This Happened to Me

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 5

This Happened to Me

Post by crazy2medic »

I've wanted to start this thread for awhile, this thread is intended to be "hijacked" as long as it meets the following criteria: this must be a incident you, your family, or somebody close that gives you first hand knowledge of the occurrence, must be self defense or likely could have gone to self defense! I have three stories to tell this will be the first one!

Back many eons ago I was 19 yo, I was out of high school and working the family business doing pest control, I did the actual work and my father sold the jobs and did Inspections, due to this both of us were in and out of the house at random times throughout the day, my mom stayed home and took care of answering the business phone, and doing the secretarial work and at the same time being housewife and mother. At that time we had a half lab half Irish setter mix his name was Leroy (as in bad bad Leroy brown) he was my dog and the family hunting dog, whenever my mom was by herself Leroy attached himself to her and was never more than a step away when me or my father were out working. On this day mom was fixing dinner and was getting towards 5 or so and mom expected me or my dad to be home any minute, when my mom heard the front storm door open and close she assumed it was me or my dad, she said she turned around to see a man standing at the opening to the Kitchen! My mom sees the man, the man sees my mom, Leroy sees the man and the man see Leroy and now the race is on! The man beat that dog to the door with no time to spare, the front storm door swung shut and latched and Leroy hit that door full tilt, bending the lower panel outward, my mom said she thought about letting Leroy out in pursuit but decided against it, she said Leroy walked around with his hackles up and didn't calm down until my dad walked through the door, that night mom made Leroy a steak, my dad told her you are not giving that dog a steak, my mom gave my dad the " don't challenge me on this" look and that was it!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Re: This Happened to Me

Post by C-dub »

It's funny that your story involves a dog. Mine involves a Rottie I used to have about 20 years ago.

Weather permitting, I used to take him with me as much as I could and if I had to make a stop somewhere would leave him in the truck with the windows down. He was obedience and protection trained well enough to be titled in both of those. He even took sixth place in a national obedience tournament way back when.

One day, on our way home, I stopped in Walmart to pick up something and while crossing that area in front of the store where autos are supposed to stop for pedestrians I was almost run over by someone that didn't want to yield, so I yelled, "Sorry I got in your way!" His windows were open and he heard me quite well. He parked and found me inside and followed me to the checkout line where he began pestering/taunting me. Calling me "old man" and other things and asking what I was going to do about it. I was 32-33 years old then and didn't think he was but maybe 5-6 years younger, but whatever. I don't recall saying anything back to him at all and just continued walking out to my car figuring nothing would become of it. BTW, this is also about 6 years before I had my CHL.

Anyway, he catches back up to me and bows up now that we're outside and he's kinda blocking me from crossing that area from the store into the parking lot. He keeps going on trying to goad me into doing something, I guess, when he finally notices an odd little smirk on my face and asks me why. I told that I know something he doesn't and asked him to turn around and look and that maroon truck about 50 or so feet away with the Rottweiler looking at him from the passenger seat. He didn't seem too impressed at first asking me if I was going to sic my dog on him. All I did was yell, "Jump!" Then a second later when his feet him the ground after jumping through the truck window, "Sit!" He immediately sat, while still twitching awaiting his next command. Then I yelled, "Truck!" He jumped back through the truck window, turned around, and stood there waiting. I told the guy, "You're call, but I'm not going to give him anther command. What he does next is up to you."

He turned and walked back inside the store and waiting for me to leave. Apparently, he didn't even want to try walking in my boy's direction and take that chance. He wouldn't have jumped back through that window without my command or unless I was being attacked, but still a good call.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

C-dub wrote:It's funny that your story involves a dog. Mine involves a Rottie I used to have about 20 years ago.

Weather permitting, I used to take him with me as much as I could and if I had to make a stop somewhere would leave him in the truck with the windows down. He was obedience and protection trained well enough to be titled in both of those. He even took sixth place in a national obedience tournament way back when.

One day, on our way home, I stopped in Walmart to pick up something and while crossing that area in front of the store where autos are supposed to stop for pedestrians I was almost run over by someone that didn't want to yield, so I yelled, "Sorry I got in your way!" His windows were open and he heard me quite well. He parked and found me inside and followed me to the checkout line where he began pestering/taunting me. Calling me "old man" and other things and asking what I was going to do about it. I was 32-33 years old then and didn't think he was but maybe 5-6 years younger, but whatever. I don't recall saying anything back to him at all and just continued walking out to my car figuring nothing would become of it. BTW, this is also about 6 years before I had my CHL.

Anyway, he catches back up to me and bows up now that we're outside and he's kinda blocking me from crossing that area from the store into the parking lot. He keeps going on trying to goad me into doing something, I guess, when he finally notices an odd little smirk on my face and asks me why. I told that I know something he doesn't and asked him to turn around and look and that maroon truck about 50 or so feet away with the Rottweiler looking at him from the passenger seat. He didn't seem too impressed at first asking me if I was going to sic my dog on him. All I did was yell, "Jump!" Then a second later when his feet him the ground after jumping through the truck window, "Sit!" He immediately sat, while still twitching awaiting his next command. Then I yelled, "Truck!" He jumped back through the truck window, turned around, and stood there waiting. I told the guy, "You're call, but I'm not going to give him anther command. What he does next is up to you."

