HB56. Who does it apply too?

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 5

HB56. Who does it apply too?

Post by nightmare69 »

HB56 (Flynn, R, A+) Relating to the carrying of a handgun by a first responder engaged in the actual discharge of the first responder's duties.
Impact: Renders 30.06 and 30.07 signs unenforceable as to first responders responding to a call.
What first responders, other than police, are allowed to carry firearms on duty? I don't see firefighters carrying for obvious reasons. Fire and live ammo don't mix.

I don't see EMS being able to carry either as I've heard of a federal law prohibiting carrying a firearm while in possession of narcotics. I'm sure dept policy prevents them both from being armed also.

Other than small volunteer depts, who will this benefit?
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Re: HB56. Who does it apply too?

Post by carlson1 »

nightmare69 wrote:
I don't see EMS being able to carry either as I've heard of a federal law prohibiting carrying a firearm while in possession of narcotics.
What law? If you have had a surgery and taking a pain pill I don't know of a law that bands you from your using your LTC.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

carlson1 wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
I don't see EMS being able to carry either as I've heard of a federal law prohibiting carrying a firearm while in possession of narcotics.
What law? If you have had a surgery and taking a pain pill I don't know of a law that bands you from your using your LTC.
Beats me, heard it from some hose draggers. They said since their ambulance contains narcotics they cannot carry a firearm because it could be viewed as drug trafficking.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

nightmare69 wrote:
carlson1 wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
Beats me, heard it from some hose draggers. They said since their ambulance contains narcotics they cannot carry a firearm because it could be viewed as drug trafficking.
Other than what you mention in your first post about Company Policy I would think this would benefit the ambulance and fire. I would guess the liberal Cities like Dallas, Houston, Austin, etc. . . probably have a policy of no firearms. Maybe with this law passing there it would bar Cities from banning our first responders.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WTR »

Reminds me of a video I saw many years ago. Game Wardens had setup a fake decoy deer and were video taping poachers. An ambulance drives by, stops, rifle protrudes out of a window and is fired a couple of times at the deer.

dhoobler

Post by dhoobler »

It affects first responders in the discharge of their duties. First responders are defined by Health and Safety code, section 161.0001 as:

(1-a) "First responder" means:
(A) any federal, state, local, or private personnel who may respond to a disaster, including:
(i) public health and public safety personnel;
(ii) commissioned law enforcement personnel;
(iii) fire protection personnel, including volunteer firefighters;
(iv) emergency medical services personnel, including hospital emergency facility staff;
(v) a member of the National Guard;
(vi) a member of the Texas State Guard; or
(vii) any other worker who responds to a disaster in the worker's scope of employment; or
(B) any related personnel that provide support services during the prevention, response, and recovery phases of a disaster.
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

HB56 adopts the definition of "first responder" found in Health and Safety Code §161.001.

Chas.
H&S Code §161.001(1-a) wrote:Sec. 161.0001. DEFINITIONS. In this subchapter:

(A) any federal, state, local, or private personnel who may respond to a disaster, including:
  • (i) public health and public safety personnel;

(iv) emergency medical services personnel, including hospital emergency facility staff;

(vii) any other worker who responds to a disaster in the worker's scope of employment; or
(B) any related personnel that provide support services during the prevention, response, and recovery phases of a disaster.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

carlson1 wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
carlson1 wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
Other than what you mention in your first post about Company Policy I would think this would benefit the ambulance and fire. I would guess the liberal Cities like Dallas, Houston, Austin, etc. . . probably have a policy of no firearms. Maybe with this law passing there it would bar Cities from banning our first responders.

I agree they should be able to carry. I just don't see many depts allowing them to do so.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I wonder if H&S Code §161.001(1-a)(B) would apply to a ham operator providing emergency communications on-scene? Subsection (B) is quite broad and vague.

Chas.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:HB56 adopts the definition of "first responder" found in Health and Safety Code §161.001.

Chas.

My wife is with the Texas State Guard. This will benefit her and other volunteers such as Red Cross.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

ELB

Post by ELB »

nightmare69 wrote:
carlson1 wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
I don't doubt they told you this but it sounds like complete bunkum. How on earth would having an LTC and firearm and being licensed to dispense opioids according to the approved protocols constitute "drug trafficking." "Drug trafficking" can certainly be done without a firearm, and there are some EMS folks who have gotten themselves in trouble fiddling with the inventory, but having a LTC and firearm doesn't have anything to do with it.

Now, if they are working for a large city or a large corporation, I can see those entities being gun-phobic and reflexively banning employees from carrying guns -- and giving all kinds of spurious reasons for it. "Care givers, not fighters" "drug trafficking" and so on. :roll:

The vast majority of firefighters in Texas are volunteers, not paid, and I would bet that the same is true for medical first responders. For example, in our county, when anyone from the unincorporated county calls 911 for a medical response, the ambulance will come from the city Fire & EMS, but the local VFD will be toned out to provide medical first response, and will nearly always beat the ambulance (and most time the deputies as well) to the scene. Those first responders will provide as much medical care as they are trained and allowed to do by local protocol. I have often been the first and only responder on scene for several minutes, sometimes doing CPR or staunching bleeding (altho more usually just finding the correct address, taking a medical history, and penning up all the dogs!). This is a pretty common set up (paid ambulance, volunteer first responders), but there are also many places where the volunteer FD provides ambulance service as well.

We have schools in our district, and other districts have statutorily off-limits places as well, and it is not unheard of for us to ride the ambulance to the (posted) hospital as well, assist the ambulance crew in route. Several people in our department have LTCs, and our only rule about it is no open carry on scene.
USAF 1982-2005

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

I didn't realize TXSG was considered a "first responder". Thanks for the info!!
:tiphat:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I wonder if H&S Code §161.001(1-a)(B) would apply to a ham operator providing emergency communications on-scene? Subsection (B) is quite broad and vague.

Chas.
And Co-Serv and Oncor utility workers too.... :shock:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

nightmare69 wrote:
carlson1 wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
Perhaps there's a difference between having been prescribed a narcotic, and having your LTC/firearm on the one hand, and being a dispenser of narcotics and armed on the other hand?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

jkurtz
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jkurtz »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:HB56 adopts the definition of "first responder" found in Health and Safety Code §161.001.

Chas.

Would this mean that the ER/ED staff at a posted hospital would be exempt from the posting?

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”