Church Volunteer Security Services

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
gugisman
Posts in topic: 1

Church Volunteer Security Services

Post by gugisman »

HB 421, relating to Volunteer Church Security Teams, is scheduled for public hearing on Tuesday, March 07. Here is the complete text of HB421:

"85R1112 LHC-D, By: Rinaldi H.B. No. 421
A BILL TO BE ENTITLED AN ACT relating to the exemption from application of the Private Security Act of certain persons who provide security services on a volunteer basis at a place of religious worship.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. Subchapter N, Chapter 1702, Occupations Code, is amended by adding Section 1702.333 to read as follows:
Sec. 1702.333. PLACE OF RELIGIOUS WORSHIP; CERTAIN VOLUNTEERS. This chapter does not apply to a person who is providing volunteer security services on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.
SECTION 2. This Act takes effect September 1, 2017."

The bills primary author is Rinaldi, it has 4 co-authors: Krause, Leach, Phelan, and King (Phil).

It currently has 17 coauthors: Anderson (Rodney), Biedermann, Burrows, Cain, Flynn, Hefner, Keough, Lang, Metcalf, Sanford, Schofield, Shaheen, Stickland, Swanson, Tinderholt, White, Zedler.

I'm contacting representatives Tan Parker, and Lynn Stuckey today - to ask them to coauthor the bill. You can do the same with other representatives...

This bill does have a chance of getting to the floor. Just in case though, I will be suggesting an amendment, (in case the primary wording gets little or no traction), that 'exempts', or, "does not apply to" "Honorably Retired Local, State and Federal Law Enforcement Officers, pursuant to Title 18, U.S, Code, Sections 926C (d)(2)(B), and TX Occupational Code, Section 1701.357." This is a no brainer.... It will at least recognize retired LEO's, with their years of training and experience, as capable of performing security operations... as a volunteer, on a church security team.

I will testify on March 7th.

Anyone else care to join me???

Eric Inman
Ponder, TX

Sidenote: Matt Schaefer, once again, has introduced HB1267, which is very similar but includes "private schools" in the language. Thank you Rep. Schaefer!

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Church Volunteer Security Services

Post by Skiprr »

Topic already running here: viewtopic.php?f=141&t=88137

But thanks for your activism!
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”