HB 560 - Holy Grail?

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

BeanCounter
Posts in topic: 2

Re: HB 560 - Holy Grail?

Post by BeanCounter »

TSRA Life Member

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 7

Post by AJSully421 »

BeanCounter wrote:Texas House Committee Appointments

https://static.texastribune.org/media/d ... mittee.pdf
Phil King from Parker County as the Chair can only help. Nevarez is a hardcore lib, tried to POO kill both OC and Campus Carry last session. Schaefer was the one who spearheaded getting 30.06 dropped to a class C misdemeanor IIRC. I don't know much about the others.

Looks like the committee is 6/3 Republican / Democrat... should be smooth sailing for gun bills among that crowd.
Last edited by AJSully421 on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Flightmare »

I remember doing tech support for Rep King before he ran for office back in the 90s. Ahhhh....the good ol' days.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Bladed
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bladed »

AJSully421 wrote:
BeanCounter wrote:Texas House Committee Appointments

https://static.texastribune.org/media/d ... mittee.pdf
Phil King from Parker County as the Chair can only help. Nevarez is a hardcore lib, tried to POO kill both OC and Campus Carry last session. Schaefer was the one who spearheaded getting 30.06 dropped to a class C misdemeanor IIRC. I don't know much about the others.

Looks like the committee is 6/3 Republican / Democrat... should be smooth sailing for gun bills among that crowd.
The biggest obstacle in the House is always Calendars. Calendars is going to be tough for gun bills this session, but it's tough for gun bills every session, so that's nothing new.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 11

Post by mojo84 »

I'm a little disappointed unlincensed carry was featured in this newsletter from TSRA instead of reducing off limits locations.

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Gun- ... OdRw_D6g9Q
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

bigtek
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bigtek »

mojo84 wrote:I'm a little disappointed unlincensed carry was featured in this newsletter from TSRA instead of reducing off limits locations.
I wonder what percentage of TSRA members have a LTC who benefit from HB 560 compared to the percentage without a LTC who benefit from unlicensed carry.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

Liberty
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Liberty »

I look at the priorities of the TSRA as a sort of chess game. They may be looking ahead. I think the strategy might be to make the LTC as attractive as possible before pushing for the Constitutional carry. Maybe the TSRA believes that the licensed people are safer more responsible and more likely to be supporting the NRA/TSRA . Getting the pieces together such as reciprocity, free licensing, and authority to carry more places, makes the LTC more desirable.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

mojo84
Posts in topic: 11

Post by mojo84 »

Liberty wrote:I look at the priorities of the TSRA as a sort of chess game. They may be looking ahead. I think the strategy might be to make the LTC as attractive as possible before pushing for the Constitutional carry. Maybe the TSRA believes that the licensed people are safer more responsible and more likely to be supporting the NRA/TSRA . Getting the pieces together such as reciprocity, free licensing, and authority to carry more places, makes the LTC more desirable.
If what you say is true, why did they feature unlicensed carry? I'm ok with the free license. But they also featured unlicensed carry instead of reducing restricted locations.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

mojo84 wrote:
Liberty wrote:I look at the priorities of the TSRA as a sort of chess game. They may be looking ahead. I think the strategy might be to make the LTC as attractive as possible before pushing for the Constitutional carry. Maybe the TSRA believes that the licensed people are safer more responsible and more likely to be supporting the NRA/TSRA . Getting the pieces together such as reciprocity, free licensing, and authority to carry more places, makes the LTC more desirable.
If what you say is true, why did they feature unlicensed carry? I'm ok with the free license. But they also featured unlicensed carry instead of reducing restricted locations.
I think they are apeasing to their membership, but maybe their heart when push comes to shove, is to put 560 before all others. 560 is a bit complex and a little hard to explain in a news letter..

I still think we have a good chance to get the whole enchilada
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

imkopaka
Posts in topic: 5

Post by imkopaka »

Response from Tom Craddick:

Dear [name],

Thank you for your recent letter in support of House Bill 560. It is always nice hearing from constituents. I believe input from citizens is important to forming good public policy.

House Bill 560, filed by Representative Drew Springer, proposes to modify gun-free zones for those who lawfully carry a firearm. I expect the bill will soon be referred to a committee for consideration. You may follow this legislation, or any other legislation that may be of interest to you, through the Texas Legislature Online portal at http://www.legis.texas.gov/.

The Second Amendment is a very vital right to me and to many Americans. I fully support the Second Amendment right to self-protection and defense of liberty and believe that right should be granted to all eligible persons. I will be mindful of your support for House Bill 560 should I have the opportunity to consider and vote on this legislation.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write me on this important topic of public interest. if I can be of further assistance to you on this or any other issue please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

TOM CRADDICK

Texas State Representative

House District 82

I'm a little disappointed by the lack of explicit support in this letter. :grumble
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 10

Post by treadlightly »

No sponsors or co-authors yet, either, for HB560.

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 14

Post by TreyHouston »

Liberty wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
I think they are apeasing to their membership, but maybe their heart when push comes to shove, is to put 560 before all others. 560 is a bit complex and a little hard to explain in a news letter..

Charles said "constitutional carry will not pass". Time is not right" perhaps they are lettung the public know they support it and get the opposition to put ther money to block that one and NOT focus on HB560.... kinda like a watch the left and and not my right hand thing!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 14

Post by TreyHouston »

treadlightly wrote:No sponsors or co-authors yet, either, for HB560.
Wow! Thats crazy! I would love Charles opinion but sice the legislative session is IN he really isn't commenting... we will have to wait and see.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

TreyHouston wrote:
Liberty wrote:
mojo84 wrote:

Charles said "constitutional carry will not pass". Time is not right" perhaps they are lettung the public know they support it and get the opposition to put ther money to block that one and NOT focus on HB560.... kinda like a watch the left and and not my right hand thing!
I sure won't attempt to speak for Charles, but I think there has been a lot more national pressure and acceptance since the whole idea was floated a few months ago. Although Concealed carry is probably still a longshot, I think its chances have improved maybe more so than what Charles predicted. Personally, Constitutional carry does nothing for me, but HB560 is a big deal.
Liberty''s Blog

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 6

Post by TexasCajun »

If unlicensed carry passes this session & HB560 languishes. Don't count on any 560-like bill passing in the near future. The whole argument for 560 is that licensed carriers have earned the reduction of off limits places.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”