This Happened to Me

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1

ELB

Re: This Happened to Me

Postby ELB » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:40 am

When I was 14, in 1974, I went to Philmont Scout Ranch, which was a superb experience. About 30 or so scouts went by chartered bus, basically driving straight through from Bloomington, Indiana to Philmont, near Cimarron, New Mexico.

Somewhere in the middle of the night/very early morning we stopped at a bus station in Oklahoma city. It was almost entirely deserted. We had some time to kill, I don't recall the reason, whether we were changing drivers or what. We sat around on the ground floor, most of us snoozing, until it was time to get back on the bus.

After awhile I needed to go to the bathroom, which was downstairs. The stairway leading down was very wide, at least 20', built to handle a lot of people. Turned out to be a good thing it was so wide. The stairway was some distance from my group of scouts. As I got to the top of the stairway I vaguely noticed there was some guy sitting all by himself off to the side. I went down the right side of the stairs, and about half-dozen steps down I realized that he had just gotten up and started to come down the stairway as well. This struck me as very odd and not good. I immediately executed a large U-turn to the other side of the stairway and walked rather purposefully back up. Decided I could "hold it" for now. I think he came back up the stairway very shortly there after but my memory is fuzzy on this point. I do remember very clearly thinking "This Is Not Right" and changing course immediately.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
crazy2medic

Re: This Happened to Me

Postby crazy2medic » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:32 am

Story #3
This occurrence took place just before Christmas 1996, me and my wife had been out all day Christmas shopping, it was getting late and we were tired and decided to eat at the food court in Northeast Mall (yes I know) the eating area was practically empty, maybe two or three other couples or groups of people, I had finished eating and was waiting on my wife to finish. I noticed three males walking about the food court, after watching them for several minutes, I couldn't shake the image of a pack of dogs on the hunt, their mannerisms and presentation just kept the little voice in my head telling me they are looking for trouble! I told my wife to finish eating or bring it with you we are leaving, she ask me why, I told her those three are trouble, we are leaving. We grab our shopping bags and head for the exit, I made sure to not have anything in my left hand and unsnap the jacket I was wearing, as we go through the doors to the exit I look back to see where trouble is and they are heading for the exit we are going through, told my wife to go straight and not head for the van yet, as we are walking as fast as we can go, they are now in the parking lot "casually" following us, told my wife we are going to cross one line of parked cars to see if they are following us, we did and they did, now I'm in condition red, told the wife we are going to cross one more row of cars if they follow us I'm going to turn and meet them, you need to get in the van and go to my parents house, tell my dad he needs to bail me out of jail. We crossed the last line of cars and as I look back they had stopped before crossing where we did, they were having a discussion quietly but with alot of hand gestures, nearest I could figure one wanted to continue but the other two decide they were done following us, they turned and headed back into the mall. I had already made the mental decision that if I was forced to draw i was going to shoot all three, putting 2 rounds in each of them, thank God they clued in on something that told them that I wasn't a sheep for the slaughter!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”