He turned and walked back inside the store and waiting for me to leave. Apparently, he didn't even want to try walking in my boy's direction and take that chance. He wouldn't have jumped back through that window without my command or unless I was being attacked, but still a good call.
good story! Good dog is worth his weight in gold.
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I have 2 stories.
(1) Back in the late 70's, we had a German Shepherd named Queenie. We lived on a 2 acre plot with no fence. Queenie never left the yard for anything,including chasing critters. She would always greet us when we pulled into the driveway. She was also always very protective of my 3 girls. Anyway, one night we had gone to dinner and when we got home, Queenie did not greet us. I thought it was odd but maybe she was at the back of the lot and didn't see us. As you go through the front door to the house, there was a 1/2 bar between the living room and kitchen. When I went in, I could see the outline of Queenies head above the bar. I turned the light on and yep, it was her head up there just smiling as if she had gotten the fridge open and stolen some steaks. As I walk around the bar, I first noticed the glass shattered all over the floor from the patio door the next couple of steps I saw what she was grinning about. She was sitting on a man that was pretty well chewed up. His words to me were "mister, call the cops, let me go or shoot me but please get this crazy dog off of me. On a side note, one of the LEO's told me to go to the store as soon as they left and get a couple of signs that says Warning, Guard Dog on Duty and that if it came up in a civil suit, we would be covered.

(2) This is the reason that as soon as CHL was made law, I got mine. Back in the early 80's I was working on a 100 ton chiller (A/C unit) that was inside a fenced in enclosure. It was pretty loud inside that fence so I didn't hear the gate open but as I am squatted down, I have a gun stuck to the back of my head. He told me to give him my wallet. So I handed him my wallet and he grabbed by tool bucket and left. I had just gotten paid and cashed my check so he got away with about $400.00 and about $500.00 worth of tools. From that day forward, I was carrying a pistol, even though not legal, and learned to re-position myself so that my back was not to the openings of enclosures.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

tool4daman

Post by tool4daman »

I moved to Minnesota from the great state of Texas in 2003. I had been living in my cookie cutter community Minneapolis suburb for about a month when I got up early one morning to take my mother-in-law and grandmother-in-law to the airport for their flight back home. It was around 3:30 AM when we pulled out of our driveway. Our subdivision was brand new, so there were still empty lots and several lots with houses in various stages of construction. As I approached the exit of our subdivision, we passed a vehicle headed in the opposite direction. As soon as we passed the vehicle, it turns around to get behind me and begins flashing his lights at me. As luck would have it, I left my gun in my other vehicle in my garage and was not yet in the habit of carrying my cell phone. The local police station was a long distance away and I wasn't exactly sure where it was anyway, so I sped through the neighborhood headed back to my house to get my gun and call 911. The whole way back, I had the other car behind me flashing lights and keeping up with me as we were speeding through a residential neighborhood.

When we arrived home, I screeched to a stop in my driveway while the garage door was opening. I instructed the mother-in-law and grandmother-in-law to remain in the car and my wife to run into the house and call 911. I ran to my truck and pulled my pistol out. The other car had stopped in the street parked in front of my house. As I was getting my gun, I heard the door open on the other vehicle and when I had turned around I saw the driver side door opening. I held my pistol in the ready position and started yelling at the driver to "Stop, Don't get out of the vehicle, Let me see your hands, etc". I don't remember all the exact commands I gave, but I'm sure I used colorful language as I was just out of the army and my adrenaline was flowing. All of the sudden I see the door swing open and a VERY TALL and VERY LARGE man puts his hands up and yells my last name as he is identifying himself as one of my neighobrs. By this time, my gun had moved from the ready position and I was now pointing it directly at him.

As it turns out- it was a neighbor I had just met within the past few days. He had been up late watching tv, and had noticed a car driving slowly through the neighborhood which he assumed was casing the hood for a home/construction site to rob. Instead of calling the police, he took it upon himself to drive through the neighborhood and patrol it himself. When he saw my car, he thought it looked like the other car he had seen casing the hood- so he took it upon himself to chase me down.

Luckily, my wife had not dialed 911 yet before we realized this was our neighbor, and luckily I did not end up shooting him. During the mother-in-law and grandmother-in-law visit, my wife and I had been telling them about how safe the neighborhood was, and then this happened.
Best advice I was ever given- Don't mess with the dog while he's eatin'.

Topic author
crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Story #2: Once again we must travel back eons to around 79-80, my girlfriend at the time (now my wife) decided we should go on a picnic, so we stopped and got some fried chicken and we go to Sylvania park (first mistake) we picked out a picnic table that was in the shade but just a tad too far from my car (second mistake) we were talking and laughing and we hear two male voices a short distance away start commenting on my girlfriend's ample assets, these two individuals are at least 6' at least 200lbs to my 5'6" 150 lbs. Their comments became more crude and graphic, told my girlfriend walk for the car now! We started for the car and they began to follow still saying some pretty graphic things, when we made it into the car we locked the doors and these two thugs stood at the front of the car continuing the crude threats and I should have just left (third mistake) instead I reached under my seat and pulled out the mdl 19 S&W and place it in my lap, their demeanor completely changed, they no doubt knew what I had just done, I never raised the pistol where it could be seen but they decided that it might be best to seek entertainment elsewhere. That incident taught me #1 rule always pay attention to your surroundings! If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention!

