2017 Special Session called

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: Keith B, Charles L. Cotton, carlson1


srothstein
Senior Member
Posts: 3804
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Luling, TX

Re: 2017 Special Session called

Postby srothstein » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:13 am

SewTexas wrote:Also there's a rumor that Abbott is considering just stringing special Sessions together until the next election to keep them from raising money for their elections.


I doubt this is more than some enemy spreading rumors. Abbott already announced that this would be the only special session when he called it. He said if they could not get his agenda done during that time, they weren't "trying" (I read that as they would not ever agree).
Steve Rothstein

User avatar

Topic author
Flightmare
Senior Member
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: 2017 Special Session called

Postby Flightmare » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:36 am

srothstein wrote:
SewTexas wrote:Also there's a rumor that Abbott is considering just stringing special Sessions together until the next election to keep them from raising money for their elections.


I doubt this is more than some enemy spreading rumors. Abbott already announced that this would be the only special session when he called it. He said if they could not get his agenda done during that time, they weren't "trying" (I read that as they would not ever agree).


One of the items on his agenda was the sunset legislation reauthorizing the Texas Medical Board. This is a MUST pass item, and will result in another session if it does not pass.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016


SewTexas
Senior Member
Posts: 2763
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:52 pm
Location: San Antonio area

Re: 2017 Special Session called

Postby SewTexas » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:38 am

srothstein wrote:
SewTexas wrote:Also there's a rumor that Abbott is considering just stringing special Sessions together until the next election to keep them from raising money for their elections.


I doubt this is more than some enemy spreading rumors. Abbott already announced that this would be the only special session when he called it. He said if they could not get his agenda done during that time, they weren't "trying" (I read that as they would not ever agree).


I think it was someone on the Ethics and Investigations Committee? I can't remember, I'd been listening to some Land Use type of Committee on the Annexation Bill and when they were done I popped over to see what the other one was talking about. It was boring so I went to Doctor Who. Gotta have something on while I work on jewelry. Everyone seemed to agree that he had said it. I guess we'll find out in a few weeks.
This week is going to be interesting, we'll finally see if people are going to show up and work. I can understand the Senate not being there for the first part of the week, but by the end of the week the House had sent over quite a few bills, they could have been working, and why were there NO committees meeting? NONE!
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir


srothstein
Senior Member
Posts: 3804
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Luling, TX

Re: 2017 Special Session called

Postby srothstein » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:39 am

All the sunset legislation has passed already.
Steve Rothstein


srothstein
Senior Member
Posts: 3804
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Luling, TX

Re: 2017 Special Session called

Postby srothstein » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:48 am

SewTexas wrote:
srothstein wrote:
SewTexas wrote:Also there's a rumor that Abbott is considering just stringing special Sessions together until the next election to keep them from raising money for their elections.


I doubt this is more than some enemy spreading rumors. Abbott already announced that this would be the only special session when he called it. He said if they could not get his agenda done during that time, they weren't "trying" (I read that as they would not ever agree).


I think it was someone on the Ethics and Investigations Committee? I can't remember, I'd been listening to some Land Use type of Committee on the Annexation Bill and when they were done I popped over to see what the other one was talking about. It was boring so I went to Doctor Who. Gotta have something on while I work on jewelry. Everyone seemed to agree that he had said it. I guess we'll find out in a few weeks.
This week is going to be interesting, we'll finally see if people are going to show up and work. I can understand the Senate not being there for the first part of the week, but by the end of the week the House had sent over quite a few bills, they could have been working, and why were there NO committees meeting? NONE!


I agree that it will be interesting. I have been following the one group of bills that seem likely to get some version passed, the property tax reform. I have not followed anything else quite as closely since those are part of my job to watch.

It is not unusual during a special session to have periods like this with no committee meetings for a while. The Senate passed something on almost all of these bills and sent them to the House. The House has passed a few different versions of some bills and sent them to the Senate. What happens next in cases like this (two houses which disagree on how to handle certain issues) is that the two opposing houses will not refer the bill they receive to a committee until they see what the other house does with their bill. If the difference is minor enough (like property tax is reform is getting to be right now), the informal and unofficial conference will sort out which bill goes forward. This is when Strauss and Patrick meet and see what they can agree to push through their house.

I think some property tax reform of some type will get pushed through. I think some form of school finance help (not true reform) will also pass this time. I doubt much else will get through and I doubt there will be any more special sessions. I have noticed that the House has not yet referred the bathroom bill to any committee and it looks to me like they intend to kill any discussion of that issue. I don't even know what other issues they have left to discuss besides these three areas that are dominating the news and talk around Austin.
Steve Rothstein


SewTexas
Senior Member
Posts: 2763
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:52 pm
Location: San Antonio area

Re: 2017 Special Session called

Postby SewTexas » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:59 pm

the forced annexation has a possibility, not sure
vouchers of some sort for special needs
I think both of these also have a possibility, as long as they don't try to add any weird amendments.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

User avatar

Ameer
Senior Member
Posts: 1330
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:01 pm

Re: 2017 Special Session called

Postby Ameer » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:38 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:Of course, but I think you've missed my point. I was drawing attention to Ameer's comment that we should be allowed to use TAXPAYER money to send our kids to private school.

I think you missed my point. Some people want to use tax dollars to pay for private school because they don't like public schools. If they get that, I think it's only fair for me to get tax dollars for my private vehicle because I don't like public transportation.

Of course, I think the country would be better off with fewer people getting handouts from the taxpayers, and letting taxpayers keep more of our own money to spend as we like. However, the Strausians will never allow that sort of economic freedom because the Strausians would then lose some of their power to tax and destroy.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts: 22562
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: Grapevine, Texas
Contact:

Re: 2017 Special Session called

Postby The Annoyed Man » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:57 pm

Ameer wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:Of course, but I think you've missed my point. I was drawing attention to Ameer's comment that we should be allowed to use TAXPAYER money to send our kids to private school.

