HB659?

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
SewTexas
Posts in topic: 4

HB659?

Post by SewTexas »

where did this come from? how did I miss it? It's awful! uggg!
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 2

Re: HB659?

Post by warnmar10 »

569?

Topic author
SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

no, 659. it came up during the testimony the of the church security bill the other day. The sponsor tried to make it look like a "compromise"....basically, churches would have to go to DPS buy a "letter of authority", one fee if carrying, a different fee if not, and then they can establish security. There's other things involved, but yeh....again the state is telling the churches what they can do, and charging them for it.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ScottDLS »

Ahh..659. 569 is something to do with Magistrates appointing Truant Officers or some such. I wondered how it tied to Church Security... ;-)
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

HB659 is a bad bill and it is nothing more than the security industry's attempt to derail HB421. It needs to die a well-deserved death.

Chas.

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 2

Post by warnmar10 »

ScottDLS wrote:Ahh..659. 569 is something to do with Magistrates appointing Truant Officers or some such. I wondered how it tied to Church Security... ;-)
Clearly my google foo is lacking.

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

Churches can already carry a LOA - we did at one time. But you still have to buy the insurance for the LOA and still have to have the individuals licensed and trained. $$$$$ that most churches can't afford to divert from ministry.
Ron
NRA Member

Topic author
SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:HB659 is a bad bill and it is nothing more than the security industry's attempt to derail HB421. It needs to die a well-deserved death.

Chas.

I agree....
the problem is that he's trying to sell it as a compromise of sorts. This is $$$ that most churches can't afford. And I'm still trying to figure out what authority the state has to tell churches that they can't have security teams in the first place, but I've been trying to figure that out for more years than I care to count.
~Tracy

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

SewTexas wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:HB659 is a bad bill and it is nothing more than the security industry's attempt to derail HB421. It needs to die a well-deserved death.

Chas.
I agree....
the problem is that he's trying to sell it as a compromise of sorts. This is $$$ that most churches can't afford. And I'm still trying to figure out what authority the state has to tell churches that they can't have security teams in the first place, but I've been trying to figure that out for more years than I care to count.
That's the same "authority" that wants to force churches to perform same-sex marriages, and provide employee health insurance that covers abortion.

It doesn't matter what side of the partisan aisle it's coming from. If it assumes that religious freedom depends on permission from the state, then it is all cut from the same cloth, and the cretins who want this compromise are no better than the cretins who want to see Christian bakers driven into bankruptcy for refusing to make a wedding cake for a ceremony which violates their Christian consciences. In fact, the security industry demonstrates to us that it is as statist as any deep-state apparatchik.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
SewTexas wrote:

Chas.
I agree....
That's the same "authority" that wants to force churches to perform same-sex marriages, and provide employee health insurance that covers abortion.

It doesn't matter what side of the partisan aisle it's coming from. If it assumes that religious freedom depends on permission from the state, then it is all cut from the same cloth, and the cretins who want this compromise are no better than the cretins who want to see Christian bakers driven into bankruptcy for refusing to make a wedding cake for a ceremony which violates their Christian consciences. In fact, the security industry demonstrates to us that it is as statist as any deep-state apparatchik.

good words as always TAM
~Tracy

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”