Mrs. VolTexan...Part 1

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

oljames3

Re: Mrs. VolTexan...Part 1

Postby oljames3 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:47 pm

Thanks in no small part to Mrs. VolTexan's story, my wife is carrying her Ruger LCR .38 with her today as she is out and about in Austin. We both received our CHLs in 2013. Since then, I have been working patiently with her to mover her out of the untrained civilian mindset. Leading by example, I have carried consistently since 2013. I've been exposing her to the mindset of "when-then" as opposed to "if-then". In the self-defense discussion, if-then considers the possibility of the existence of evil. When-then acknowledges the certainty of the existence of evil. So, we train that, when the evil threat presents, we will respond with appropriate and superior violence.

English is an imprecise communication tool. Often, when we say "if-then" we really mean "when-then". I prefer to reduce the ambiguity and live in a "when-then" world as much as possible.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA Distinguished Life Member (Disabled Vet), TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
Vol Texan

Postby Vol Texan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:05 pm

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:The sad fact is that certain professions make you a more likely target, and life's randomness makes EVERYONE a potential target of crime. Mrs. VolTexan, by operating in yellow and having a plan(s) has proved once again the adage about "you don't have to be faster than the bear you just have to be faster than the other guy". So the goblins moved on to what they deemed to be less risky (less aware/prepared) targets. Operator level skills not needed. As Donald Hamilton put it in one of his novels, "if you show them that you're a wild woman with a gun, no one is going to ask to see your 'expert' rating". :thumbs2:

In this, you are so right! I joke that my wife practices the Bruce Banner method of diplomacy, "Please don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry."
Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

Armored Cav. | NRA Certified Pistol Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator

johncanfield

Postby johncanfield » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:07 pm

Great thread. My wife volunteers at our little library/resale shop and sometimes she has to work alone until 2000 or 2100 hours. The policy is for at least two volunteers to be on duty but sometimes that's not possible. The library is on US-290 and there's quite a bit through traffic from the west headed to points east. I am always worried when she's alone.

She always carries her Sig on her person (I make sure of that - we have an equipment check before she leaves the house) which is great. I really need to work with her and act out various scenarios if a "thing" has nefarious intentions in the building. To the OP - your wife did great! :cheers2:
Ruger SR40, LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226, 1911 clone

OldCurlyWolf

Postby OldCurlyWolf » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:18 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Now that's way too close to going bad! I'm glad she's okay.

Chas.

Yes to both sentiments.

Her spidey sense was spot on.

I just hope mine keeps working as well as it has in the past and hers currently is working.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Jusme

Postby Jusme » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:39 pm

OldCurlyWolf wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Now that's way too close to going bad! I'm glad she's okay.

Chas.

Yes to both sentiments.

Her spidey sense was spot on.

I just hope mine keeps working as well as it has in the past and hers currently is working.

Spidey sense is a good descriptor. Women have tested much better at detecting bad intentions, than men. Hence the term "women's intuition." It took me several years of training, and on the job application to develop my 'spidey sense" but women are much more tuned into body language, and other non-verbal, or conscious clues, than men.

That's probably why I can't get away with anything at home. :biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

5thGenTexan

Postby 5thGenTexan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:29 am

My ex-wife worked as the office manger for a large scrap metal company back in the '70's. They were robbed twice while we were married. They maintained a large cash drop daily from the armored car service. On both occasions the robber entered the office at the scales office pulled a pistol and took the cash bag that was just dropped off. On the first trip he netted the whole drop. Second time two months later my wife had dumped the cash into a drawer of her desk and he only got the stacks of ones, fives, and tens she had on her desk to verify against the talley sheet for the banks shipment.

This second trip resulted in them hardening the office by taking the paneling off the walls, skinning the entry room with 1/4" steel plate reapplying paneling over it, and electric door locks, with lexan windows and a drop chute to the scale room for cash. I know quite a few jewelry stores do utilize electric door access to reduce the odds of undesirable "tire kickers" from wondering in. In my opinion much more effective than posting a 30.06 or 30.7 sign, as I do not enter stores posted since they don't like me or my money.
5th Generation Texan
"Republicrats and Demicans, it ain't no surprise,
Got their hands full of gimme, they got their mouths full of lies."

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”