Man shot to death in road rage incident in Cinco Ranch

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Man shot to death in road rage incident in Cinco Ranch

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

This happened just down the road from my house in a pretty safe area. Apparently, a guy believed he was cut off, got upset and started to assault the other driver at the next red light. I'm assuming that the emotions from the hurricane played a part in this.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/mass ... ed-in-katy

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Man shot to death in road rage incident in Cinco Ranch

Post by Beiruty »

Edited: There is no Honda SUV in the photo/videos. It looks like an Accord touring.
Last edited by Beiruty on Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

The first guy should have never gotten out of his vehicle, but, the shooter, could have had the opportunity, to drive away, even if it meant running a red light. Instead, he became as combative as the first guy, and then only fired, after he began losing the physical confrontation. Even, if he was "trapped", in traffic, he could have stayed in his locked car, with the window up, and called 9-1-1. Then if the attacker tried to force his way in, or broke the window, in my opinion, he would have been more justified in shooting him. As it was, and I realize it is keyboard quarterbacking, based on a news story, that may, or may not be accurate, the shooter became a mutual combatant.

I have always wondered, why, if being cut off, slows you down so much that you will be late somewhere, how you have time to fight about it? JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Jusme wrote:The first guy should have never gotten out of his vehicle, but, the shooter, could have had the opportunity, to drive away, even if it meant running a red light. Instead, he became as combative as the first guy, and then only fired, after he began losing the physical confrontation. Even, if he was "trapped", in traffic, he could have stayed in his locked car, with the window up, and called 9-1-1. Then if the attacker tried to force his way in, or broke the window, in my opinion, he would have been more justified in shooting him. As it was, and I realize it is keyboard quarterbacking, based on a news story, that may, or may not be accurate, the shooter became a mutual combatant.

I have always wondered, why, if being cut off, slows you down so much that you will be late somewhere, how you have time to fight about it? JMHO
I'm not sure I would conclude that the shooter was a mutual combatant. Unless the cars were moved after the incident, the convertible was not first in line at the light, so he may have been boxed in. The top was also down and witnesses report that the aggressor was throwing punches at the victims head, so it may have been too late to roll up the windows. Unfortunately, the shooter may have left himself with no escape route.

This is one reason why I always try to leave sufficient room between me and the vehicle in front to escape onto the sidewalk if nothing else. Of course, I'm not sure if a corvette is high enough off the ground to get over that curb.

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Apparently, the SUV (Touring) driver exited his vehicle and began a verbal and then physical confrontation with the driver of the yellow (Honda S2000) convertible. This confrontation did not go well for him since the driver of the convertible ended up shooting him.

What is in the report leaves a number of questions... Was the convertible locked in traffic with no way out? Did the aggressor present a deadly threat to the driver of the convertible (one presumes so since it looks like the police aren't holding him and have simply referred the case to a grand jury)? What could the convertible driver have possibly done that precipitated the behavior of the aggressor?

One thing does seem clear to me, though. A convertible with the top/windows down doesn't present much of an impediment to someone who might try to physically assault you.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

Beiruty wrote:There is no Honda SUV in the photo/videos. It looks like an Accord touring. And, there is no yellow Honda Convertible. It is a Corvette.
It looks to me it is a yellow Honda S2000
NRA Life Member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Middle Age Russ wrote:One thing does seem clear to me, though. A convertible with the top/windows down doesn't present much of an impediment to someone who might try to physically assault you.
Exactly. Contrary to the image that may want to project with convertibles, one is actually placing oneself lower on the food chain by driving one. And it's not just road-rage incidents. How about rollover accidents? OTH, decapitation is a quick and painless way to die, so there convertibles have that going for them......
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Yellow car is one of those little Honda convertibles. If you look carefully where they zoom in near the end of the segment, you can see the Honda 'H' logo on the wheel hubs. Current corvettes are 1) bigger, 2) have a squared off rear deck/valence, and 3) vettes do not have those useless mini roll bars behind the seats.....
Given how far back the two cars are from the intersection, I'd guess the convertible was boxed in by a line of cars. Poor strategy in general; even poorer strategy in a convertible where you have zero protection from mayhem's reach.......Let's see, serious harm to myself, or some damage to the underside of the car? Yeah, I'm going over the curb, and yes, with a motivated driver, even a 'short-legged' car like that one can make it.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Topic author
Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Middle Age Russ wrote:Apparently, the SUV (Touring) driver exited his vehicle and began a verbal and then physical confrontation with the driver of the yellow (Honda S2000) convertible. This confrontation did not go well for him since the driver of the convertible ended up shooting him.

What is in the report leaves a number of questions... Was the convertible locked in traffic with no way out? Did the aggressor present a deadly threat to the driver of the convertible (one presumes so since it looks like the police aren't holding him and have simply referred the case to a grand jury)? What could the convertible driver have possibly done that precipitated the behavior of the aggressor?

One thing does seem clear to me, though. A convertible with the top/windows down doesn't present much of an impediment to someone who might try to physically assault you.
I'm picturing the situation where the aggressor is standing and punching the convertible driver in the head. The drivers head would be about chest high to the assailant, so perfect positioning for him to attack. On the other hand, the convertible driver would be in a terrible position to counter attack since he would have to turn sideways and also get up on the seat somehow. In a situation like that, I could definitely see the convertible driver being at risk of losing consciousness, which would then have given the attacker all the time he needed to finish him off. So yes, I think the convertible driver was likely facing a deadly threat, assuming he could not drive away.

philip964

Post by philip964 »

In the aftermath of Harvey, I have noticed things are different. People seemed stressed more than normal.

On Wednesday the 25 th ( most of the rain came on Sunday) I went back to work as did everyone in my office, none of us were flooded) I was searching for street parking at the office, I approached the intersection, when a car coming at about 60 mph attempted to turn on to the street I was on. If he had been successful, he would have hit me head on. All I could do was stop, he hit the tree in front of me as he failed to maintain grip and oversteered into the tree. It was a new Dodge Challenger. The car was totaled all air bags deployed. Then unexpectantly the 24 yo male driver exited the car barefooted and ran toward me, I assumed he was running from the police and was going to car jack me so naturally, I just sat there, continued to have my life pass in front of me and watched still trying to process what had just happened. He ran by me and down the street, cursing at God and yelling out, " they have the nuclear codes".

Thursday, driving with my wife at night (people are out now and traffic lights are now backed up everywhere) two men up ahead at a bus stop are now harassing every car that is near them. I change lanes and make a left turn to avoid them.

Friday, again at night in a long line of traffic at a light a guy on a side street performs one of the more outrageous diving moves ever and cuts a guy off in the main lane. At the next stop offended guy jumps out of his car and starts screaming at the offending driver at his side window.

At this point I decide it's some sort of zombie infection in the flood waters.

Saturday, retail stores open every one has a security guard as you come in .

Good idea.

Hope it gets back to normal craziness soon.

rotor

Post by rotor »

We don't know if it was possible for the Honda driver to retreat. Legally he doesn't have to retreat though when his life is in danger. Fortunately there was a witness.

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”