I think you missed my point. Some people want to use tax dollars to pay for private school because they don't like public schools. If they get that, I think it's only fair for me to get tax dollars for my private vehicle because I don't like public transportation.

Of course, I think the country would be better off with fewer people getting handouts from the taxpayers, and letting taxpayers keep more of our own money to spend as we like. However, the Strausians will never allow that sort of economic freedom because the Strausians would then lose some of their power to tax and destroy.

Evidently, I missed your irony. In that light, it makes sense. Please forgive my sclerotic brain. :mrgreen:
"Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself."—Hookalakah Meshobbab
"I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes."—The Annoyed Boy
"Id aegre et in omnibus semper."—Quod Homo Aegre


flechero
Senior Member
Posts: 1009
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: 2017 Special Session called

Postby flechero » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:49 pm

Ameer wrote: Some people want to use tax dollars to pay for private school because they don't like public schools. If they get that, I think it's only fair for me to get tax dollars for my private vehicle because I don't like public transportation.


You have a simple view of an issue that's not so simple.

My kid is districted for the same school my wife was districted for as a child- it was so bad then, that her parents had her adopted by her grandparents to get into a decent school. In 30+ years they have not fixed the schools... still under performing and downright scary. Why should we be forced to send our kid to a crappy school? Out of district transfers can choose school- in district we can not.

Those against allowing some conversion of tax to school choice are typically in good districts. I'd love to have a public school choice I was comfortable with... but I don't. We pay over a grand a month, plus uniforms, and all the other private school stuff on top of all the same taxes you pay, for and education that may actually be a little behind the good public schools.

The better question might be why do I have to pay 3-5 times what you pay for the same basic education your kid gets, on tax dollars alone?

I don't claim to have all the answers but I do know when a school sucks for over 30 years, it's time to start over or give the people in that district a choice of some kind.

And public transportation doesn't run out here either! :lol:

User avatar

RPBrown
Senior Member
Posts: 3889
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:56 am
Location: Irving, Texas

Re: 2017 Special Session called

Postby RPBrown » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:50 pm

Well, Straus strikes again. Seems the governors property tax bill was one that got left hanging in the special session and Straus closed it out early. When are they going to get rid of him?
NRA-Life member
TSRA-Life member
Image

User avatar

Topic author
Flightmare
Senior Member
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: 2017 Special Session called

Postby Flightmare » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:54 pm

RPBrown wrote:Well, Straus strikes again. Seems the governors property tax bill was one that got left hanging in the special session and Straus closed it out early. When are they going to get rid of him?


I believe there is a republican caucus meeting this morning to discuss that. Unfortunately, I believe Straus has JUST enough republicans in his pocket to side with the democrats and retain his position. I hope I am wrong.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

User avatar

bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts: 2386
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: DFW, TX

Re: 2017 Special Session called

Postby bblhd672 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:03 pm

flechero wrote:You have a simple view of an issue that's not so simple.

My kid is districted for the same school my wife was districted for as a child- it was so bad then, that her parents had her adopted by her grandparents to get into a decent school. In 30+ years they have not fixed the schools... still under performing and downright scary. Why should we be forced to send our kid to a crappy school? Out of district transfers can choose school- in district we can not.

Those against allowing some conversion of tax to school choice are typically in good districts. I'd love to have a public school choice I was comfortable with... but I don't. We pay over a grand a month, plus uniforms, and all the other private school stuff on top of all the same taxes you pay, for and education that may actually be a little behind the good public schools.

The better question might be why do I have to pay 3-5 times what you pay for the same basic education your kid gets, on tax dollars alone?

I don't claim to have all the answers but I do know when a school sucks for over 30 years, it's time to start over or give the people in that district a choice of some kind.

And public transportation doesn't run out here either! :lol:


Can you identify the political party of the majority ruling the school system for the last 30 years? Probably full of the same people who are against school choice, vouchers and any other idea that actually improves the children's' education.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Member
“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee


SewTexas
Senior Member
Posts: 2763
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:52 pm
Location: San Antonio area

Re: 2017 Special Session called

Postby SewTexas » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:44 pm

Flightmare wrote:
RPBrown wrote:Well, Straus strikes again. Seems the governors property tax bill was one that got left hanging in the special session and Straus closed it out early. When are they going to get rid of him?


I believe there is a republican caucus meeting this morning to discuss that. Unfortunately, I believe Straus has JUST enough republicans in his pocket to side with the democrats and retain his position. I hope I am wrong.



I saw some discussions about a "rule change" that would mean that just the majority party would vote for the speaker. That could actually mean that Strauss could be replaced. Not sure a rule change could happen though...
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir


1911 10MM
Member
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:59 am

Re: 2017 Special Session called

Postby 1911 10MM » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:35 am

One can only hope!!!!!!

User avatar

TexasJohnBoy
Senior Member
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:21 pm
Location: North Texas

Re: 2017 Special Session called

Postby TexasJohnBoy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:16 pm

SewTexas wrote:
Flightmare wrote:
RPBrown wrote:Well, Straus strikes again. Seems the governors property tax bill was one that got left hanging in the special session and Straus closed it out early. When are they going to get rid of him?


I believe there is a republican caucus meeting this morning to discuss that. Unfortunately, I believe Straus has JUST enough republicans in his pocket to side with the democrats and retain his position. I hope I am wrong.



I saw some discussions about a "rule change" that would mean that just the majority party would vote for the speaker. That could actually mean that Strauss could be replaced. Not sure a rule change could happen though...

Careful what you wish for. We may not always be in the majority. I fear this with the simple majority vote for Supreme Court Justices now.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14


Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests