What is CHLs United?

CHL's United is a movement with a single goal of removing unnecessary and potentially dangerous restrictions on Texas Concealed Handgun Licensees.

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1


Abraham
Senior Member
Posts: 6990
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 am

Re: What is CHLs United?

Postby Abraham » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:46 am

Bump

User avatar

kjolly
Senior Member
Posts: 512
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:00 am

Re: What is CHLs United?

Postby kjolly » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:33 pm

I think this is a great idea. I'm in. Paid with paypal with no problem.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us


DanD
Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:09 pm

Re: What is CHLs United?

Postby DanD » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:18 pm

I just joined. Thank you Chas for starting CHLs United.
Given a 50/50 chance, you will pick wrong 80% of the time. NRA Life Member, IDPA

User avatar

Charlies.Contingency
Senior Member
Posts: 808
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:58 pm
Location: South Central Texas

Re: What is CHLs United?

Postby Charlies.Contingency » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:45 pm

Are you going to do any public fundraisers for this? I wouldn't mind coming out and donating more if you had any fundraisers at a venue in San Antonio.
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

User avatar

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts: 16589
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: What is CHLs United?

Postby Charles L. Cotton » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:19 am

Charlies.Contingency wrote:Are you going to do any public fundraisers for this? I wouldn't mind coming out and donating more if you had any fundraisers at a venue in San Antonio.


I have no plans for a pure fundraiser at this point, although I will do some public appearances to encourage people to join the movement. I appreciate your willingness to donate more, but I really only want people to pay the $10, recruit every CHL they can, and respond to calls-to-action when they are issued. The key in repealing the unnecessary restrictions is a large movement, so people are everything. The money generated will allow us to let everyone know how large we are, simply because of the type of advertising (a/k/a expensive) we would be doing.

If I had time, I'd rent a table at some gun shows to promote CHLs United, but I'm committed every weekend of the month. That would be a good audience to promote the cause.

If you want to donate more, then you can do that by supporting the Texas Firearms Coalition, but that money will be used for everything, not just CHLs United.


Thanks,
Chas.
Image

User avatar

RPBrown
Senior Member
Posts: 4004
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:56 am
Location: Irving, Texas

Re: What is CHLs United?

Postby RPBrown » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:56 am

Just joined
NRA-Life member
TSRA-Life member
Image

User avatar

LSUTiger
Senior Member
Posts: 1107
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:36 pm

Re: What is CHLs United?

Postby LSUTiger » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:33 am

Just joined! :txflag:

I used PayPal!
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

User avatar

n5wmk
Senior Member
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:45 pm
Location: Lucas, TX

Re: What is CHLs United?

Postby n5wmk » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:01 am

Just joined! Charles, thanks for organizing this!
EDC XDS .45
NRA Patriot Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

User avatar

Charlies.Contingency
Senior Member
Posts: 808
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:58 pm
Location: South Central Texas

Re: What is CHLs United?

Postby Charlies.Contingency » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:38 am

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Charlies.Contingency wrote:Are you going to do any public fundraisers for this? I wouldn't mind coming out and donating more if you had any fundraisers at a venue in San Antonio.


I have no plans for a pure fundraiser at this point, although I will do some public appearances to encourage people to join the movement. I appreciate your willingness to donate more, but I really only want people to pay the $10, recruit every CHL they can, and respond to calls-to-action when they are issued. The key in repealing the unnecessary restrictions is a large movement, so people are everything. The money generated will allow us to let everyone know how large we are, simply because of the type of advertising (a/k/a expensive) we would be doing.

If I had time, I'd rent a table at some gun shows to promote CHLs United, but I'm committed every weekend of the month. That would be a good audience to promote the cause.

If you want to donate more, then you can do that by supporting the Texas Firearms Coalition, but that money will be used for everything, not just CHLs United.


Thanks,
Chas.

Thank you for the response Chas. I agree with you that the gunshows would be a good place to promote this movement, and I hope to see others join in on the call as well. I do my best to support TFC and the NRA, but I sometimes feel like sending a check is lacking of support. If there is anything more we can do to you help you, would you please make sure to let us know? You have a plethora of supporters here that may be willing to help out any way they can, including me. So if you find the need for helping hands, don't hesitate to ask.

