And they stand adjourned again...

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

talltex
Posts in topic: 1

Re: And they stand adjourned again...

Post by talltex »

RogueUSMC wrote:They DID pass legislation the other day creating 'Oyster Day' in Texas...who says they don't get anything done?
Based on my "education" from family members who were legislators in years past, you can rest assured that there were donations to campaign funds made by an "oyster lobbyist" to get an actual bill to the floor so they could now have an "Oyster Day" to promote their businesses. Everything is for sale in the legislature :roll:
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

Odiferous
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Odiferous »

Odiferous wrote:I've often said I wish they'd just vote for any bills that remove more text from statute than they add. You want your new law passed? Fine, but you have to go find something else that needs cleaning up.

Oversimplification, I know, but still...
Okay, I never actually expected to see it from a state legislator, much less the President...

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-of ... ontrolling

mojo84
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mojo84 »

This may shed some light. https://empowertexans.com/under-the-dom ... -slowdown/
In the Texas House as with other legislative bodies, lawmakers are assigned to committees where the majority of work on legislation actually gets done. Until that happens, the wheels grind to a halt with lawmakers being able to do little more than come up with ideas and wait.
So why hasn’t House Speaker Joe Straus (R–San Antonio) released his committee assignments?
Well, as State Rep. Celia Israel (D–Austin) said in November, they’re in “Operation Slowdown.”
Ever since conservatives took over the Texas Senate in 2014, the Texas House has deliberately and strategically dragged their feet in order to prevent conservative reforms from passing. While the Senate fast-tracks conservative legislation, the House stalls them in order to dilute or kill the bills.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”