HB 560 - Holy Grail?

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 31

Re: HB 560 - Holy Grail?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I have posted an article titled "HB560 by Rep. Springer: The Most Important Self-Defense Bill Since 2007" on the TFC website. Included is a TFC Short-Shot audio. I just uploaded the audio file and iTunes and Stitcher won't have it available for a while. It depends on when they scan for update, but it should be available on both by tomorrow morning. The audio file is available on the TFC website now.

Remember, everything I'm doing on TFC, TFC Podcats and Tex. Leg. Reports are geared toward people who do not know as much about current law as do Forum Members. Therefore, some of the article and the audio file will cover information you folks already know. PLEASE send a link to the article to everyone on your email lists and your Facebook page. We must have a massive response to calls-to-action on this Bill, if we are to have any chance of passing it without being gutted in committee.

Chas.

Mxrdad
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Mxrdad »

I will do my part, and I will ask my peeps to pass it on to their peeps.
Just some guy's opinion.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Beiruty »

shared publicly on on FB page. Rep, Senator and Rep Springer were all emailed
Last edited by Beiruty on Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

jason812
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jason812 »

My concern is that without something done about government owned property posting 30.06 signs, this bill will be severely limited. Most of the statutory off limits areas are government owned or built with my tax dollars or built with a portion of tax dollars. I see signs going up at all professional sporting events even though most if not all of the stadiums are funded with tax dollars to some degree. These stadiums are also located in unfriendly territory and local law enforcement may not be on our side.

I have another question but that can wait until the bill has passed.

Please tell me this is in the works as well or how I am wrong or delete if inappropriate to ask at this time.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 31

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

jason812 wrote:My concern is that without something done about government owned property posting 30.06 signs, this bill will be severely limited. Most of the statutory off limits areas are government owned or built with my tax dollars or built with a portion of tax dollars. I see signs going up at all professional sporting events even though most if not all of the stadiums are funded with tax dollars to some degree. These stadiums are also located in unfriendly territory and local law enforcement may not be on our side.

Please tell me this is in the works as well or how I am wrong or delete if inappropriate to ask at this time.
Something is being done to fix "Fines for Signs." Even if it were not changed, HB560 will still make a big difference! The only time AG Opinion KP-108 is a problem is when a private person or entity is in total control of government property.

Chas.

Kkpsiknl
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Kkpsiknl »

Emailed my rep, I'll call tomorrow.

doncb

Post by doncb »

In plain language, what places where we can't carry now would we be able to carry with this bill? After reading through different things, I haven't been able to figure it out. All of the legalese makes my brain hurt. It almost reads that if there is a 30.06 /07 sign nothing changes.
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 4

Post by troglodyte »

doncb wrote:In plain language, what places where we can't carry now would we be able to carry with this bill? After reading through different things, I haven't been able to figure it out. All of the legalese makes my brain hurt. It almost reads that if there is a 30.06 /07 sign nothing changes.
Try this.

https://www.texasfirearmscoalition.com/ ... since-2007

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
jason812 wrote:My concern is that without something done about government owned property posting 30.06 signs, this bill will be severely limited. Most of the statutory off limits areas are government owned or built with my tax dollars or built with a portion of tax dollars. I see signs going up at all professional sporting events even though most if not all of the stadiums are funded with tax dollars to some degree. These stadiums are also located in unfriendly territory and local law enforcement may not be on our side.

Something is being done to fix "Fines for Signs." Even if it were not changed, HB560 will still make a big difference! The only time AG Opinion KP-108 is a problem is when a private person or entity is in total control of government property.

Chas.
For some reason my brain was picturing schools posting signs too. I wouldn't put it past some to try. I guess I've become use to anything associated with the government at any level to not act correctly.

I do think this bill goes along way for us. I can see the progression from this to no signs to constitutional carry.

Thanks Mr. Cotton, not only for the work you do but for having the patience to explain and teach us that have a hard time following legalese (I hope that was the correct word and if not, it would be fitting).
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

doncb

Post by doncb »

Thank you. That did help.

Unfortunately, I still won't be able to carry into the various hospitals that my job takes me to during the day. Bummer.
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Liberty »

doncb wrote:
Thank you. That did help.

Unfortunately, I still won't be able to carry into the various hospitals that my job takes me to during the day. Bummer.
I believe this will allow us to carry into Government owned hospitals. Many hospitals that are part of the government university systems such as UTMB are allowed to post and enforce 30.06 signs. Even though they are part of the state university system, they claim exemption through §46.035(b)(4), which is slated for deletion. I am not quite sure how it will effect places like MD Anderson in Houston which claims to be a part of the UTMB system. Private hospital systems like those in the Methodist system will still be allowed to post but this is a start.

Breaking up the victim zones in places like the Houston Medical Center needs to be done, That whole area has turned into one huge crime zone because they know that all their victims are rendered harmless and defenseless my the medical community.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 5

Post by twomillenium »

doncb wrote:In plain language, what places where we can't carry now would we be able to carry with this bill? After reading through different things, I haven't been able to figure it out. All of the legalese makes my brain hurt. It almost reads that if there is a 30.06 /07 sign nothing changes.
If these signs are on privately owned property, it will not change. The property owners rights remain intact, as they should be.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Scott Farkus

Post by Scott Farkus »

Russell wrote:On a different note, I hope we invest about 90% of our lobbying efforts towards this bill. I am personally way more interested in seeing this pass than constitutional carry this session.
:iagree:

I'm also far more interested in this than eliminating the LTC fees. I'll take both (and CC) of course, but hope we don't use all our chips on the others.

Is HB 560 going to be this session's HB 308, or will last session's HB 308 also be filed? Is one better than the other, or are they similar enough that it doesn't matter?

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Papa_Tiger »

Scott Farkus wrote:
Russell wrote:On a different note, I hope we invest about 90% of our lobbying efforts towards this bill. I am personally way more interested in seeing this pass than constitutional carry this session.
:iagree:

I'm also far more interested in this than eliminating the LTC fees. I'll take both (and CC) of course, but hope we don't use all our chips on the others.

Is HB 560 going to be this session's HB 308, or will last session's HB 308 also be filed? Is one better than the other, or are they similar enough that it doesn't matter?
HB 560 (TX-85) is significantly more expansive than HB 308 (TX-84) was.

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”