On a side note, I have been looking at the information you have provided about the movement, and I wanted to ask a few questions.

Did you go ahead and make a tangible organization for this, with the whole non-profit route and such? 501(c)(4) or 501(c)(6) type non-profit I would imagine.

If this is a serious political movement that you are drawing together, how is it going to be structured and run? Will you be the sole organizer and decision maker when it comes to the use of funds?

I personally would like to "see" this movement, more so than I "see" some of our other political movements, which I only see adds for. I have always believed that human interaction is more effective at communication a message, then advertisement, though it is far more limited on it's reach.

That's all I have for now Chas, and I apologize for being so inquisitive, but I have been more and more interested in doing more to get things done. I know a lot of people would like to just mail off a check and say they've done their part, but that's not satisfying for me. Thank you!
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.


omegaman
Member
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:02 pm
Location: Corpus Christi, TX

Re: What is CHLs United?

Postby omegaman » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:47 pm

I'm in.

User avatar

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts: 16589
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: What is CHLs United?

Postby Charles L. Cotton » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:42 pm

Charlies.Contingency wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Charlies.Contingency wrote:Are you going to do any public fundraisers for this? I wouldn't mind coming out and donating more if you had any fundraisers at a venue in San Antonio.


I have no plans for a pure fundraiser at this point, although I will do some public appearances to encourage people to join the movement. I appreciate your willingness to donate more, but I really only want people to pay the $10, recruit every CHL they can, and respond to calls-to-action when they are issued. The key in repealing the unnecessary restrictions is a large movement, so people are everything. The money generated will allow us to let everyone know how large we are, simply because of the type of advertising (a/k/a expensive) we would be doing.

If I had time, I'd rent a table at some gun shows to promote CHLs United, but I'm committed every weekend of the month. That would be a good audience to promote the cause.

If you want to donate more, then you can do that by supporting the Texas Firearms Coalition, but that money will be used for everything, not just CHLs United.


Thanks,
Chas.

Thank you for the response Chas. I agree with you that the gunshows would be a good place to promote this movement, and I hope to see others join in on the call as well. I do my best to support TFC and the NRA, but I sometimes feel like sending a check is lacking of support. If there is anything more we can do to you help you, would you please make sure to let us know? You have a plethora of supporters here that may be willing to help out any way they can, including me. So if you find the need for helping hands, don't hesitate to ask.

The best thing, indeed the only thing, to be done now is beat the bushes and get every CHL you talk to to join the CHLs United movement. When we get closer to the election in 2016, then there will be more to do, but I have to be careful not to violate Texas campaign laws. For example, CHLs United will NOT have a PAC, but I'll email folks and tell them I met with Senator X and I'm going to send him $1. :thumbs2: We will have phone trees (no, they are not antiquated) with people responsible for getting folks on their list to call, write, email, or all three, Senators and House Members when appropriate. I hope to have the money to buy expensive TV and radio time (i.e. during peak listening hours) and perhaps billboards, though their political impact is questionable. Expensive advertising does not merely reach more people, it sends a message about the power of a movement. Much more will be done depending upon timing, but we know that anti-gunners read the Forum, so I won't post more details.

Charlies.Contingency wrote:On a side note, I have been looking at the information you have provided about the movement, and I wanted to ask a few questions.

Did you go ahead and make a tangible organization for this, with the whole non-profit route and such? 501(c)(4) or 501(c)(6) type non-profit I would imagine.

No. CHLs United is intended to be a single-issue movement within the Texas Firearms Coalition. When restrictions are repealed, the Movement's mission will have been accomplished and it will be dissolved. (This is more complex with a legal entity, and even more so with a tax exempt organization.) This could change if we see bad bills pass that impact CHL/LTC, but I don't anticipate that happening. While it could be used to promote less obvious improvements such as fee reduction or deleting some of the unnecessary eligibility requirements, none of those issues are likely to strike a chord with the majority of CHLs. I believe that having a single-issue grassroots movement that will cease to exist once its only goal is achieved will be more powerful. It will also avoid being labeled as "just another pro-gun group." The NRA is the standing army for the Second Amendment. CHLs United is more in the nature of a militia that is called up to do battle for a limited time, then dissolve.

