HB56. Who does it apply too?

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Re: HB56. Who does it apply too?

Post by SewTexas »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I wonder if H&S Code §161.001(1-a)(B) would apply to a ham operator providing emergency communications on-scene? Subsection (B) is quite broad and vague.

Chas.

that could apply to anyone....heck, during the Loma Prieta quake, the Boy Scouts were out helping direct traffic at intersections.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

My volunteer group was called out to help following the Garland/Rockwall tornadoes last Christmas. During our work I need to use the rest room. Eventually I was pointed to a blacked out elementary school and told to "bring a flashlight and follow the signs on the wall".

Am I a felon? Or was that "necessity"?
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Daddio-on-patio
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Daddio-on-patio »

My opinion this would not apply to hospital staff. They are definitive care not first responders.
Working in rural EMS it is very often only myself and my partner arriving on scene in what can be sketchy circumstances. Many of my coworkers are LTC'ers and we have SOP's allowing us to carry on duty. However, that is terminated at the ED doors as the vast majority are 06-07's. So we disarm and secure with a lock box in the MICU. That being said, not all who are LTC do so due to the potential of working a busy call, not disarming when entering a facility, and being a test case.
I have spoke with three different retired officers (two Fort Worth, one Arlington) that provide initial classes for LTC and a retired Dallas detective that is in proper retirement mode (fishing. A lot!) They seem to think there is no need for a uniformed first responder in the line of duty to carry. Our County deputies and the couple of paid department officers are overwhelming supportive of us carrying. Rural EMS and law enforcement is a different environment from the more urban and suburban locations which tend to have much quicker response times with larger numbers of responders along with increased capabilities.

I would like to have the legal ability to carry on duty. And for those who have not scene a firefighter armed I would suggest you meet with a fire Marshall. Many of them are TCLEOSE, badge, and armed.

Peace for the New Year.
Ephesians 6:12 NKJV

12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,[a] against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 5

Post by nightmare69 »

Daddio-on-patio wrote:My opinion this would not apply to hospital staff. They are definitive care not first responders.
Working in rural EMS it is very often only myself and my partner arriving on scene in what can be sketchy circumstances. Many of my coworkers are LTC'ers and we have SOP's allowing us to carry on duty. However, that is terminated at the ED doors as the vast majority are 06-07's. So we disarm and secure with a lock box in the MICU. That being said, not all who are LTC do so due to the potential of working a busy call, not disarming when entering a facility, and being a test case.
I have spoke with three different retired officers (two Fort Worth, one Arlington) that provide initial classes for LTC and a retired Dallas detective that is in proper retirement mode (fishing. A lot!) They seem to think there is no need for a uniformed first responder in the line of duty to carry. Our County deputies and the couple of paid department officers are overwhelming supportive of us carrying. Rural EMS and law enforcement is a different environment from the more urban and suburban locations which tend to have much quicker response times with larger numbers of responders along with increased capabilities.

I would like to have the legal ability to carry on duty. And for those who have not scene a firefighter armed I would suggest you meet with a fire Marshall. Many of them are TCLEOSE, badge, and armed.

Peace for the New Year.
Fire Marshalls and investigators are not the ones putting on bunker gear dragging hoses into burning buildings either. I wouldn't want to expose live ammo to extreme heat. If I had go go into a fire I would dump my firearm and extra mags before doing so.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

nightmare69 wrote:
Fire Marshalls and investigators are not the ones putting on bunker gear dragging hoses into burning buildings either. I wouldn't want to expose live ammo to extreme heat. If I had go go into a fire I would dump my firearm and extra mags before doing so.
I would think that to be enough hot to cook off a round would be more than enough to cook the firefighter, although I am not willing to be the guinea pig to prove my theory.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Back in the day, I was a volunteer but I wasn't packing back then. We had a quick police and a separate and efficient Emergency Medical team. We really didn't lack for security. We did have a couple of LEOs with us who conceal carried when off duty, They bunkered up with their weapons on. Never heard of a case of firefighter Glock Leg. They had 4 choices.
1. Not to go to any fires
2. Disarm themselves in their Vehicle at the station. Cars at the Fire station was easy targets for vandals.
3. Leave the gun unsecure at the station or in the Truck
4. Take it with them. The easiest safest solution.

Disarming would have lead to wasting precious seconds, and risked leaving the weapons unsecured.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TreyHouston »

I hear on the MSM (scary news) that first responders have and are being targeted. Although not often, they are. Also, yall are put in some pretty shady situations. IMO, I support this 100%.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

TreyHouston wrote:I hear on the MSM (scary news) that first responders have and are being targeted. Although not often, they are. Also, yall are put in some pretty shady situations. IMO, I support this 100%.

They are targeted, sometimes they are the first on the scene of a domestic disturbance and someone will shoot at the first set of flashing lights they see. Firefighters have been specifically targeted in places like Detroit when arsonists would set fire to buildings and shoot at the responding firefighters. Although I was too young to remember, I read that the same thing happened in LA during the Watts riots. Not to mention, almost any time they are called there may be people who are combative, armed, and mentally imbalanced, who pose a direct threat to their safety. Being able to be armed, for first responders is, to me,a no brainer. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... t/1788917/

This is one of the most recent ones to hit the national news. I'm sure there have been others, but this one stood out to me.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Depends on each dept. policy and how aggressive the dept.is, especially vol.

Our vol. dept. is very dynamic and we run lots of calls, spanning 4 counties. For me it would not be too practical to carry.

Issue is with ROM while on MVA with extrication, structure fires with interior ops, fast moving wildland fires, EMS calls with very large patients where heavy lifting is imminent.

Might work for some, not for me here.

We closed 2016 with 550 calls.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I know DFD is buying ballistic vest for their firefighters. I have also seen on the news many FD's are buying vest for firefighters.

I think they should have the right to carry. Obviously I am not fireman or never have I ever been a firemen. I have answered a couple of calls (LEO) of house fires and I have never heard anyone speaking of rounds cooking off. I am sure it is possible, but must not be very often.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

carlson1 wrote:I know DFD is buying ballistic vest for their firefighters. I have also seen on the news many FD's are buying vest for firefighters.

I think they should have the right to carry. Obviously I am not fireman or never have I ever been a firemen. I have answered a couple of calls (LEO) of house fires and I have never heard anyone speaking of rounds cooking off. I am sure it is possible, but must not be very often.
When I hear of fallen firefighters, I do not hear of their Cross on their neck melting, or the kind of socks melting either. Rounds cooking off don't really have any risk of hurting anyone. Plus, I am sure during a house fire it is very hard to hear them anyways. I am sure there is a lot of (pops) during a house or any kind of fire.
The story is on the lost Firefighter, just where it should be. :tiphat:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

TreyHouston wrote:
carlson1 wrote:I know DFD is buying ballistic vest for their firefighters. I have also seen on the news many FD's are buying vest for firefighters.

When I hear of fallen firefighters, I do not hear of their Cross on their neck melting, or the kind of socks melting either. Rounds cooking off don't really have any risk of hurting anyone. Plus, I am sure during a house fire it is very hard to hear them anyways. I am sure there is a lot of (pops) during a house or any kind of fire.
The story is on the lost Firefighter, just where it should be. :tiphat:
:iagree:

Heart attacks, accident enroute and structural collapse are big ones.

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”