HB 560 - Holy Grail?

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mr1337
Posts in topic: 15

Re: HB 560 - Holy Grail?

Post by mr1337 »

Just wrote my Rep, even though I know it will fall on (D)eaf ears.

Here's what I wrote if anyone wants to use or modify it for their Rep.
As a law-abiding Texan and a License to Carry holder, I am often forced to disarm and leave my legally-carried handgun in my car while entering specific buildings or zones designated as so-called "gun-free zones." In these zones, the State has determined that my right to self-defense is void. Criminals and terrorists determined to do harm have already shown that they do not care about these laws, which only serve to disarm law-abiding Americans while creating a target-rich environment for those with the will to cause harm.

A nightclub in Orlando. A church in South Carolina. A corporate party in San Bernardino. An elementary school in Connecticut. It's clear that criminals and terrorists prefer gun-free zones, and when a shooting or other assault happens in these zones, they are able to do more damage because their victims are unable to fight back.

Please support HB 560 to reduce the number of gun-free zones and strengthen Texas against crime and terrorism.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Abraham »

mr1337,

I like it!

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

ralewis wrote:
casp625 wrote:
treadlightly wrote:Man, that looks nice, but here's the question - what kind of nutcases will this bring out of the woodwork to make us all look like buffoons?

Removing the 51% restriction might sound like gun carriers want to get drunk and shoot the empties. Personally, I'd like to go to the best burger shack in town without disarming. It's a bar that defies certain prejudicial prototypes. It's motorcycle themed and quite family safe and friendly. The second time I went I saw a 51% sign and was surprised. It didn't seem like a place that should be off limits.

But I hate to think of theatrics on the State House steps, or drama queens in the legislative chambers gaining traction with blood-in-the-gutters fear mongering.
Read an article back in 2010 that stated 22 states allow firearms in bars, which I'm assuming means at least 50% of states allow it. How many of these states have real issues?

On a side note, I'll be visiting Pennsylvania later in 2017 and it appears that with a LTC, the only places primarily off limits is schools, court houses, secure portions of airport (federal), any federal facilities, correction centers and mental hospitals. Signs carry no force of law and you must be asked to leave or charged with trespassing. Pretty reasonable, if you ask me, and probably won't have to disarm the entire trip. :thumbs2:
PA is awesome for Gun Laws... I am there about 6 weeks a year, and actually applied/received on the spot a non-resident PA license.My family always comments about how everyone in TX has a gun, and I have to sheepishly admit that PA is substantially less complicated to deal with when it comes to restrictions.
As opposed to Ohio, which sounds like a set-up for a confusing mess. http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories ... nsion.html
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

tomtexan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by tomtexan »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I was going to make HB560 the sole subject in a Tex. Leg. Report, but I may make it a TFC Short-Shot. I publish the transcript of Short-Shots (not Tex. Leg. Rpts.) and I'll include talking points, although they won't be titled as such.

Chas.
Charles,
Did you get a chance to produce the TFC Short-Shot on HB560?

Looking forward to listening to it!
Thanks! :txflag:
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

OlBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by OlBill »

mr1337 wrote:Just wrote my Rep, even though I know it will fall on (D)eaf ears.

Here's what I wrote if anyone wants to use or modify it for their Rep.
As a law-abiding Texan and a License to Carry holder, I am often forced to disarm and leave my legally-carried handgun in my car while entering specific buildings or zones designated as so-called "gun-free zones." In these zones, the State has determined that my right to self-defense is void. Criminals and terrorists determined to do harm have already shown that they do not care about these laws, which only serve to disarm law-abiding Americans while creating a target-rich environment for those with the will to cause harm.

A nightclub in Orlando. A church in South Carolina. A corporate party in San Bernardino. An elementary school in Connecticut. It's clear that criminals and terrorists prefer gun-free zones, and when a shooting or other assault happens in these zones, they are able to do more damage because their victims are unable to fight back.

Please support HB 560 to reduce the number of gun-free zones and strengthen Texas against crime and terrorism.
I couldn't say it any better. I sent it to my rep.

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 14

Post by TreyHouston »

Done! Thanks for the heads up! It was pretty easy! :thumbs2:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

PM sent to my (R)epresentative.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 13

Post by locke_n_load »

tomtexan wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:I was going to make HB560 the sole subject in a Tex. Leg. Report, but I may make it a TFC Short-Shot. I publish the transcript of Short-Shots (not Tex. Leg. Rpts.) and I'll include talking points, although they won't be titled as such.

Chas.
Charles,

Also waiting for it. Doesn't seem to be up yet.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

I've emailed my rep! Very excited about this bill
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 7

Post by AJSully421 »

(D)eaf ears...

(R)epresentative...

I love it!
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Flightmare »

I just emailed my (R)epresentative asking her to close the "human hunting grounds loophole", and support HB 560.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

vjallen75
Posts in topic: 5

Post by vjallen75 »

Just emailed my representative in the house and senate. This will be a great step forward if this bill gets passed as it.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 31

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

locke_n_load wrote:
tomtexan wrote:

Chas.
Charles,

Also waiting for it. Doesn't seem to be up yet.
I'll try to get it out by tomorrow. I'm swamped with legislative stuff now.

Chas.

artx
Posts in topic: 3

Post by artx »

I sent Rep Springer a Thank You fax. My new (D) rep doesn't have contact info yet (unless someone knows a website that shows the incoming Rep's contact info - best I could find was a campaign PO box). Once she does, I'll contact her as well.

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

artx wrote:I sent Rep Springer a Thank You fax. My new (D) rep doesn't have contact info yet (unless someone knows a website that shows the incoming Rep's contact info - best I could find was a campaign PO box). Once she does, I'll contact her as well.
Ah, thanks - I'd forgotten to do that, just sent a thank you email to Rep Springer as well
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”