For reasons I will not discuss publicly (or privately for that matter), I do not seek tax exempt status for any Second Amendment advocacy organization. I will say the decision was based upon recommendations by a CPA/Attorney who specializes in getting tax exempt status for organizations and in filing their specialized tax returns.

Charlies.Contingency wrote:If this is a serious political movement that you are drawing together, how is it going to be structured and run? Will you be the sole organizer and decision maker when it comes to the use of funds?

It's serious on my part, but how serious it will be in terms of its impact on the Texas Legislature will be determined by the number of people who join the movement AND respond to calls-to-action.

Yes, I will be the only decision-maker in terms of CHL's United activities and expenditures. I will seek advice from people in various industries when it comes to making purchases in areas that are unfamiliar to me, and I will seek advice about certain areas of the State in terms of operations, legislative potential, etc. CHLs United will not use a legislative committee approach. I have worked with TSRA since 1987 and the NRA since 2001 as part of a legislative team. This approach is absolutely necessary for an organization that must evaluate numerous issues and potential bills, then pick some to promote and others to leave "on the table" until a future session. CHLs United does not have to make those decisions. We have one goal. Plus, I must admit that I've wanted repeal of off-limits areas to be a flagship bill for ten years now, but it hasn't happened.

Charlies.Contingency wrote:I personally would like to "see" this movement, more so than I "see" some of our other political movements, which I only see adds for. I have always believed that human interaction is more effective at communication a message, then advertisement, though it is far more limited on it's reach.

I think I know what you mean, but I may be wrong. Traveling around a state as large as Texas is not a wise use of money. TV and radio ads are seen by far more people than I could ever address if I was to attend an event five days a week. If funding permits, I plan to use TexasShooting.TV to promote several things, including CHLs United. While I will travel some, it will be only when it makes sense in the overall campaign. Hopefully, we'll have people with public speaking experience to serve as spokesmen/spokeswomen in various areas around the State.

Charlies.Contingency wrote:That's all I have for now Chas, and I apologize for being so inquisitive, but I have been more and more interested in doing more to get things done. I know a lot of people would like to just mail off a check and say they've done their part, but that's not satisfying for me. Thank you!


I don't mind the questions at all. I'll reiterate, unless the response to this effort is massive, then we will not have an impact on the 2017 Texas Legislative Session. Removal of off-limits areas is warranted and it is safe, but it is still considered radical by many in Austin, including House and Senate leadership. Only the pressure of hundreds of thousands of CHLs will get past that resistance.

Chas.
Image

User avatar

Charlies.Contingency
Senior Member
Posts: 808
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:58 pm
Location: South Central Texas

Re: What is CHLs United?

Postby Charlies.Contingency » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:41 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:The best thing, indeed the only thing, to be done now is beat the bushes and get every CHL you talk to to join the CHLs United movement. When we get closer to the election in 2016, then there will be more to do, but I have to be careful not to violate Texas campaign laws. For example, CHLs United will NOT have a PAC(Political Action Committee?), but I'll email folks and tell them I met with Senator X and I'm going to send him $1. :thumbs2: We will have phone trees (no, they are not antiquated) with people responsible for getting folks on their list to call, write, email, or all three, Senators and House Members when appropriate. I hope to have the money to buy expensive TV and radio time (i.e. during peak listening hours) and perhaps billboards, though their political impact is questionable. Expensive advertising does not merely reach more people, it sends a message about the power of a movement. Much more will be done depending upon timing, but we know that anti-gunners read the Forum, so I won't post more details.


Thank you, I understand Chas. There are plenty of people across the state that would/could/should support this movement, but we have to let them know and inform them if we expect their help.



Charles L. Cotton wrote:No. CHLs United is intended to be a single-issue movement within the Texas Firearms Coalition. When restrictions are repealed, the Movement's mission will have been accomplished and it will be dissolved. (This is more complex with a legal entity, and even more so with a tax exempt organization.) This could change if we see bad bills pass that impact CHL/LTC, but I don't anticipate that happening. While it could be used to promote less obvious improvements such as fee reduction or deleting some of the unnecessary eligibility requirements, none of those issues are likely to strike a chord with the majority of CHLs. I believe that having a single-issue grassroots movement that will cease to exist once its only goal is achieved will be more powerful. It will also avoid being labeled as "just another pro-gun group." The NRA is the standing army for the Second Amendment. CHLs United is more in the nature of a militia that is called up to do battle for a limited time, then dissolve.


