HB 560 - Holy Grail?

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 6

Re: HB 560 - Holy Grail?

Post by TexasCajun »

mojo84 wrote:
TexasCajun wrote:Well so far, nothing is happening with this great bill. No one has signed on as a co-author or as a sponsor and it hasn't even been assigned to committee yet. I'm guessing that the legislature is taking a break from gun bills this session.
Have the committee's chairs been assigned in the house? Saw the other day Straus and his dem buddies are slow rolling things this session. I also had heard prior to the session there wasn't much interest in significant gun friendly legislation this session.

I'm not real optimistic much is going to be done to restore and advance gun rights this session. I also see the senate, governor and It. Governor primarily pushing other issues.
It looks like no committee assignments have been made. Specifically no one has been assigned to the public safety committee (through which all gun bills must pass).
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

apostate
Posts in topic: 2

Post by apostate »

mojo84 wrote:
Lambda Force wrote:Don't let any of them get away with lying about running out of time. Especially the ones who voted for Straus to be Speaker.

Whatever happens this session, Remember in November.
They all voted for Straus to be speaker. I agree with your comment about running out of time. The problem is, it's Straus and the dems that are delaying things.

They'll get done what they want.
No more and no less :iagree: but to paraphrase OG, Straus didn't elect himself SoH. He had the full support of the Republican majority who know his history.

Ruark
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Ruark »

TexasCajun wrote: It looks like no committee assignments have been made. Specifically no one has been assigned to the public safety committee (through which all gun bills must pass).
You mean the committee ITSELF doesn't have any members yet? How serious is that at this point?

Who is the key backer of this bill in the lege?
-Ruark

stars200

Post by stars200 »

I got an email back from my rep's office. Pretty neutral in tone.

Dear Mr. xxxxx:

Thank you for taking the time to contact our office regarding your support for House Bill 560. As we begin the 85th Legislative Session, input like yours helps us to understand what the District 70 community is researching, and we take all of these positions under advisement.

I will closely follow this issue and carefully weigh any legislation presented that would affect it. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts on this issue. If you ever have any additional concerns or questions, please feel free to contact our office at 512-463-0356.

Sincerely,

Grace Bartels
Legislative Intern
Office of Representative Scott Sanford
512-463-0356

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Ruark wrote:
TexasCajun wrote: It looks like no committee assignments have been made. Specifically no one has been assigned to the public safety committee (through which all gun bills must pass).
You mean the committee ITSELF doesn't have any members yet? How serious is that at this point?

Who is the key backer of this bill in the lege?
Yep. The public safety committee does not have any assigned members yet. Nor have any bills been assigned to the committee. All as of this morning.

Rep Springer is the only rep listed as author & there are no sponsors listed.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 11

Post by mojo84 »

stars200 wrote:I got an email back from my rep's office. Pretty neutral in tone.

Dear Mr. xxxxx:

Thank you for taking the time to contact our office regarding your support for House Bill 560. As we begin the 85th Legislative Session, input like yours helps us to understand what the District 70 community is researching, and we take all of these positions under advisement.

I will closely follow this issue and carefully weigh any legislation presented that would affect it. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts on this issue. If you ever have any additional concerns or questions, please feel free to contact our office at 512-463-0356.

Sincerely,

Grace Bartels
Legislative Intern
Office of Representative Scott Sanford
512-463-0356

I suspect Scott is pretty progun. Whether he will suport this one or not I don't know.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

cowhow

Post by cowhow »

maybe I'm overlooking the obvious, so I'm going to ask. This bill reminds me of how hospitals were removed from statute and we could finally carry in them only to have virtually every hospital or medical facility post. This is a great bill and I support it 100%, but what are the chances of this repeating itself?

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 10

Post by treadlightly »

Very frustrating that no other members have the guts to stand up for something that's the right thing to do.

HB 560 needs to start showing signs of life.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

treadlightly wrote:Very frustrating that no other members have the guts to stand up for something that's the right thing to do.

HB 560 needs to start showing signs of life.
The House needs to wake up before the bill can get moving. As best as I can tell, the House hasn't done anything except re-elect the Speaker in the month that the legislature has been in session.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Beiruty »

I got a letter from my Texas Senator, It was well written and supportive to our 2ndA rights. He is a Life member of NRA and TSRA.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

stars200

Post by stars200 »

Russell wrote:Part of the issue is some of the loudest gun advocacy groups (That I am a member of anyway on Facebook), specifically Texas Carry and OCT, are putting pretty much 100% of their efforts behind Constitutional Carry, and I have not seen much if any effort put towards anything else. I could have missed it, but that has been the view I have gotten so far.

All of the noise is going towards Constitutional Carry, and none of it towards legislation that *actually*, in my mind, makes a difference towards our ability to defend ourselves.

I've mentioned it a few times in both groups with not much of a response back besides that they will publicly support it if it comes up for comment or vote. Lobbying for it though, I haven't heard anything besides lobbying for CC.
I tend to agree, every email I get is for CC. While I do support CC, I think 560 should be the priority. I think it would be easier to get the restricted places removed for licensed LTC holders first, after all we have the crime statistics on our side. I believe If CC passes we will have a harder time getting support since the training class and proficiency requirements will have been removed before carrying concealed.

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 14

Post by TreyHouston »

stars200 wrote:
Russell wrote:Part of the issue is some of the loudest gun advocacy groups (That I am a member of anyway on Facebook), specifically Texas Carry and OCT, are putting pretty much 100% of their efforts behind Constitutional Carry, and I have not seen much if any effort put towards anything else. I could have missed it, but that has been the view I have gotten so far.

All of the noise is going towards Constitutional Carry, and none of it towards legislation that *actually*, in my mind, makes a difference towards our ability to defend ourselves.

I've mentioned it a few times in both groups with not much of a response back besides that they will publicly support it if it comes up for comment or vote. Lobbying for it though, I haven't heard anything besides lobbying for CC.
I tend to agree, every email I get is for CC. While I do support CC, I think 560 should be the priority. I think it would be easier to get the restricted places removed for licensed LTC holders first, after all we have the crime statistics on our side. I believe If CC passes we will have a harder time getting support since the training class and proficiency requirements will have been removed before carrying concealed.
100% :iagree:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

Blood in the streets! :willynilly:
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”