HB 560 - Holy Grail?

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

gljjt
Posts in topic: 3

Re: HB 560 - Holy Grail?

Post by gljjt »

TresHuevos wrote:
gljjt wrote:
Russell wrote:
gljjt wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:Was a little disheartened to read the email update from TSRA this morning.....
HB560 is listed as their #5 priority.

Hoping that's high enough to push it through.

I appreciate the politics of LTC fee reduction in the #1 spot, but was hoping to see 560 as priority #2.
I suspect that HB560 is higher than #5 on the TSRA priority list, but is listed as #5 for other reasons.

For all the folks that seem to feel that Constitutional Carry is the top priority of the decade and are therefor using every single ounce of political capital to push it? :waiting:
Yep. Keep them happy, off the protest circuit and out of capital offices. Reduce the negative publicity that some can and have brought out in the past. Meanwhile, hopefully HB560 works its way through the system.
I would be very happy with a ninja style legislative maneuver on HB560. It just needs to get through. Period.

Agree completely!

E10
Posts in topic: 1

Post by E10 »

ralewis wrote:PA is awesome for Gun Laws... I am there about 6 weeks a year, and actually applied/received on the spot a non-resident PA license.My family always comments about how everyone in TX has a gun, and I have to sheepishly admit that PA is substantially less complicated to deal with when it comes to restrictions.
Except Philadelphia! Its over 1 million population gives special status to shape its own gun laws. My daughter lives there and I don't carry when I visit because I'm afraid I'll get arrested for carrying while being white, straight, conservative, and male, or some other stupid stuff.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 8

Post by ScottDLS »

E10 wrote:
ralewis wrote:PA is awesome for Gun Laws... I am there about 6 weeks a year, and actually applied/received on the spot a non-resident PA license.My family always comments about how everyone in TX has a gun, and I have to sheepishly admit that PA is substantially less complicated to deal with when it comes to restrictions.
Except Philadelphia! Its over 1 million population gives special status to shape its own gun laws. My daughter lives there and I don't carry when I visit because I'm afraid I'll get arrested for carrying while being white, straight, conservative, and male, or some other stupid stuff.
The only difference between Philadelphia and the rest of PA legally is you need LTCF to open carry.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

ralewis
Posts in topic: 7

Post by ralewis »

ScottDLS wrote:
E10 wrote:
The only difference between Philadelphia and the rest of PA legally is you need LTCF to open carry.
Because i spend 4-6 weeks there (Northeast PA), I got a PA LTC mostly because of the gun free school zone interpretation that you have to have a license from the state the school is in. Where I stay is within 1000 feet of 2 public schools. Suggest anyone spending time there get one -- cost $22 and about 10 mins at the Luzerne County Courthouse.

I've been carrying there for years, and I've never seen anyone open carry. My brother - who is a LEO - said he occasionally encounters folks open carrying though. I have carried at professional sporting events and actual bars without incident. Sure hope HB 560 passes...Like I said it's kind of embarrassing to admit to my family that PA laws are less restrictive than TX laws....

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 8

Post by ScottDLS »

:iagree:

I have had a PA LTCF in the past though now you have to appear in person to get one. PA is quite unrestrictive for a Northeastern state. Open carry there has been legal for years, but like TX since open carry, it seems to be pretty rare. There Uniform Firearms Act I think was passed in 1996. They do have some horrible court precedents that clearly contradict their law, but so does the Federal government and Texas has some potential for such too.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

booze97

Post by booze97 »

Lynyrd wrote:If any of our members live in Parker or Wise county, please write your representative Phil King and ask him to support this bill. He is the chair of the committee the bill has been assigned to, Homeland Security and Public Safety. There are nine members of this committee. They will decide whether this bill gets sent to the full house for a vote. Here are the representatives that need to be contacted.

Phil King, Parker and Wise counties - Chair
Poncho Nevarez, West Texas including Pecos, Marfa, and Van Horn - Vice Chair
DeWayne Burns, Bosque County and Johnson County
Gina Hinojosa, parts of Austin
Justin Holland, Collin County and part of Rockwall County
Jarvis D. Johnson, part of Harris County
Will Metcalf, part of Montgomery County including Conroe
Matt Schaefer, part of Smith County including Tyler
Jon Wray, Ellis County and part of Henderson County

Here is a link to the committee where you can find info on each member.

http://www.house.state.tx.us/committees ... ittee=C420
I live in Justin Holland's district and wrote him and asked him to sign on to the bill. I haven't heard back. I did speak to Pat Fallon, who represents the Denton County side of Frisco and afterwards he signed on as a coauthor.

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 13

Post by locke_n_load »

Does this bill have any real support in the legislature or any real chance of passage? I keep encouraging my students to write their reps in support but haven't heard anything about the bill other than being filled.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 10

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

locke_n_load wrote:Does this bill have any real support in the legislature or any real chance of passage? I keep encouraging my students to write their reps in support but haven't heard anything about the bill other than being filled.
Last time I looked there were no co-authors. Now there are two. I just emailed my rep again asking for support. I don't think its looking great, but I am not anywhere near the know, let alone in it.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Scappy

Post by Scappy »

I have wrote my representative for my district who happens to be Rep. King and committee chair. I was disappointed in the response I received: "Thank you for contacting our office. We appreciate your input on this matter."

Ruark
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Ruark »

The record shows it was referred to HS. Nothing beyond that yet. Is there some way to find out when the committee will discuss it? Can people go to the committee meeting and provide input?
-Ruark

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 31

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Ruark wrote:The record shows it was referred to HS. Nothing beyond that yet. Is there some way to find out when the committee will discuss it? Can people go to the committee meeting and provide input?
It's dead.

Chas.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Beiruty »

Wow! I thought this bill is well supported and had backing of TSRA and NRA. What went wrong? :mad5
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

tbrown
Posts in topic: 4

Post by tbrown »

Beiruty wrote:Wow! I thought this bill is well supported and had backing of TSRA and NRA. What went wrong? :mad5
Straus
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

imkopaka
Posts in topic: 5

Post by imkopaka »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: It's dead.

Chas.
:shock: wow. Warn a fella, will ya? I feel like you just shot my dog or something :cryin
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

mojo84
Posts in topic: 11

Post by mojo84 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Ruark wrote:The record shows it was referred to HS. Nothing beyond that yet. Is there some way to find out when the committee will discuss it? Can people go to the committee meeting and provide input?
It's dead.

Chas.

Any significant pro gun rights bills still alive?

From what I heard prior to the session from my rep and his staff, I am not optimistic.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”