Anybody conversant on SB42?

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Anybody conversant on SB42?

Post by ELB »

SB42 is a bill "Relating to the security of courts and judges in the state."

Per tweets I am seeing from Chuck Lindell of the Austin American-Statesmen, Chief Justice of the Texas Supreme Court Nathan Hecht just made a speech, "The State of the Judiciary," to the Senate, in which he called for support for SB42. He introduced Judge Kocurek, who you may recall was shot outside her home in Austin, as support for increasing security for state (and federal) judges, and for increased courthouse security.

The text of a lot of the changes to the law that SB42 introduces seem to revolve around personal security, i.e. providing bodyguards for judges in certain cases, taking their home addresses of the driver's license, that sort of thing, but it also requires the judge of a court ot set up a court security committee consisting of the judge or the judge's rep, local law enforcement, and anyone else the judge wants on the committee.

On my first pass through the text, it doesn't seem to cover any specifics about courthouse security, other than the security committee is supposed to come up with plans and procedures. However, we know that whenever there is concern about a threat, the most likely source of that threat are the people identified as having felonies, no violent misdemeanors, all state taxes and child support paid up, etc, and they should all be disarmed and not allowed anywhere near the court (or children).

So I am wondering if Charles or Alice or anyone else has any more knowledge of what SB42 is likely to result in?

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... &Bill=SB42
USAF 1982-2005

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Anybody conversant on SB42?

Post by RHenriksen »

Good question; I checked the Texas Firearms Coalition 2017 bill summary, but it's not addressed there (so far):

https://www.texasfirearmscoalition.com/ ... ve-session
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”