OK: Oklahoma restaurant shooter had license as armed guard; attack stopped by 2 armed men

This is the forum for self-defense stories and reports, whether yours or those of others.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 3

OK: Oklahoma restaurant shooter had license as armed guard; attack stopped by 2 armed men

Post by ELB »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 643726002/

Man who had security guard license went to doorway of restaurant and started randomly shooting at patrons inside. Woman and two kids hit. Two other guys in the parking lot shot him dead.

Most shocking news: CNN headlined it like this:

Armed bystanders kill shooter at Oklahoma City restaurant

When it was originally thought there was only one good guy with a gun, CNN headline was "Armed citizen kills shooter at Oklahoma City restaurant".

But they run a gun control video right after the article, complete with "gun show loophole."
Last edited by ELB on Fri May 25, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USAF 1982-2005

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 1

Re: OK: Oklahoma restaurant shooter had license as armed guard; attack stopped by 2 armed men

Post by Lynyrd »

I wonder why both of the men who confronted the shooter did not have their weapons on them at the time? Obviously they were ready willing and able to use them.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

C-dub

Re: OK: Oklahoma restaurant shooter had license as armed guard; attack stopped by 2 armed men

Post by C-dub »

Maybe it was because he wasn't convicted, but otherwise, how does one get a security guard license after having been arrest for domestic battery?

The article also says that the restaurant was a confined place and no one would be able to get away, but thankfully two guys were able to stop the shooter. They don't really read their own articles much, do they?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Lynyrd wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:44 pm I wonder why both of the men who confronted the shooter did not have their weapons on them at the time? Obviously they were ready willing and able to use them.
Maybe the restaurant was posted and the good guys had stored their firearms in the trunk while they were eating.

TITLE 21 § 1290.22 - BUSINESS OWNER’S RIGHTS

A. Except as provided in subsection B of this section, nothing contained in any provision of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, … shall be construed to limit, restrict or prohibit in any manner the existing rights of any person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity to control the possession of weapons on any property owned or controlled by the person or business entity.

B. No person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity shall be permitted to establish any policy or rule that has the effect of prohibiting any person, except a convicted felon, from transporting and storing firearms in a locked vehicle on any property set aside for any vehicle.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

troglodyte wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:00 pm
Lynyrd wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:44 pm I wonder why both of the men who confronted the shooter did not have their weapons on them at the time? Obviously they were ready willing and able to use them.
Maybe the restaurant was posted and the good guys had stored their firearms in the trunk while they were eating.

TITLE 21 § 1290.22 - BUSINESS OWNER’S RIGHTS

A. Except as provided in subsection B of this section, nothing contained in any provision of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, … shall be construed to limit, restrict or prohibit in any manner the existing rights of any person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity to control the possession of weapons on any property owned or controlled by the person or business entity.

B. No person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity shall be permitted to establish any policy or rule that has the effect of prohibiting any person, except a convicted felon, from transporting and storing firearms in a locked vehicle on any property set aside for any vehicle.
Just saw a news clip from in front of the restaurant and it was posted with a gunbuster sign. Legally, this sign is a prohibition per the state statute, but there is no criminal penalty for carrying past it.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

TimLanders

Post by TimLanders »

Blue Lives Matter has confirmed that Louie's has a sign on their door prohibiting firearms. It has not been confirmed that this is the reason the heroes had to run to to their vehicles to get their weapons.
I wonder if that sign will stay up.

https://www.themaven.net/bluelivesmatte ... YEfGVnBBA/

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Why did these two bystanders think they were LEO's and get involved in something that was none of their business? They should have called 911 and run away. How did they know the shooter wasn't a LEO doing a no knock warrant on the restaurant for serving minors. And were the bystanders veterans? This is very important to the story. :???:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

ScottDLS wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 7:05 pm Why did these two bystanders think they were LEO's and get involved in something that was none of their business? They should have called 911 and run away. How did they know the shooter wasn't a LEO doing a no knock warrant on the restaurant for serving minors. And were the bystanders veterans? This is very important to the story. :???:
I don't know if the two bystanders thought they were or playing LEOs. We only know they took action and are being treated as heros by the police and the media. My understanding from one of TV news stories I saw said the shooter was wearing hearing and eye protection. If that is accurate, I guess a guy with hearing muffs on and shooting into a restaurant from outside the restaurant's door would look out of place. It also depends on whether the two bystanders saw who the shooter was aiming at in the restaurant.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Scott B. »

I happened to be in the OKC area when this happened. Very interesting to see local media and the police spokesman refer to the armed civilian (only knew of 1 at the time) as a hero.

One of the responding good guys, not a customer - heard commotion and drove in, was getting his med kit from his trunk when he was made aware of the shooter and retrieved a weapon.

I'm wondering if both responding good guys went to rifles?

One shooter quoted saying, "he stopped the threat.". Obviously key phrase for any concealed carrier.

Area is on an artificial lake with several eateries and a popular walking/jogging path that borders the water.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

Allons
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Allons »

I'm glad the threat was stopped, but I'm wondering what would make an armed security guard start shooting people in a restaurant?
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

He wasn't there in a security guard capacity.

The hearing protection and shooting glasses was an interesting touch.

Hope the young ladies make full recoveries.

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

Not a whole of new info on this, but did find this interesting:
Whittle is a master sergeant in the Oklahoma Air National Guard. He says he got his .40-caliber semi-automatic pistol and moved toward where everyone was pointing. He says he crouched behind parked cars for cover.

Whittle says he isn't a hero. He says: "I'm just an average guy who had the right tool to help at the right time."

Whittle wasn't aware that another armed civilian was helping until the suspect fell to the ground.

Allons
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Allons »

Oklahoma restaurant shooter on FBI radar

https://www.ksat.com/news/national/okla ... adar-twice
NRA Member
US Army 1988-1999

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

...Whittle said he and his wife were driving by the lakeside restaurant, Louie’s On The Lake, when they saw a commotion outside. Whittle said he pulled into the parking lot, and witnesses pointed out the gunman, who investigators say had shot and wounded a woman and two girls inside.

“I just reacted,” the 39-year-old said. “I wasn’t thinking about anything other than I had to stop this guy and I’m not going to die here.”

Whittle, a master sergeant in the Oklahoma Air National Guard, said he grabbed his .40-caliber semi-automatic pistol and moved toward where everyone was pointing. He said he crouched behind parked cars for cover and yelled at the gunman to drop his weapon. He realized the gunman was wearing protective ear gear, so he gestured with his hand, but the gunman raised his weapon.

Whittle said he heard gunshots. He dove. He said he jumped back up and ran around to the other side of the car. The gunman turned around and looked at him.

“I see the gun again in his hand. And then I, you know, finished trying to stop the threat. Until he fell on the ground,” Whittle said.

He wasn’t aware that another armed civilian had come to help until he heard that man say, “Clear him. I got you. Clear him.”

The other armed bystander, Juan Carlos Nazario, is a trained security guard. He hasn’t talked at length with the media about the confrontation, but he told local television station KWTV that he “just did what I was trained to do to neutralize the situation.”
https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your ... erage-guy/

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ELB »

Gee. Two armed civilians independently take on the same bad guy and somehow manage not to shoot each other or anyone else (except the bad guy ;-) ) in a wild flurry of mis-aimed bullets and misidentification. And they weren't even gunned down by the police. It's a miracle. :roll:
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Self-Defense Reports”