SB 16 - priority bill, reduction of LTC fees

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Post Reply

Topic author
RHenriksen
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 2000
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:59 pm
Location: Houston

SB 16 - priority bill, reduction of LTC fees

#1

Post by RHenriksen » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:29 pm

Nice to see a 2A bill make it onto the Lt. Gov's priority list. Shame it's not about elimination of gun free zones, though.

https://www.ltgov.state.tx.us/2016/11/2 ... riorities/
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs


TreyHouston
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1266
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:00 pm
Location: Tomball

Re: SB 16 - priority bill, reduction of LTC fees

#2

Post by TreyHouston » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:41 pm

I don't have much opinion on bills because they are very long and complicated! but here are some thoughts:

"HB111 (Moody) Relating to an educational program and fee reductions to improve firearm safety.
Impact: This Bill would reduce the fee for a LTC for an applicant that bought a “secure storage device” by an amount equal to the cost of the device, or $40, whichever is lesser. The Bill would also require DPS to create a gun safety program, including a pamphlet promoting the program
Position on Bill: Oppose.
Status: Filed 11/14/16.
Comments: While this is a “feel good bill,” it accomplishes nothing. There is a stand along bill to repeal all LTC fees, so this bill would be in conflict. The best gun safety courses in existence are those created by the NRA, including but not limited to the NRA Eddie Eagle Program and Home Firearm Safety Program. A better way to promote gun safety is to require all public school students be provided both of these programs in school at no cost to the school."

as read on:
https://www.texasfirearmscoalition.com/ ... ve-session
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:


TreyHouston
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1266
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:00 pm
Location: Tomball

Re: SB 16 - priority bill, reduction of LTC fees

#3

Post by TreyHouston » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:47 pm

:thumbs2:

HB339 (Burrows) Relating to the removal of a fee for the issuance of an original, duplicate, modified, or renewed license to carry a handgun.
Impact: Removes all fees for obtaining, replacing, updating or renewing a License to Carry a Handgun.
Position on Bill: Support
Status: Filed 11/15/16.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

User avatar

Jusme
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 3958
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Johnson County, Texas

Re: SB 16 - priority bill, reduction of LTC fees

#4

Post by Jusme » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:49 pm

TreyHouston wrote:I don't have much opinion on bills because they are very long and complicated! but here are some thoughts:

"HB111 (Moody) Relating to an educational program and fee reductions to improve firearm safety.
Impact: This Bill would reduce the fee for a LTC for an applicant that bought a “secure storage device” by an amount equal to the cost of the device, or $40, whichever is lesser. The Bill would also require DPS to create a gun safety program, including a pamphlet promoting the program
Position on Bill: Oppose.
Status: Filed 11/14/16.
Comments: While this is a “feel good bill,” it accomplishes nothing. There is a stand along bill to repeal all LTC fees, so this bill would be in conflict. The best gun safety courses in existence are those created by the NRA, including but not limited to the NRA Eddie Eagle Program and Home Firearm Safety Program. A better way to promote gun safety is to require all public school students be provided both of these programs in school at no cost to the school."

as read on:
https://www.texasfirearmscoalition.com/ ... ve-session

This is not a bill I can get behind. I think it is to trying appease MDA and does nothing to actually promote more people to obtain their LTC. If they have to spend any savings on a storage device, why not just spend the original fee, and not have something that seems State mandated. This bill assumes that the opposition will require this codicil before introduction. Why not an across the board reduction that actually saves people money?
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 16
Posts: 16937
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: SB 16 - priority bill, reduction of LTC fees

#5

Post by Charles L. Cotton » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:35 pm

SB16 isn't in the system yet, but it is the Bill I alluded to when noting the TFC opposition to HB111. I have no doubt that anti-gun Texas Gun Sense is behind HB111.

Chas.
Image


BeanCounter
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:29 pm

Re: SB 16 - priority bill, reduction of LTC fees

#6

Post by BeanCounter » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:31 pm

Jusme wrote: Why not an across the board reduction that actually saves people money?
I agree. why not reduce LTC fees 50% across the board for the various classes of license applicants.

If THEY want to promote “secure storage devices" why not allow a sales tax exemption for gun safes, etc?
TSRA Life Member

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 16
Posts: 16937
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: SB 16 - priority bill, reduction of LTC fees

#7

Post by Charles L. Cotton » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:48 pm

BeanCounter wrote:
Jusme wrote: Why not an across the board reduction that actually saves people money?
I agree. why not reduce LTC fees 50% across the board for the various classes of license applicants.

If THEY want to promote “secure storage devices" why not allow a sales tax exemption for gun safes, etc?
SB16 will do away with the fee entirely, unless the bill has been amended prior to filing. The Lt. Gov. really wants this done!

