SB 16 - priority bill, reduction of LTC fees

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

mojo84
Posts in topic: 5

Re: SB 16 - priority bill, reduction of LTC fees

Post by mojo84 »

Papa_Tiger wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
AF-Odin wrote:Newspaper article this morning about SB-16 stating that this bill will "strip" millions of dollars from state education funding because of reducing LTC fees. Hmmmm, thought I paid a substantial amount in taxes that fund education/ Why should a DPS licensing program fund other state agencies? LTC fee should pay for DPS to conduct a background check and process the plastic, nothing more. The antis will grasp at any straw.
Can you provide a link to the article? That sounds like a bunch of bull. More fake news.
http://www.mystatesman.com/news/state-- ... 1nyIk3SzJ/
From the ever unbiased Austin American Statesman -
The bill would cost the state $22 million in lost revenue over the next two years, according to the Legislative Budget Board.

State Rep. Nicole Collier, D-Fort Worth who voted against the bill, said that the money should be spent on more pressing matters like schools or child welfare. She also said that guns are being given special treatment.
Thanks. Once they get their greedy claws on our money they never want to let it go. They always have some way to repurpose our money.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jusme »

The LTC licensing fees were never supposed to be a profiteering system. But that doesn't keep the tax and spend Liberals from trying to get their hands on it.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Papa_Tiger »

Passed the House today 129-17! Now back to the Senate for concurrence and on to the Governor's desk!

Jusme
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jusme »

Papa_Tiger wrote:Passed the House today 129-17! Now back to the Senate for concurrence and on to the Governor's desk!

:anamatedbanana :cheers2:

That means that there were several Democrats who voted for it. I will be interested to see who they were.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 3

Post by powerboatr »

FROM TLO

SB 16
, as amended, was passed to third reading by (Record 607): 111 Yeas,
30 Nays, 2 Present, not voting.
Yeas — Allen; Alvarado; Anderson, R.; Ashby; Bailes; Biedermann; Bohac;
Bonnen, D.; Bonnen, G.; Burkett; Burns; Burrows; Button; Cain; Canales;
Capriglione; Clardy; Cook; Cortez; Cosper; Craddick; Cyrier; Dale; Darby;
Davis, S.; Dean; Elkins; Faircloth; Fallon; Farrar; Flynn; Frank; Frullo; Geren;
Goldman; Gooden; Guerra; Guillen; Gutierrez; Hefner; Herrero; Holland;
Huberty; Hunter; Isaac; Johnson, J.; Keough; King, K.; King, P.; King, T.; Klick;
Koop; Krause; Kuempel; Lambert; Landgraf; Lang; Larson; Laubenberg; Leach;
Lozano; Lucio; Martinez; Metcalf; Meyer; Morrison; Mun ̃oz; Murphy; Murr;
Nevarez; Oliveira; Oliverson; Paddie; Parker; Paul; Perez; Phelan; Phillips;
Pickett; Price; Raney; Raymond; Rinaldi; Roberts; Rodriguez, E.; Sanford;
Schaefer; Schofield; Schubert; Shaheen; Sheffield; Shine; Simmons; Smithee;
85th LEGISLATURE — REGULAR SESSION
Springer; Stephenson; Stickland; Stucky; Swanson; Thierry; Thompson, E.;
Thompson, S.; Tinderholt; VanDeaver; Villalba; White; Wilson; Workman; Wray;
Zedler; Zerwas.

Nays — Alonzo; Anchia; Are ́valo; Bernal; Blanco; Coleman; Collier; Davis,
Y.; Deshotel; Dutton; Gervin-Hawkins; Giddings; Hernandez; Hinojosa; Howard;
Israel; Johnson, E.; Minjarez; Moody; Neave; Ortega; Reynolds; Rodriguez, J.;
Romero; Rose; Turner; Uresti; Vo; Walle; Wu.
Present, not voting — Mr. Speaker; Kacal(C).
Absent, Excused — Anderson, C.; Bell; Miller.
Absent, Excused, Committee Meeting — Gonzales; Longoria.
Absent — Dukes; Gonza ́lez.

from TLO
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

TresHuevos
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TresHuevos »

powerboatr wrote:FROM TLO

SB 16
, as amended, was passed to third reading by (Record 607): 111 Yeas,
30 Nays, 2 Present, not voting.
Yeas — Allen; Alvarado; Anderson, R.; Ashby; Bailes; Biedermann; Bohac;
Bonnen, D.; Bonnen, G.; Burkett; Burns; Burrows; Button; Cain; Canales;
Capriglione; Clardy; Cook; Cortez; Cosper; Craddick; Cyrier; Dale; Darby;
Davis, S.; Dean; Elkins; Faircloth; Fallon; Farrar; Flynn; Frank; Frullo; Geren;
Goldman; Gooden; Guerra; Guillen; Gutierrez; Hefner; Herrero; Holland;
Huberty; Hunter; Isaac; Johnson, J.; Keough; King, K.; King, P.; King, T.; Klick;
Koop; Krause; Kuempel; Lambert; Landgraf; Lang; Larson; Laubenberg; Leach;
Lozano; Lucio; Martinez; Metcalf; Meyer; Morrison; Mun ̃oz; Murphy; Murr;
Nevarez; Oliveira; Oliverson; Paddie; Parker; Paul; Perez; Phelan; Phillips;
Pickett; Price; Raney; Raymond; Rinaldi; Roberts; Rodriguez, E.; Sanford;
Schaefer; Schofield; Schubert; Shaheen; Sheffield; Shine; Simmons; Smithee;
85th LEGISLATURE — REGULAR SESSION
Springer; Stephenson; Stickland; Stucky; Swanson; Thierry; Thompson, E.;
Thompson, S.; Tinderholt; VanDeaver; Villalba; White; Wilson; Workman; Wray;
Zedler; Zerwas.

