Blind dog

Please help these rescued animals find a home. Some are in no-kill shelters, but many are living on borrowed time. These posts are from other organizations unrelated to the Forum, so the information cannot be verified.

Moderator: carlson1

loktite
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Blind dog

Post by loktite »

I would be inclined to say you would want to start with a small area. Hopefully the dog's sense of smell is intact, would be its best navigator. You also might try a quiet music source like a baby's mobile or something for where "home base" is.... but yeah, it's gonna bump into things regardless. Even a dog that has gone blind in an old environment bumps into things. The dog will learn to slow down, but with something the size of a chow, you''ll definitely want to secure loose items on furniture he could path to :)
NRA Endowment Member

rotor

Post by rotor »

My wife found a dog that she brought home, a boston, we opened the back door, she walked out and fell into the pool. That's when we knew she was blind. She never did that again. Turned out to be an excellent dog though and was my wife's favorite dog for many years. She adapted very well. We usually have three dogs and they all fit in quite well. She was very smart but had been abused. When we had a house party we would put a sign on her that said she was blind so people would not trip on her.

RJGold

Post by RJGold »

We have a blind dachshund now...

When she's at home, you would never know she's blind. She motors around the house with ease and almost never runs into anything (unless something is out of place).

She adapts well to new places and places we visit infrequently. When we visit my folks' house (two or three times a year), it is clear to me she remembers where she is and where things are.

The advice on an earlier post is good. Start them in a small space. Use baby gates to limit acces to other rooms and dangerous areas (stairs, pools). Gradually expand their range into other rooms. They will learn. Also, give them a safe place to go to (kennel, bed area). They will learn where it is and can go there anytime they want to be in their "safe zone".

Watching our dog, she clearly uses her sense of hearing to help her navigate (she hears her echos off walls) as well as her sense of smell to navigate.

Our dog became blind one eye at a time due to a congenital deffect that dachshunds have (a form of glaucoma). We had her on glaucoma medication and she still lost both eyes over a period of a couple years. I am glad that we didn't listen to some folks and put her down. She adapted well and is still a great dog.

I wish you good luck with whatever you choose to do with your potential adoption.

ETA - My wife also leaves music or the TV on when we're away from the house so our dog has some background noise. For a dog that's lost its sight, it's probably worth doing so it has some form of reference noise?
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

rmoraes

Post by rmoraes »

B"H
My English Setter Argos passed in 2011 and was near blind, painful for me and my wife. I'd recommend to contact one of many rescues and asking few questions. I've been working with an English Setter rescue since 2011 and they have trainers/foster parents with such experience.
http://www.swesr.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rick KG5VKX
NRA Life Member - NRA Pistol Instructor
Glock and Sig Sauer Armorer

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I have a couple rescue dogs. They are wonderful members of our family. I commend you for what you are considering.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

When we lived in town our neighbor had two blind dachshunds and they seemed to get by pretty well. I think the dog will adapt and be just fine. As someone with 5 dogs --one adopted and four that were dumped on the roads out where we live in the country-- I think it's a very good thing you're considering.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

My boston terrier Tito is blind. He seems to have memorized inside and around our home. No-one other than my family know hes blind because he has adapted so well. His hearing is excellent. He can play fetch and can get the ball so long he gets to it before its stops moving. When I take him to places he doesn't go often and unleash him, his lack of sight becomes obvious, but he seems to memorize new places quickly. Tito is so awesome. Please do not let the dogs illness stop you from adopting him/her. Bless him/her with a new loving family and home.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

Check this out for blind dogs. A very good idea for sure. Dogs will adapt quickly and you can teach them sound commands.

http://muffinshalo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Animal Rescue”