast and often many actions are the work of muscle memory, one should consider if what the bad guy is stealing is worth the consequences in the long run. The perp in this situation took a pack of cigarettes. Think of all the good things in your life (family, friends, hobbies, your future) and then question if it's worth throwing it all away for a pack of cigarettes.
These are my opinions and are simply to provoke thought.
Thank You :txflag:

This is the article involving the store owner's wife involved in a shooting incident at the same store back in February.
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... ed-robber/
Last edited by PackinPig on Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
"Speak softly and carry a big stick."
-Theodore Roosevelt 26th President of the United States

skeathley
Posts in topic: 1

Re: WA: Convenience store owner gets 8 years for shooting fleeing perp

Post by skeathley »

The real issue is that the store owner's life was not in jeopardy. Protection of property is already a thin justification, and is unlikely to be extended to a carton of cigs. He probably didn't still have them, anyway. No surprise here.

Smoking kills.

:biggrinjester:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

"The video shows Mason was able to free himself and attempted to flee the store. Kim stood up and removed the firearm from the holster, positioned himself behind Mason, raised the gun, and shot Mason twice in the back as Mason fled.

Mason collapsed in the doorway and died before medical aid arrived."

We all know that you shoot to stop the threat. When the threat begun to flee from him and got shot in the back, store owner became the aggressor.

He is lucky he didn't get more time.

Topic author
PackinPig

Post by PackinPig »

:iagree:

philip964

Post by philip964 »

At night in Texas, if the robber was leaving with the cigarettes, he would be ok.

However, in Washington state I'm surprised he did not get life.

Topic author
PackinPig

Post by PackinPig »

philip964 wrote:At night in Texas, if the robber was leaving with the cigarettes, he would be ok.

However, in Washington state I'm surprised he did not get life.
You are right about the "Theft at night" but I still feel it isn't worth the backlash.

DEB

Post by DEB »

This is why I could never run a convenience store. To me a thief is one of the lowest forms of humanity. I would trust some murderers long before I would ever trust any thief; some killing I could understand, stealing never. Property often takes folks hours of hard work to obtain and to see someone walk off with it, might be hard to contain a reaction. So, no sympathy from me, whenever a thief looses his/her life, my sympathy goes to the convenience store owner and his or her family.
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

PackinPig wrote:http://q13fox.com/2017/06/23/spanaway-c ... hoplifter/
Convenience store owner received 8 years for shooting fleeing clerk.
Although there are numerous things the clerk did that probably made the situation worse, there are many good lessons to be learned from this situation. Here are a few of the main points I took from this situation:
1. Demonstrates the possible consequences of using deadly force, and how using your handgun may not be the best choice in every situation.

After reading articles such as this I like to imagine myself in the clerk's shoes. I feel that going through scenarios that have actually happened and breaking them down keeps a person's mind sharp.
My first observation, as stated above, is that there are consequences in using your firearm. Regardless of, whether or not you were justified. You get dragged through court and are put through a grueling process and even if you are found not guilty of a criminal offense you can still be summoned to civil court. However, I'm not an attorney and will not go into legal ramifications.
My second point is that if I have a bad guy at gun point I would never holster and re-engage the suspect in a physical altercation. This is never a good idea (in my opinion) and can only lead to a bad ending. This brings me to my third and final point.
Although, situations such as this tend to move exceptionally fast and often many actions are the work of muscle memory, one should consider if what the bad guy is stealing is worth the consequences in the long run. The perp in this situation took a pack of cigarettes. Think of all the good things in your life (family, friends, hobbies, your future) and then question if it's worth throwing it all away for a pack of cigarettes.

This is the article involving the store owner's wife involved in a shooting incident at the same store back in February.
He shot the clerk? What is this.... My Cousin Vinny? :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
PackinPig

Post by PackinPig »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
PackinPig wrote:http://q13fox.com/2017/06/23/spanaway-c ... hoplifter/
Convenience store owner received 8 years for shooting fleeing clerk.

He shot the clerk? What is this.... My Cousin Vinny? :lol:
lolol good catch! "rlol"

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

I worked at a 7-11 back in the mid-70's - part of the training drilled into us was that nothing in the store was worth loosing your life over. Give robbers whatever they wanted without any provocation.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

bblhd672 wrote:I worked at a 7-11 back in the mid-70's - part of the training drilled into us was that nothing in the store was worth loosing your life over. Give robbers whatever they wanted without any provocation.
Not my personal story, but funny nonetheless.

My brother was working as a clerk in a 7-11 along with his future wife (they hadn't even started dating at this point). It was a moonlighting job for my Bro as he was in the Army (yes, clearly a REMF).

Anyways, a large, intimidating looking man filled his car with gas, then walked into the store, went straight to the beer cooler, grabbed a case of beer with each hand and proceeded to walk straight to the door. My future SIL started to say something, and by brother promptly made it clear to her that she should remain quiet at that moment. The guy left, police were called, and a report was filled out. The store lost $40 worth of gas and beer, and no one was harmed. All in all, a very good outcome.

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”