SB 288 - Motorcycle "lane splitting" bill

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TVGuy
Posts in topic: 17

SB 288 - Motorcycle "lane splitting" bill

Post by TVGuy »

I apologize in advance if this should be in a different area, as it is not gun related.

SB 288 is awaiting referral to committee. It would legalize controlled lane splitting of motorcycles in Texas. Studies have shown that this is both beneficial to traffic flow and to rider safety. Take a look.

Hope it passes!

Liberty
Posts in topic: 4

Re: SB 288 - Motorcycle "lane splitting" bill

Post by Liberty »

What is lane splitting?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jmra »

Liberty wrote:What is lane splitting?
It's when motorcycles ride in between lanes of cars. Two lanes of traffic are stopped or slow moving and a motorcycle rides between the two lanes of traffic to the front of the line.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Liberty
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Liberty »

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good Idea.
I do know some of these big bikes tend to overheat if sitting in traffic for to long on a hot Texas Day ..
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

ianmko
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ianmko »

Awesome! This is one case where Texas actually needs to catch up with California... haha!

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I hope this bill passes. A few weeks back, I started watching every motorcycle "how to" video I could find. Lane-splitting, counter-steering and braking are popular videos. I see the advantage of lane-splitting for bikers and motorists.

BTW, my quest to return to riding after decades away is over.

Chas.

uthornsfan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by uthornsfan »

So excited for both Chas coming back to two wheels and for this to have potential for passage.

Topic author
TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

Congrats, Charles! I went through the same thing, but it was only about one decade. Still too long.

Topic author
TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

On a side note, I can't believe I found something I agree w/ Sen. Watson about.

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

TVGuy wrote:I apologize in advance if this should be in a different area, as it is not gun related.

SB 288 is awaiting referral to committee. It would legalize controlled lane splitting of motorcycles in Texas. Studies have shown that this is both beneficial to traffic flow and to rider safety. Take a look.

Hope it passes!
Got any studies or links for how lane splitting is safer? Just always seemed like a good way to run into someone (I ride). Thanks!
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Would love to be able to filter to the front at traffic lights... !!
Not only would it speed up my journeys, but sitting at the back of the queue is a good way to get smashed by an inattentive driver.

Not sure how much I'd split slow moving traffic. At least not until it was a"thing" for a while and cage drivers got used to it.

I'm also in the "hard to believe I want a California law here" camp.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

RoyGBiv wrote:Would love to be able to filter to the front at traffic lights... !!
Not only would it speed up my journeys, but sitting at the back of the queue is a good way to get smashed by an inattentive driver.

Not sure how much I'd split slow moving traffic. At least not until it was a"thing" for a while and cage drivers got used to it.

I'm also in the "hard to believe I want a California law here" camp.
Is the bill intended to allow for cutting to the front in a normal stoplight situation? That seems different than a traffic congestion situation.

I am fine with this as long as the onus is placed on the motorcycle rider to ensure that this maneuver can be done safely. I go to California about once a year, and it is not uncommon for me to see some very close calls with cars changing lanes and riders barely missing rear view mirrors with the sides of their bikes.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

:iagree: The biggest problem I've seen in Kalifornia is the idiots riding bikes (not all riders, just the idiots). Traffic will be crawling and here comes some idiot that thinks he can line ride at 60 or 70 mph. I've seen a few get splattered that way. Speed differential can be a killer.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

WildBill
Posts in topic: 5

Post by WildBill »

ianmko wrote:Awesome! This is one case where Texas actually needs to catch up with California... haha!
:iagree: This has been in affect in California for as long as I can remember.
In California a traffic lane is defined by how many vehicles can drive in the lane rather than lines painted on the road.
During the evacuation for hurricane Ike, I was amazing at the motorcycles sitting behind cars idling and going no where.
Since the cars were standing still, IMO it would have been safe to drive between the cars.

Replying to PawPaw's comment, I have been on I-45 in Houston driving at 50-60 MPH and have had Ninja bikers pass me
like I was standing still.
Last edited by WildBill on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
NRA Endowment Member

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I hope this bill passes. A few weeks back, I started watching every motorcycle "how to" video I could find. Lane-splitting, counter-steering and braking are popular videos. I see the advantage of lane-splitting for bikers and motorists.

BTW, my quest to return to riding after decades away is over.

Chas.
Once again, you are my hero!
;-)
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”