HB 560 - Holy Grail?

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Liberty
Posts in topic: 15

Re: HB 560 - Holy Grail?

Post by Liberty »

Russell wrote: 560 needs to be priority, it actually makes a difference in a person's safety. Unlicensed carry does not, you always have the option of getting your license.
I agree with the importance of HB560, but not everyone has the option of getting a license not everyone will have a license when they recognize they need the ability to protect themselves. Some people visit from states not reccognized. Others become ineligible due to back taxes or child support issues or other issues. Others may find themselves in immediate need to carry protection with them they deserve the right to protect themselves during the time that an LTC is processed.

The question isn't if letting the unlicensed carry will save lives, but do we care about them enough to let them protect themselves
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Russell wrote:Charles managed to explain 560 pretty well that I feel they could have managed to in their newsletter if they wanted to.

I'm frustrated with the TSRA right now to say the least. I sent some cash their way this session, I hope they don't let me down.

560 needs to be priority, it actually makes a difference in a person's safety. Unlicensed carry does not, you always have the option of getting your license.
They both will save lives. The right to life is an unalienable right. The right to protect life by keeping and bearing arms is guaranteed to not be infringed upon, per the US constitution. Licensing requirements and limitations on where one can carry both cost lives, and both are an affront to our basic human rights.

I'm sure that every one of us cares about one of these bills more than the other. That is understandable. But to say that removal of licensing requirements will not make a difference is a person's safety is wrong, at least for those that do not have a license for whatever reason. You could just as easily say that HB560 will not make a difference in a persons safety because they could just choose to not go anywhere that is currently restricted. Both statements are disingenuous at best, IMHO.

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 10

Post by treadlightly »

I had some fun today. I called several Representatives and told them my Representative, Kacal, needs some help.

I explained he's a good man, bless his heart, and he really has his constituents' best interests foremost. The poor guy just can't risk schoolyard bullies like Strauss.

By this time I was getting giggles. I continued, describing what HB560 was and saying Kacal knows supporting HB560 is the right thing, but, you know Kyle, it's not going to happen unless HB560 becomes a safe space.

Please, I asked, join up with the HB560 movement. There are a lot of timid Representatives who will jump right in just as soon as they don't have to be leaders.

Each of the staffers I called asked questions of me. I told them the point wasn't to meet violence with violence, the point was to toughen the fabric of society in general. It doesn't matter if I - or they - carry a gun to the grocery store, it's important that the grocery store not be a gun free zone. For that to happen, somebody needs to lawfully, respectfully, discretely, safely show up with a firearm.

License holders in Texas are the perfect bunch to do the job because they are so wonderfully law abiding, good people.

On the other hand, when gun free zones proliferate, these good strong folks who could tilt the odds away from criminals have to decide. Do they want to constantly arm and disarm, constantly abandoning their guns unattended in parking lots, or do they just give up and stop carrying the guns that could yield some defense against those who would terrorize our streets?

Of course, the only way to know if you're making headway with a politician is when you feel his hand in your hip pocket. Me, poor as a church mouse, I never get that feeling of power. :biggrinjester:

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 14

Post by TreyHouston »

Hahahahaha! Thats GREAT!!

Y'all do remember, there are a couple of bills that wave responsibility of an injured LTC holder of the store is NOT POSTED 30.06/30.07. This will put possible financial pressure on both the business and insurance company to not post. This will do just as much as HB560 could IMO.
WE have many great bills to help pass....
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Got this today:
85(R) HB 560
Relating to the places where a person may carry a handgun if the person is licensed to carry a handgun and to certain related criminal offenses.
2/20/2017 H Referred to Homeland Security & Public Safety
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 6

Post by ninjabread »

I'll celebrate when it gets out of Calendars.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 7

Post by AJSully421 »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:Got this today:
85(R) HB 560
Relating to the places where a person may carry a handgun if the person is licensed to carry a handgun and to certain related criminal offenses.
2/20/2017 H Referred to Homeland Security & Public Safety
Good, I am glad that others know how to sign up for TXLEG alerts. Great way to keep up with bills.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Skiprr »

It concerns me that this bill still has zero co-authors or sponsors.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

artx
Posts in topic: 3

Post by artx »

Skiprr wrote:It concerns me that this bill still has zero co-authors or sponsors.
Might be an effort to keep it low profile...or lack of interest. Hopefully the former!

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 31

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Skiprr wrote:It concerns me that this bill still has zero co-authors or sponsors.
Me too!

Chas.

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Skiprr »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Me too!

Chas.
Well, that concerns me even more....
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Bonnen has now signed on as a co-author. I'm not sure exactly what co-authors really are, or what sponsors do, but it seems shameful it took this long for anyone else to step up to the plate.

I called my Representative, Kacal, and learned he's not supporting most legislation until it gets to the House floor.

He's on the Calendars committee, working for all of us I'm quite certain, so he's going to take a lofty hands-off approach to legislation proffered by his lessers.

Lovely.

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 14

Post by TreyHouston »

Sneak attack! Intrest is elsewhere then everyone jumps onboard at the last minute! Ninja style!! :leaving
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”