IL: Hoosier with LTCH kills robber in Chicago

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 3

IL: Hoosier with LTCH kills robber in Chicago

Post by ELB »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... story.html
Police said Haggard went up to a 31-year-old man who was leaving a store, announced a robbery and pulled out a gun. The other man also pulled out a gun and fired, hitting Haggard in the chest.
The "other man" had a valid License to Carry Handgun from Indiana. This was on Christmas Eve.
USAF 1982-2005

rotor
Posts in topic: 1

Re: IL: Hoosier with LTCH kills robber in Chicago

Post by rotor »

I didn't know Illinois accepted an Indiana LTC.

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

rotor wrote:I didn't know Illinois accepted an Indiana LTC.
I don't think they do, actually. Awaiting further news.
USAF 1982-2005

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

It will be interesting to see if the IL resident is charged with UCW.

Chas.

CleverNickname
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CleverNickname »

ELB wrote:
Illinois doesn't accept any other state's permit. Not only that, they'll only allow residents from a few other states to even apply for a non-resident Illinois permit. Texas is one of those states, but IIRC the application cost is something ridiculous like $300, and you have to take the required class in Illinois.

Bruin98

Post by Bruin98 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:It will be interesting to see if the IL resident is charged with UCW.

Chas.
He's dead. It would be interesting to see if the IN resident is charged for carrying and if he has to pay the fine and/or go to jail.

Violators of the current law would be subject to a Class A misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $2,500.

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

CleverNickname wrote:
ELB wrote:
Illinois doesn't accept any other state's permit. Not only that, they'll only allow residents from a few other states to even apply for a non-resident Illinois permit. Texas is one of those states, but IIRC the application cost is something ridiculous like $300, and you have to take the required class in Illinois.
You recall correctly. My son and I took the 16 hour class with a Texas instructor licensed to give the Illinois class. It does cost $300 and it takes 120 days. We took the class over Thanksgiving and are 30 days into the 120 days.

What I do not understand is if you take the Illinois course, pass the background check, etc., why any person cannot get the Illinois permit since the state law authorizes permits to non-residents. Why only residents with permits from certain states. We have immediate family in Illinois which is why we took the course.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

CleverNickname
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CleverNickname »

OneGun wrote: What I do not understand is if you take the Illinois course, pass the background check, etc., why any person cannot get the Illinois permit since the state law authorizes permits to non-residents. Why only residents with permits from certain states. We have immediate family in Illinois which is why we took the course.
Because the law allows them to limit issuance to people from states where the law is substantially similar, and they want fewer people carrying guns more than they want the $300. Remember, Illinois only passed concealed-carry legislation when they were forced to do so by a federal appeals court. If they hadn't, permitless carry would have been legal, and that would have basically been the end of the world as far as the Illinois state government is concerned.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

A couple of clarifications:

1. You do not have to take the class _in_ Illinois. You just have to take the class from a licensed IL instructor. I took mine in Plano.

2. IL allows any visitor with a license to CC in their home state to conceal carry in their vehicle, and to "transport", i.e., carry unloaded i a locked case.

3. Only four states are currently deemed "substantially similar" to get an IL CCL. IN is not one of them. I hope the guy is no-billed for self defense. The Chicago courts I hear would not like to prosecute and open a can of worms.

Onegun, I got mine in 102 days, good luck.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

Second City Cop has a couple posts on this. If you've not been to his blog before, he's a retired Chicago cop that focuses on crime in Chicago and politics in the police department. A lot of his commenters are cops in the department (but generally anonymous). He's definitely a pro2A guy. Doesn't use the same language rules as TexasCHLforum, so be prepared.

http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/2017/ ... oting.html

http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/2017/ ... a-ccl.html

He makes an interesting comment in the first post:
This would put Concealed Carriers exactly one single shooting behind the Chicago Police Department, with a week left in the year. That should be a national headline.
Stringing together all the comments (and assuming they are legit) it sounds like the Hoosier was initially cuffed and detained, but then released without charges.

All subject to further information...

ETA: SCC has a post on the numbers of SD shootings versus police shootings. Note this is before the Indiana guy bagged a robber:
http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/2017/ ... egory.html
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”