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

John Daub is an instructor with KR Training http://www.krtraining.com. I've taken several classes from him and heard him recount this incident.
https://americanhandgunner.com/home-inv ... -incident/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

flechero

Post by flechero »

oljames3 wrote:John Daub is an instructor with KR Training http://www.krtraining.com. I've taken several classes from him and heard him recount this incident.
He's a good instructor- I've been in some of his classes, too. He's also a member here.

Thanks for the link, I knew of the incident but never the details.

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cmgee67 »

This happened to me this year. I was sitting at a gas station waiting on a co-worker because I had paper work I had to give him. I pulled in to a spot close to the road so he could easily see my vehicle when he was coming off the interstate. It was 1:00 in the afternoon. The middle of the day. People everywhere. Where my vehicle was parked had a grass median in front and to the right of me and a car to the left of me. There was also a big sign in front of my truck so the only option of leaving was to back up. Normally I back into parking spaces so I can always leave but this time I was in a hurry. I looked in my rear view mirror and see a white 90 somethin model Chevy truck enter the parking lot on the opposite side. For some reason I paid extra attention to this truck. It kept gettin closer to me and closer and with a gas pump behind me I figured he was about to turn and get gas. He sped up and slammed on his brakes about 6 inches from by back bumper boxing me in and flew out of his truck comin at a very fast pace. I placed my hand on my gun because I knew I had nowhere to go if things turned sour. I have rain guards on my windows and the window was cracked about an inch but not low enough for him to get a hand in. He got by my drivers door and said HEY!!! I said what do you want in a stern voice. He said I need gas money. I said I can’t help you he said all I need is two dollars and told me where he lived and just needed to get home and asked if I was sure I didn’t want to help him. I told him no I will not help him. He screamed FINE! Ran to his truck got in and sped off and got on the interstate. Thirty seconds later my co-worker pulled in. I then covered my firearm and went on with my life. I’m confident he never saw the gun because of my tinted windows and due to the fact It didn’t come out of my holster. This goes to show you that you never know when something is going to happen. And always being prepared is not such a bad idea. I will not leave the house without a gun of some kind with me. Even if it’s running down the road to see my folks.

Topic author
crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I will not leave the house without a gun of some kind with me
:iagree:
As Somebody has so succinctly put it, it's not about the odds, it's about the stakes!

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cmgee67 »

Can’t agree more!

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

:iagree:

You just never know.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Two incidents in my life where a firearm has been pointed at me. Both times the end of the barrel looked HUGE! One was a 12ga shotgun, the other a large frame revolver.
FIrst incident involved being someplace in Guam where the Navy had specifically told us we shouldn't end up due to the high probability of being robbed at best, murdered at worst. Fortunately for me and the guys with me, it was just robbery. There was a bit of humor after the fact when we all realized that we would live. One of the guys was the bragging tough guy, claimed to have been Army MP prior to Navy, always talking about how capable he was- when the bad guys pulled out their shotgun, he was first one to hit the ground with hands on his head. He never bragged about how bad he was around us after that.
Second incident involved the San Diego "Hades" Angels showing up at my apartment door one morning looking for someone who didn't live there. Nice enough guys after the leader decided I was telling the truth about the person they were looking for wasn't there and put his pistol away. Actually apologized for the intrusion.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Nano

Post by Nano »

I 100% agree. If it is someplace I haven't been before I always check the Texas 3006 website, usually on the app on my phone.
NRA Member

ELB

Post by ELB »

When I was 14, in 1974, I went to Philmont Scout Ranch, which was a superb experience. About 30 or so scouts went by chartered bus, basically driving straight through from Bloomington, Indiana to Philmont, near Cimarron, New Mexico.

Somewhere in the middle of the night/very early morning we stopped at a bus station in Oklahoma city. It was almost entirely deserted. We had some time to kill, I don't recall the reason, whether we were changing drivers or what. We sat around on the ground floor, most of us snoozing, until it was time to get back on the bus.

After awhile I needed to go to the bathroom, which was downstairs. The stairway leading down was very wide, at least 20', built to handle a lot of people. Turned out to be a good thing it was so wide. The stairway was some distance from my group of scouts. As I got to the top of the stairway I vaguely noticed there was some guy sitting all by himself off to the side. I went down the right side of the stairs, and about half-dozen steps down I realized that he had just gotten up and started to come down the stairway as well. This struck me as very odd and not good. I immediately executed a large U-turn to the other side of the stairway and walked rather purposefully back up. Decided I could "hold it" for now. I think he came back up the stairway very shortly there after but my memory is fuzzy on this point. I do remember very clearly thinking "This Is Not Right" and changing course immediately.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”