Nays — Alonzo; Anchia; Are ́valo; Bernal; Blanco; Coleman; Collier; Davis,
Y.; Deshotel; Dutton; Gervin-Hawkins; Giddings; Hernandez; Hinojosa; Howard;
Israel; Johnson, E.; Minjarez; Moody; Neave; Ortega; Reynolds; Rodriguez, J.;
Romero; Rose; Turner; Uresti; Vo; Walle; Wu.
Present, not voting — Mr. Speaker; Kacal(C).
Absent, Excused — Anderson, C.; Bell; Miller.
Absent, Excused, Committee Meeting — Gonzales; Longoria.
Absent — Dukes; Gonza ́lez.

from TLO
Dog gone if my "rep" (even though he doesn't represent me on matters I care about) Joe Moody isn't on there as a Nay. Just can't seem to get anyone in El Paso to get motivated to get him replaced.
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic deeds." - C.S. Lewis
My State Rep Joe Moody is a liberal puke who won't even acknowledge my communications with him. How about yours?

tx85
Posts in topic: 5

Post by tx85 »

TresHuevos wrote:Dog gone if my "rep" (even though he doesn't represent me on matters I care about) Joe Moody isn't on there as a Nay. Just can't seem to get anyone in El Paso to get motivated to get him replaced.
Moody had two (failed) amendments to SB16 yesterday. The first one would have made it a requirement to have a gun safe in order to get a carry permit. The second one would have eliminated the $40 fee for people who provide proof they have a gun safe. Both amendments were torpedoed by POO.

poppo
Posts in topic: 7

Post by poppo »

After reading the latest text, what is the status of the honorably discharged veteran fee? I did not see it mentioned.
USMC Retired - DAV Life Member - VFW Life Member - NRA Life Member

Scott B.
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Scott B. »

poppo wrote:After reading the latest text, what is the status of the honorably discharged veteran fee? I did not see it mentioned.
Wondered about that myself, but I think since it's not addressed in the SB16 text I read that it stands as is.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

Papa_Tiger wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
AF-Odin wrote:Newspaper article this morning about SB-16 stating that this bill will "strip" millions of dollars from state education funding because of reducing LTC fees. Hmmmm, thought I paid a substantial amount in taxes that fund education/ Why should a DPS licensing program fund other state agencies? LTC fee should pay for DPS to conduct a background check and process the plastic, nothing more. The antis will grasp at any straw.
Can you provide a link to the article? That sounds like a bunch of bull. More fake news.
http://www.mystatesman.com/news/state-- ... 1nyIk3SzJ/
From the ever unbiased Austin American Statesman -
The bill would cost the state $22 million in lost revenue over the next two years, according to the Legislative Budget Board.

State Rep. Nicole Collier, D-Fort Worth who voted against the bill, said that the money should be spent on more pressing matters like schools or child welfare. She also said that guns are being given special treatment.
Does this mean the Rep Collier would oppose a bill outlawing carrying of firearms in Texas and eliminating the LTC all together since it would cost the state revenue?
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Interesting that Nevarez was an aye....
-Ruark

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 9

Post by bblhd672 »

Since this is my first Texas legislative session experience I keep wondering when they are going to stop talking and actually vote in both chambers about all of these proposed bills? Do they waste vast amounts of time and then vote on everything in the last few days?
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

bblhd672 wrote:Since this is my first Texas legislative session experience I keep wondering when they are going to stop talking and actually vote in both chambers about all of these proposed bills? Do they waste vast amounts of time and then vote on everything in the last few days?
Yeah... Kinda - least it always seems that way to me. From what I remember in Texas Government class back in the day, the last week or 2 is a flurry of yays and nays on the floor as they speed vote things into law. Granted in most cases I believe they have spent the time in session debating, wheeling-n-dealing, etc on the bill so they already have an idea of how to vote when it comes up.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

yeah, here over the next month it's going to get crazy in there...
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

ELB
Posts in topic: 8

Post by ELB »

Pariah3j wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:Since this is my first Texas legislative session experience I keep wondering when they are going to stop talking and actually vote in both chambers about all of these proposed bills? Do they waste vast amounts of time and then vote on everything in the last few days?
Yeah... Kinda - least it always seems that way to me. From what I remember in Texas Government class back in the day, the last week or 2 is a flurry of yays and nays on the floor as they speed vote things into law. Granted in most cases I believe they have spent the time in session debating, wheeling-n-dealing, etc on the bill so they already have an idea of how to vote when it comes up.
The talking is the real work. The voting is the result of the talking.

Most of the talking happens off the floor between legislators and groups of legislators in formal and informal non-public meetings, on the phone, whatever. Also committee meetings. On the last few days you will see whoever is holding the chair position sounding like an auctioneer as he announces bills for their third reading and has a quick vote on them -- these are bills that everyone knows they are not going to argue about (from all the previous talking), they're just going to get passed, so they put them on a special calendar and run through them all at once.

The ones like you see in the movies, where long debates over various amendments happen, are very few because there is simply not enough time in the whole legislative season to do that for each bill. These are bills with lots of support on both sides, for and agin, to the level that the Speaker of the House or the President of the Senate doesn't think he can get away with killing them in a committee (if he opposes) or run them through the consent calendar (if he likes them). The budget is always in this category, and last time Campus Carry and Open Carry were too.

Going from memory, there are something like 10,000 bills filed each session, of which maybe a few hundred advance beyond that point. Only a relative handful get full-fledged debate on the floor of the Senate and/or House.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”