Chas.
Image


rotor
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 2733
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: SB 16 - priority bill, reduction of LTC fees

#8

Post by rotor » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:54 pm

If you eliminate the fee then tax dollars from other programs have to pay for the processing of the LTC. I am not going to argue whether LTC should be eliminated but the person applying for one should be at a minimum paying for it.

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 16
Posts: 16937
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: SB 16 - priority bill, reduction of LTC fees

#9

Post by Charles L. Cotton » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:59 pm

rotor wrote:If you eliminate the fee then tax dollars from other programs have to pay for the processing of the LTC. I am not going to argue whether LTC should be eliminated but the person applying for one should be at a minimum paying for it.
I understand your point, but we are dealing with a constitutional right. If the Legislature feels that the licensing law should exist for public safety reasons, then the cost should be born by the general public. The cost of voter registration is born by the public and voting is also a constitutional right.

Chas.
Image

User avatar

Jusme
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 3958
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Johnson County, Texas

Re: SB 16 - priority bill, reduction of LTC fees

#10

Post by Jusme » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:07 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
BeanCounter wrote:
Jusme wrote: Why not an across the board reduction that actually saves people money?
I agree. why not reduce LTC fees 50% across the board for the various classes of license applicants.

If THEY want to promote “secure storage devices" why not allow a sales tax exemption for gun safes, etc?
SB16 will do away with the fee entirely, unless the bill has been amended prior to filing. The Lt. Gov. really wants this done!

Chas.

Sorry I only read part of the,way through it.
I understood the reduction to be continent upon purchasing a storage unit for the gun. I need to slow down a little bit. :oops:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 16
Posts: 16937
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: SB 16 - priority bill, reduction of LTC fees

#11

Post by Charles L. Cotton » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:44 pm

Jusme wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
BeanCounter wrote:
Jusme wrote: Why not an across the board reduction that actually saves people money?
I agree. why not reduce LTC fees 50% across the board for the various classes of license applicants.

If THEY want to promote “secure storage devices" why not allow a sales tax exemption for gun safes, etc?
SB16 will do away with the fee entirely, unless the bill has been amended prior to filing. The Lt. Gov. really wants this done!

Chas.

Sorry I only read part of the,way through it.
I understood the reduction to be continent upon purchasing a storage unit for the gun. I need to slow down a little bit. :oops:
HB111 will be a discount only if you buy a storage device. SB16 repeals the fee, but the bill is not yet available on the Leg. website.

Chas.
Image

User avatar

SewTexas
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 3028
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:52 pm
Location: San Antonio area

Re: SB 16 - priority bill, reduction of LTC fees

#12

Post by SewTexas » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:20 pm

I thought that something said that the ltc's had to support the department? if that's the case then it can't be fee free? this doesn't make sense...understand, I'll go for anything that means I'm not giving the govn't more of my $. I'm just not understanding how this can't work withing what I understand the law to be.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

User avatar

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 16
Posts: 16937
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX
Contact:

Re: SB 16 - priority bill, reduction of LTC fees

#13

Post by Charles L. Cotton » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:01 pm

SewTexas wrote:I thought that something said that the ltc's had to support the department? if that's the case then it can't be fee free? this doesn't make sense...understand, I'll go for anything that means I'm not giving the govn't more of my $. I'm just not understanding how this can't work withing what I understand the law to be.
There's no legal or constitutional requirement that the LTC program be self-supporting. That has been the Legislature's requirement since 1993 (HB1776). It's still going to be a hard sell since the fiscal note on the Bill is going to be a shocker. Nevertheless, it's the right thing to do.

Chas.
Image

User avatar

superchief
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:16 pm
Location: Greater Fort Worth Megaplex

Re: SB 16 - priority bill, reduction of LTC fees

#14

Post by superchief » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:29 pm

I wouldn't mind doing the LTC department like we do for hunting licenses. I've always wondered why the CHL-16 isn't like the TPWC hunting/fishing regulations. Could be published slick and fancy with a lot of truck and gun ads.

User avatar

SewTexas
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 3028
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:52 pm
Location: San Antonio area

Re: SB 16 - priority bill, reduction of LTC fees

#15

Post by SewTexas » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:26 am

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
SewTexas wrote:I thought that something said that the ltc's had to support the department? if that's the case then it can't be fee free? this doesn't make sense...understand, I'll go for anything that means I'm not giving the govn't more of my $. I'm just not understanding how this can't work withing what I understand the law to be.
There's no legal or constitutional requirement that the LTC program be self-supporting. That has been the Legislature's requirement since 1993 (HB1776). It's still going to be a hard sell since the fiscal note on the Bill is going to be a shocker. Nevertheless, it's the right thing to do.

Chas.
ah, got it. thanks for the clarification.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Post Reply

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”