HB 560 - Holy Grail?

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 3

Re: HB 560 - Holy Grail?

Post by NotRPB »

Liberty wrote:
Ruark wrote:So what about 1911/375? Are they dead, too?
Nope, it will be heard in committee on Tuesday.
Someone better have some good Floor Amendments or Committee Substitute incorporating the "good parts" of HB560 in the other bills.
I can't be there Tuesday, else I might suggest it in a hearing (Though you're supposed to "stick to the bill in front of them")

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 10

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Don't get so angry folks, we have it pretty good here. Am I disappointed that this is dead? Absolutely. Do I realize that we have to put up with opposition at every level? Yes.

I'm not privy to every little deal or negotiation in Austin, and neither are most of us. This bill is dead, hopefully the idea is not. Last session was pretty productive, even if most of us don't open carry or work/go to school on a college/community college campus.

And even though it wont affect me (I will maintain my license regardless), I hope that HB1911 and SB16 get some movement and get passed. Expansions of rights are expansions of rights, even if they aren't the ones that you plan to use daily.

And hey, some fancy amendments about the locations that firearms can be carried could definitely be germane. :cool:
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

I want to point something out, Charles simply said HB560 was dead. He didn't mention plans to get part or all of it tacked on as an amendment to a compatible bill or anything else which could easily mean something is in the works or that he is already working on efforts regarding it for the next session. Let's wait and see what shakes out before we get too riled up.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

G.A. Heath wrote:I want to point something out, Charles simply said HB560 was dead. He didn't mention plans to get part or all of it tacked on as an amendment to a compatible bill or anything else which could easily mean something is in the works or that he is already working on efforts regarding it for the next session. Let's wait and see what shakes out before we get too riled up.
:iagree:

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 7

Post by RoyGBiv »

Received this via email from TSRA today..
I have no idea whether there's any relationship between this (below) and 560 being DOA.
Constitutional Carry

On Tuesday, March 28th, in House Committee on Homeland Security and Public Safety, HB 375 by Rep. Stickland will be discussed. This version of Constitutional Carry was filed by the bill author last session but never heard in committee.

A second version of Constitutional Carry, HB 1911, was filed this session by long-time state representative, James White (R-Hillister) Please read White's press release on the bill and the issue.

There will be debate, discussion and committee substitutes but the bills and the issue are at last moving.

Many thanks to Terry Holcomb, a member of the SREC for his hard work and to Representative White for taking on history.

TSRA will be in committee in support of Constitutional Carry.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

txbirddog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by txbirddog »

ScottDLS wrote:
doncb wrote:
TreyHouston wrote:...Snip.... i hope something (good) comes out of this legislative session...
Don't hold your breath. Maybe some "fluff" like allowed calibers or giving somebody a discount will pass, but nothing worth anything. For such an allegedly gun friendly state, Texas sure isn't looking like it. If our reps are afraid of their constituents not liking them voting for gun rights, maybe they should just change parties and stop living a lie. That or they need to grow a pair.

MDA will have reason to celebrate this year. I bet Shannon Watts can barely contain her glee.
It was suggested that this is the doing of Joe Straus who is the definition of a RINO. However, I suspect this bill was just to too much for many wobbly Republicans. My guess is Straus runs in a district that would normally elect a Democrat and of course he works with the Democrats to keep the Speakership. I've heard he's also blocking the consideration of Article 5 Convention of States and the Sanctuary City Legislation. Anybody up on legislative doings know this?

"Will no one rid me of this troublesome priest?" -Henry II of England :biggrinjester:
To any intelligent person, joe Strauss would not be considered ar R or even an r but keeps sucking up to dems to maintain speakership. Acts more like a yankee than a Texan. :clapping:

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 31

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I'm not happy that HB560 isn't going to pass. That said, let's not kill every other gun bill by attacking the people whose support and votes we need to pass pro-gun bills.

Chas.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

I called Springer's office this morning and asked if the bill was dead. After a short pause, the staffer said, "Probably."

Then she went on to say they had heard it would get a public hearing, I believe she said on Tuesday.

My guess is it's dead, the coroner has other things on his mind and will eventually get around to signing the death certificate.

Austin has a church-based illegal alien sanctuary network that leverages federal reluctance to raid churches. Maybe someday we could try trusting by default the law abiding citizen, and distrusting by default those who break the law.

I know. I'm a dreamer without a dream act.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Consider that HB560 getting killed at this stage is not a defeat, but an opportunity. Now we will not waste political capital on it that we can put to use on other legislation while giving us roughly two years to build political capital specifically for HB560. During this period lets document every assault, rape, murder, and other attack that a happens in an off limits location where a license holder could have defended themselves. While we are busy doing all of that let's educate the public about why this is a critical piece of legislation.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 7

Post by RoyGBiv »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I'm not happy that HB560 isn't going to pass. That said, let's not kill every other gun bill by attacking the people whose support and votes we need to pass pro-gun bills.

Chas.
There's something about having this decided early-on that makes it easier for me to support 1911... No "House Divided", I suppose.

Not my first choice, but, not difficult to decide to get on board.

So.... What do we need to be doing to finally get Constitutional Carry across the finish line? :txflag:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

HB560 would have certainly been my first pick to pass. Since it won't, let's do what we can to pass HB1911. If it passes, and there is no blood in the streets over the next 2 years, surely there can't be any argument against removing some restricted places, right?

Right?
NRA lifetime member

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

KC5AV wrote:HB560 would have certainly been my first pick to pass. Since it won't, let's do what we can to pass HB1911. If it passes, and there is no blood in the streets over the next 2 years, surely there can't be any argument against removing some restricted places, right?

Right?
:iagree:

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 31

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I would love to say so much more folks, but this is a public forum and I simply cannot expound on the situation. We need to fight hard for some very important gun bills we have filed. Clarifying "school activity grounds," exempting volunteer church security teams from the Occupations Code, dramatically lowering the LTC fee and several more improvements deserve our full support. We need to be strong in our opposition to anti-gun bills. We cannot let our anger at the death of HB560 yet again destroy our impact on Texas gun laws overall.

I will say this much. I'm a good soldier, but I cannot control everything, everyone or every organization. Immediately after this session is over, I will announce a new effort. I've outlined a comprehensive bill dealing with the carrying of handguns with and without a license in terms of license requirements, eligibility, off-limits areas, self-defense and more. When time permits, I will draft this comprehensive bill and when the session is over, I will launch this entirely new program. If we have a massive response it will be successful, otherwise, it will fail. It's that simple. Unfortunately, among the gun community as everywhere else in life, less than 10% of a group carry the load for everyone else. Only time will tell how many Texas gun owners are serious about sweeping changes to our gun laws.

Chas.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

I'm disappointed about HB 560, but to be honest I wanted it for selfish reasons. I believe the same can be said for all of us.

In truth, HB 1911 has the potential of helping many more Texans than 560 ever would. It could particularly help lower income folks who have no choice but to live in some of the most crime-ridden neighborhoods in the state.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”