Okay, that makes a lot of sense. I must admit that I like the analogy at the end. :tiphat:



Charles L. Cotton wrote:For reasons I will not discuss publicly (or privately for that matter), I do not seek tax exempt status for any Second Amendment advocacy organization. I will say the decision was based upon recommendations by a CPA/Attorney who specializes in getting tax exempt status for organizations and in filing their specialized tax returns.


Having followed you for a while now, I can only imagine that there is a great deal of thought that has been put into this decision. I can only speculate to myself, but thank you for sharing that with me.



Charles L. Cotton wrote:It's serious on my part, but how serious it will be in terms of its impact on the Texas Legislature will be determined by the number of people who join the movement AND respond to calls-to-action.


Being that you have dawned this all upon yourself, it is extremely self evident that you take this seriously. I also appreciate the way you have been able to separate yourself with the movement in all of your messages. I have seen too many politicians as of late, use the terms such as, "My movement." I just thought I would share that with you, for whatever it's worth.



Charles L. Cotton wrote:Yes, I will be the only decision-maker in terms of CHL's United activities and expenditures. I will seek advice from people in various industries when it comes to making purchases in areas that are unfamiliar to me, and I will seek advice about certain areas of the State in terms of operations, legislative potential, etc. CHLs United will not use a legislative committee approach. I have worked with TSRA since 1987 and the NRA since 2001 as part of a legislative team. This approach is absolutely necessary for an organization that must evaluate numerous issues and potential bills, then pick some to promote and others to leave "on the table" until a future session. CHLs United does not have to make those decisions. We have one goal. Plus, I must admit that I've wanted repeal of off-limits areas to be a flagship bill for ten years now, but it hasn't happened.


So you want to approach it more as a single shot movement? Focus everything on one place, for one reason? I can understand avoiding a Legislative Committee type approach, as TSRA seems do with supporting and opposing different bills. I take it, that if we get one good bill on the table that appeases or satisfies the movement, I find it reasonable to believe that all this movements weight will be moved towards getting that one bill passed? Please correct me if I have misunderstood or misconceived something there.



Charles L. Cotton wrote:I think I know what you mean, but I may be wrong. Traveling around a state as large as Texas is not a wise use of money. TV and radio ads are seen by far more people than I could ever address if I was to attend an event five days a week. If funding permits, I plan to use TexasShooting.TV to promote several things, including CHLs United. While I will travel some, it will be only when it makes sense in the overall campaign. Hopefully, we'll have people with public speaking experience to serve as spokesmen/spokeswomen in various areas around the State.


You seem to have me figured out Mr. Cotton. I really hope to see spokesmen/spokeswomen being a strong forefront in this movement at key places. A person can convince me of something in person, as an add merely sparks interest IMO. I'm certain you will have motivated 2A supporters interested enough to be ambassadors for this movement, and spread the word to others.

Speaking of this, I will send you a PM with a personal idea.



Charles L. Cotton wrote:I don't mind the questions at all. I'll reiterate, unless the response to this effort is massive, then we will not have an impact on the 2017 Texas Legislative Session. Removal of off-limits areas is warranted and it is safe, but it is still considered radical by many in Austin, including House and Senate leadership. Only the pressure of hundreds of thousands of CHLs will get past that resistance.


Then we shall bombard the Austinites with our radical ideals! :lol:: I agree, the more the merrier, as they won't listen to a small group of whom they consider radicals. I want this movement to been seen as a smart sensible collective of good common citizens, unlike the more extremist groups that have plagued our efforts last session.


Again Chas, thank you very much for you time and thoughtfulness.
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.


rjnsr45
Junior Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:28 pm

Re: What is CHLs United?

Postby rjnsr45 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:31 pm

Had not heard of CHL United; just joined. Paypal worked perfect!


OlBill
Senior Member
Posts: 399
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:36 am

Re: What is CHLs United?

Postby OlBill » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:13 pm

Done.


mr1337
Senior Member
Posts: 1199
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: Austin

Re: What is CHLs United?

Postby mr1337 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:06 am

Joined :txflag:
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.


Return to “Good Guys United”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest