Taco Bell employees pull guns on armed robbers

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

User avatar

Topic author
johncanfield
Senior Member
Posts: 940
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:04 pm
Location: Texas Hill Country

Taco Bell employees pull guns on armed robbers

Postby johncanfield » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:55 am

Found this tidbit today:

"....CLEVELAND (AP) — Police say three employees of a Cleveland fast food restaurant opened fire on two armed robbers, killing one. Authorities say two masked robbers entered a Taco Bell on Wednesday and ordered employees to the ground. Police say three employees pulled out their guns and fired, hitting one of the robbers six times. The other ran away. :thumbs2:

Investigators say the man who was shot was found with a loaded gun in his hand. He was taken to a hospital and pronounced dead......"
Ruger SR40, LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226, 1911 clone

User avatar

C-dub
Senior Member
Posts: 11641
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Taco Bell employees pull guns on armed robbers

Postby C-dub » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:08 am

:woohoo

I hope they don't lose their jobs. Also, it's too bad I can't stand Taco heck any more.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

User avatar

RogueUSMC
Senior Member
Posts: 1382
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:55 pm
Location: Smith County
Contact:

Re: Taco Bell employees pull guns on armed robbers

Postby RogueUSMC » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:20 am

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2017/09/armed_robber_fatally_shot_by_c.html
Jackson's criminal history includes three convictions for attempted drug trafficking since 2012. Jackson's cases were all referred to the Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court's mental health docket because Jackson's IQ was below 75, according to court records.
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

User avatar

mojo84
Senior Member
Posts: 7873
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:07 pm
Location: Boerne, TX (Kendall County)

Re: Taco Bell employees pull guns on armed robbers

Postby mojo84 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:41 am

The more potential victims stand up and defend themselves, the more the thugs will start to reconsider their actions. The laws aren't deterents but the high probability of leaving an attempted robbery in a body bag is.

User avatar

Topic author
johncanfield
Senior Member
Posts: 940
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:04 pm
Location: Texas Hill Country

Re: Taco Bell employees pull guns on armed robbers

Postby johncanfield » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:43 am

^^ Exactly what my wife and I said to each other. ^^
Ruger SR40, LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226, 1911 clone

User avatar

bmwrdr
Senior Member
Posts: 1014
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:05 pm

Re: Taco Bell employees pull guns on armed robbers

Postby bmwrdr » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:55 am

C-dub wrote::woohoo

I hope they don't lose their jobs. Also, it's too bad I can't stand Taco heck any more.


The food offered at Taco Bell isn't my preference either but in regards to the employees I wouldn't worry, their action was legal.

Taco Bell said in a statement to WMAR that the employees at the location were "very shaken up" about what happened and the franchise would be offering counseling to anyone who needs it.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/armed-taco-bell-employees-fatally-shoot-suspected-robber-article-1.3477111
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

User avatar

mojo84
Senior Member
Posts: 7873
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:07 pm
Location: Boerne, TX (Kendall County)

Re: Taco Bell employees pull guns on armed robbers

Postby mojo84 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:59 am

bmwrdr wrote:
C-dub wrote::woohoo

I hope they don't lose their jobs. Also, it's too bad I can't stand Taco heck any more.


The food offered at Taco Bell isn't my preference either but in regards to the employees I wouldn't worry, their action was legal.

Taco Bell said in a statement to WMAR that the employees at the location were "very shaken up" about what happened and the franchise would be offering counseling to anyone who needs it.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/armed-taco-bell-employees-fatally-shoot-suspected-robber-article-1.3477111


The problem is that they could still be fired if they violated company policy even though their actions were legal. Very few fast food workers can afford to lose their jobs.

User avatar

RogueUSMC
Senior Member
Posts: 1382
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:55 pm
Location: Smith County
Contact:

Re: Taco Bell employees pull guns on armed robbers

Postby RogueUSMC » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:01 am

mojo84 wrote:
bmwrdr wrote:
C-dub wrote::woohoo

I hope they don't lose their jobs. Also, it's too bad I can't stand Taco heck any more.


The food offered at Taco Bell isn't my preference either but in regards to the employees I wouldn't worry, their action was legal.

Taco Bell said in a statement to WMAR that the employees at the location were "very shaken up" about what happened and the franchise would be offering counseling to anyone who needs it.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/armed-taco-bell-employees-fatally-shoot-suspected-robber-article-1.3477111


The problem is that they could still be fired if they violated company policy even though their actions were legal. Very few fast food workers can afford to lose their jobs.

But fewer can afford to lose their lives...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

User avatar

mojo84
Senior Member
Posts: 7873
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:07 pm
Location: Boerne, TX (Kendall County)

Re: Taco Bell employees pull guns on armed robbers

Postby mojo84 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:12 am

RogueUSMC wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
bmwrdr wrote:
C-dub wrote::woohoo

I hope they don't lose their jobs. Also, it's too bad I can't stand Taco heck any more.


The food offered at Taco Bell isn't my preference either but in regards to the employees I wouldn't worry, their action was legal.

Taco Bell said in a statement to WMAR that the employees at the location were "very shaken up" about what happened and the franchise would be offering counseling to anyone who needs it.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/armed-taco-bell-employees-fatally-shoot-suspected-robber-article-1.3477111


The problem is that they could still be fired if they violated company policy even though their actions were legal. Very few fast food workers can afford to lose their jobs.

But fewer can afford to lose their lives...


Do you think I was implying they shouldn't have defended themselves in spite of my initial comment in this thread? I'm just concerned TB may fire them even though what they did was legal.

No need to look for an argument on this as I believe we are in agreement they did the right thing.

User avatar

Teamless
Senior Member
Posts: 3135
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:51 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Taco Bell employees pull guns on armed robbers

Postby Teamless » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:16 am

I just like it that 3 EMPLOYEES pulled their guns to defend themselves....
most places would be 0 or maybe 1...
Houston, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

User avatar

ScottDLS
Senior Member
Posts: 3930
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:04 am
Location: DFW Area, TX

Re: Taco Bell employees pull guns on armed robbers

Postby ScottDLS » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:30 am

I believe YUM Brands (based in Texas) Taco Bell franchises their restaurants. I would be surprised if 3 of the employees were carrying without knowledge of the owner of that location. But no doubt the corporation has some dumb antigun policies in their franchise agreements...for the 'children' and for 'liability' of course. Hopefully they will ignore them. :rules:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts: 2565
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Taco Bell employees pull guns on armed robbers

Postby Soccerdad1995 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:37 am

ScottDLS wrote:I believe YUM Brands (based in Texas) Taco Bell franchises their restaurants. I would be surprised if 3 of the employees were carrying without knowledge of the owner of that location. But no doubt the corporation has some dumb antigun policies in their franchise agreements...for the 'children' and for 'liability' of course. Hopefully they will ignore them. :rules:


It would be great if we could find a way to flip the liability issue around 180 degrees. Corporations that limit an individual's ability to protect themselves and others should be liable for the results of that limitation, whether the limitation is effected (affected?) by policy against employees, or 30.06 signage against customers. If your actions increase the likelihood of injury and / or death, then you should be civilly liable for the results of those actions, IMHO, even if the actions are perfectly legal.

Pass legislation to this effect and insurance companies will start charging increased rates to companies that restrict gun possession. That would be a huge help to our cause.
Ding dong, the witch is dead

User avatar

Topic author
johncanfield
Senior Member
Posts: 940
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:04 pm
Location: Texas Hill Country

Re: Taco Bell employees pull guns on armed robbers

Postby johncanfield » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:05 pm

Teamless wrote:I just like it that 3 EMPLOYEES pulled their guns to defend themselves.... most places would be 0 or maybe 1...

And that's what caught my eye as well! Bully for them. :cheers2:

An earlier post mentioned the employees might lose their jobs, there are a plethora of minimum wage jobs available so that would be no huge loss. Somebody willing to work could find a replacement job in a heartbeat.
Ruger SR40, LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226, 1911 clone

User avatar

Jusme
Senior Member
Posts: 3822
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Johnson County, Texas

Re: Taco Bell employees pull guns on armed robbers

Postby Jusme » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:14 pm

johncanfield wrote:
Teamless wrote:I just like it that 3 EMPLOYEES pulled their guns to defend themselves.... most places would be 0 or maybe 1...

And that's what caught my eye as well! Bully for them. :cheers2:

An earlier post mentioned the employees might lose their jobs, there are a plethora of minimum wage jobs available so that would be no huge loss. Somebody willing to work could find a replacement job in a heartbeat.



Someone willing to work, and protect their employer's property, will probably have a better than average chance, and may get more than minimum wage. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

User avatar

bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts: 2655
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: DFW, TX

Re: Taco Bell employees pull guns on armed robbers

Postby bblhd672 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:07 pm

mojo84 wrote:The more potential victims stand up and defend themselves, the more the thugs will start to reconsider their actions. The laws aren't deterents but the high probability of leaving an attempted robbery in a body bag is.


Except those thugs with an IQ of 75 - they'll continue to nominate themselves for Darwin Awards.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Member
“What ‘gun law’ would have prevented the Sutherland Springs church massacre? Or the Las Vegas massacre?"


Return to “Self-Defense Reports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest