HB375 constitutional carry getting media attention.

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Re: HB375 constitutional carry getting media attention.

Post by bblhd672 »

mr1337 wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:Not sure how it works but would like to see DPS get more money for people working in the LTC department.
LTC fees go into the general fund, not directly to DPS. However, they might need to increase funding for that DPS department if they eliminate LTC fees.
Sorry, I didn't word that very well, I knew that the fees went into general fund.

I meant I wasn't sure how the legislative process works in order to get DPS need more money in the LTC department to hire additional personnel so initial and renewal LTC applications don't take so long.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

mr1337
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mr1337 »

bblhd672 wrote:
mr1337 wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:Not sure how it works but would like to see DPS get more money for people working in the LTC department.
LTC fees go into the general fund, not directly to DPS. However, they might need to increase funding for that DPS department if they eliminate LTC fees.
Sorry, I didn't word that very well, I knew that the fees went into general fund.

I meant I wasn't sure how the legislative process works in order to get DPS need more money in the LTC department to hire additional personnel so initial and renewal LTC applications don't take so long.
Will probably have to go into the appropriations bill. I think they work on that at the start of the session.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

jmra

Post by jmra »

Syntyr wrote:
SewTexas wrote:in many of the states you can chose to get a permit. I honestly don't have an opinion on Constitution carry. What I sort of have a problem with is Texas being the last state to pass it. lol
Dont worry...Texas won't be last. We will at least be ahead of California, New York, and DC!
From what I can tell from a quick google search only 10 or so states have constitutional carry and some of those states are very restrictive on where a firearm can be carried either under constitutional carry or permitted carry when compared to our LTC.
I expect that Texas will end up about the middle of the pack (if we ever get to that number).
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

jmra wrote:
Syntyr wrote:
SewTexas wrote:in many of the states you can chose to get a permit. I honestly don't have an opinion on Constitution carry. What I sort of have a problem with is Texas being the last state to pass it. lol
Dont worry...Texas won't be last. We will at least be ahead of California, New York, and DC!
From what I can tell from a quick google search only 10 or so states have constitutional carry and some of those states are very restrictive on where a firearm can be carried either under constitutional carry or permitted carry when compared to our LTC.
I expect that Texas will end up about the middle of the pack (if we ever get to that number).
I haven't done the research you've done, but this is the problem I have when folks argue that "____[insert state]____ gun laws are better than Texas because ____[insert a preferred gun law]____." Overall, there are very few, if any, states that I believe present a better total package of gun laws and laws related to their usage (especially self-defense). Therein lies the danger of looking to another state as an example of a law you want passed in Texas. Your opposition can counter your argument by pointing to laws of that other state that we don't want here. Of course, there are situations when other states can be used as examples, but this is more commonly the case when one is pointing to multiple states to counter a "danger" claim by the opposition.

Chas.

jmra

Post by jmra »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
jmra wrote:
Syntyr wrote:
I haven't done the research you've done, but this is the problem I have when folks argue that "____[insert state]____ gun laws are better than Texas because ____[insert a preferred gun law]____." Overall, there are very few, if any, states that I believe present a better total package of gun laws and laws related to their usage (especially self-defense). Therein lies the danger of looking to another state as an example of a law you want passed in Texas. Your opposition can counter your argument by pointing to laws of that other state that we don't want here. Of course, there are situations when other states can be used as examples, but this is more commonly the case when one is pointing to multiple states to counter a "danger" claim by the opposition.

Chas.
:iagree:
I may have worded my post poorly, but I in no way intended to suggest that other states had better gun laws than Texas. I am extremely thankful for the strides that have been made in Texas gun laws in just the short 11 years I lived here and would not trade our current LTC for any of the other states I've lived. If constitutional carry is passed no one will be happier than me. That being said, I'm thankful that those leading the charge (such as yourself) have wisely prioritized bills to give us the best return on investment (passing bills that restore our rights while providing the best opportunity to protect ourselves and our families). Thank you again for your tireless commitment that has directly impacted each and everyone of our lives.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Georgia and their "guns everywhere" law is something I would like to see Texas follow with something similar in the future. They can open carry in public schools among many other places that are off limits to Texans.

Funny law though. You don't need a permit to OC but if you cover your gun with your shirt you do.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

JCC511

Post by JCC511 »

One concern I would have about constitutional carry would be some people carrying that do not have any training and have no idea what they are doing. I understand it is our constitutional right as it is. Just not necessarily lawful to do so without an LTC. I see the value in the classroom and qualification through the LTC process.
submitted 11/14/2016 received 12/9/2016
my wife's 11/14/2016 received 3/8/2017

o b juan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by o b juan »

JC511

Yes Lots of folks need help in understanding how to load a magazine (the bullets not backwards :headscratch ) correctly , safety and when you can legally use it
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

canvasbck
Posts in topic: 4

Post by canvasbck »

JCC511 wrote:One concern I would have about constitutional carry would be some people carrying that do not have any training and have no idea what they are doing. I understand it is our constitutional right as it is. Just not necessarily lawful to do so without an LTC. I see the value in the classroom and qualification through the LTC process.
While I agree with this in theory, it just doesn't play out in the real world. Students who walk into an LTC class without the skills needed to defend themselves or safely handle a gun walk out of the LTC class still lacking those same skills. The percentage of LTC students who fail the qualification portion of the class is in the single digits, while the percentage of LTC holders who probably have no business drawing their weapon in public is probably larger than the percentage who are "defense proficient".

The hunter's safety course has morphed into the same problem. What started out as a good class has turned into a class where you spend more time on learning the difference between a flintlock and an inline muzzle loader than you do on actual hunting safety.

Programs like these are well intended, but quickly morph into an exercise in checking a box for legal compliance. This is mostly due to folks in Austin/Washington adding an ever expanding list of "required elements" that must be covered in these classes.

It would be inappropriate and an overreach of government authority for the government to dictate the amount of training it takes to be truly proficient with a handgun prior to carrying a firearm.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

JCC511

Post by JCC511 »

Agreed. I was disappointed how easy the LTC qualification actually is.
submitted 11/14/2016 received 12/9/2016
my wife's 11/14/2016 received 3/8/2017

canvasbck
Posts in topic: 4

Post by canvasbck »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
jmra wrote:
Syntyr wrote:

Chas.
There are a quite a few states that have less restrictive laws on CARRYING firearms (PA/ME come to mind). Many of those states are much more restrictive than Tx when it comes to legally USING your firearm (PA/ME come to mind again). In those states, you can carry virtually anywhere, but if you actually use it, your headed to the big house.

Arizona and Alaska are the only states that may have a leg up on Tx when it comes to overall 2A freedoms.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

JCC511 wrote:One concern I would have about constitutional carry would be some people carrying that do not have any training and have no idea what they are doing. I understand it is our constitutional right as it is. Just not necessarily lawful to do so without an LTC. I see the value in the classroom and qualification through the LTC process.
I have the same concern about voting. Just look at the real damage that is being done by ignorant voters every single election. This is much more dangerous to our nation than anyone with a gun could ever be.

Bring back poll tests!!!!!!!!

Or we could just acknowledge that the free exercise of individual rights can sometimes be a bit messy but that it is better than having the state control everything.

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”