HB435 Volunteer Emergency Svces Carrying

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
NotRPB
Posts in topic: 8

Re: HB435 Volunteer Emergency Svces Carrying

Post by NotRPB »

carving out exceptions for certain people
:iagree: Should be a "Good Samaritan" exemption for ANY licensee who doesn't have time to disarm & safely store a weapon to help people in an emergency prior to entering a typically off limits place, rather than carved out this or that designated "emergency helper".
I mean I have a fire extinguisher, but wait while I call 911 and wait or disarm and store my gun before I help?
But if exceptions are being carved out, I'd broaden the list of exceptions to "Good Samaritan" anyone in an emergency that is willing to assist.
(At least a defense, similar to the "Necessity" portion in Penal Code Sec. 9.02 Justification) http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/S ... m/PE.9.htm

Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pariah3j »

SRO1911 wrote:Another question i was posed today; did not have a good answer.
Federal gfsz - so a responder has to run on a kid in the gym. 435 grants a defense from state prosecution.

I know there are exemptions for the fed that allow staff to carry with board OK. How does this play for first responders in this situation?
Well assuming you have a TX LTC, I believe if I understand correctly, this would be a non-issue because you are allowed to carry on the grounds of a school in TX (with an LTC) just not inside the premise if I remember correctly. How that would play out for someone running inside a school during an emergency, I don't know - I would hope common sense would rule the day... but ya know with the whole 'Won't someone think of the Children ?!" mentality, sense goes out the window.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 23

Post by RoyGBiv »

Liberty wrote:Is CERT really likely to need this exemption? I am not familiar with the situations that they are likely to find themselves in, but I was wondering how likely they would be to set up in a posted 30.06/07 location particularly under an emergency situation.

Just curious.
The way I read the Bill, I think CERT would be included in the definition.
(For those not familiar, CERT = Community Emergency Response Team and is structured/defined/implemented under FEMA guidelines)

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/85 ... 00435E.htm
(emphasis mine)
(18) "Volunteer emergency services personnel"
includes a volunteer firefighter, an emergency medical services
volunteer as defined by Section 773.003, Health and Safety Code,
and any individual who, as a volunteer, provides services for the
benefit of the general public during emergency situations
. The
term does not include a peace officer or reserve law enforcement
officer, as those terms are defined by Section 1701.001,
Occupations Code, who is performing law enforcement duties.
And I can give you a specific real-world example:
A year ago December I (as part of a CERT team) responded to assist with damage assessment following the Garland/Rockwall tornadoes. Somewhere in the middle of the day, "nature called" and I was directed to use the restrooms at the local public school. Good thing I had a flashlight, since power was out.
Last edited by RoyGBiv on Thu May 04, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

NotRPB wrote:If a building collapses on people and there's a 30.06 sign at what was the entrance, do you need to store your gun in a gunsafe in the car before running in to clear debris and swat rattlesnakes in it away from trapped people?
IANAL... This is not legal advice, just my opinion.

"Necessity" should be sufficient justification for entering a posted location that is experiencing an emergency.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/S ... m/PE.9.htm
CHAPTER 9. JUSTIFICATION EXCLUDING CRIMINAL RESPONSIBILITY

Sec. 9.22. NECESSITY. Conduct is justified if:

(1) the actor reasonably believes the conduct is immediately necessary to avoid imminent harm;
(2) the desirability and urgency of avoiding the harm clearly outweigh, according to ordinary standards of reasonableness, the harm sought to be prevented by the law proscribing the conduct; and
(3) a legislative purpose to exclude the justification claimed for the conduct does not otherwise plainly appear.

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ninjabread »

I think carve outs are one of the biggest legislative problems in government. It stinks of "rights for me but not for thee" as another member put it. So, when there are loopholes for special people, I agree with the poster on the first page who suggested we self-identify as one of the special people. Until a court rules otherwise, I support using and abusing every loophole written into the law for special interest groups, from taxes to gun rights to ADA.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 18

Post by ScottDLS »

ninjabread wrote:I think carve outs are one of the biggest legislative problems in government. It stinks of "rights for me but not for thee" as another member put it. So, when there are loopholes for special people, I agree with the poster on the first page who suggested we self-identify as one of the special people. Until a court rules otherwise, I support using and abusing every loophole written into the law for special interest groups, from taxes to gun rights to ADA.
I use this theory to bring my emotional support pig on the airline without paying a pet fee.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

casp625
Posts in topic: 3

Post by casp625 »

This is a great bill! Going to look into requirements for becoming a volunteer emergency service personnel so I can legally walk past 30.06 & 30.07 signs without repercussions! :tiphat:

Lambda Force
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lambda Force »

ScottDLS wrote:
ninjabread wrote:I think carve outs are one of the biggest legislative problems in government. It stinks of "rights for me but not for thee" as another member put it. So, when there are loopholes for special people, I agree with the poster on the first page who suggested we self-identify as one of the special people. Until a court rules otherwise, I support using and abusing every loophole written into the law for special interest groups, from taxes to gun rights to ADA.
I use this theory to bring my emotional support pig on the airline without paying a pet fee.
They won't let me bring my emotional support pig on the airlines because it's a Noveske. :cryin
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Liberty »

casp625 wrote:This is a great bill! Going to look into requirements for becoming a volunteer emergency service personnel so I can legally walk past 30.06 & 30.07 signs without repercussions! :tiphat:
Being an emergency responder won't be good enough. The exemption will only kick in if actually responding to an emergency as an emergency responder.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Liberty wrote:
casp625 wrote:This is a great bill! Going to look into requirements for becoming a volunteer emergency service personnel so I can legally walk past 30.06 & 30.07 signs without repercussions! :tiphat:
Being an emergency responder won't be good enough. The exemption will only kick in if actually responding to an emergency as an emergency responder.
Incorrect, partly.
The way it is written 30.06 /30.07 defense to prosecution is not tied to actively responding.

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AJSully421 »

So long as all humans were evacuated, I'd sit and watch a place posted 06/07 burn to the ground... and I would make sure that the owner knew why.

Casualties of the culture war.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Topic author
NotRPB
Posts in topic: 8

Post by NotRPB »

AJSully421 wrote:So long as all humans were evacuated, I'd sit and watch a place posted 06/07 burn to the ground... and I would make sure that the owner knew why.

Casualties of the culture war.
OHHH I like that Idea! and when the Media TV Stations, NewsPapers showed up, I'd let them know I'm sitting here OUTSIDE with a fire Extinguisher/hose etc BECAUSE I wasn't allowed to go inside to save the property, BECAUSE THE OWNER PROHIBITED ME ENTERING, so I honored his desire, and obeyed the law ... see the sign? and point to it.

apvonkanel
Posts in topic: 5

Post by apvonkanel »

Honestly, objecting to this bill due to "carve outs" for certain people seems like opposing open carry for LTC because it isn't constitutional carry. Every one of us with an LTC benefits from a "carve out", yet none of us are opposed having one. Everyone that had a CHL benefited from a carve out, then the liberty of the carve out was expanded with no prosecution for accidental reveals, and even more with open-carry.

Removing all restrictions at once just isn't going to happen. Be realistic here. John Q. Public needs to be baby-stepped, otherwise the backlash will put us even further from the goal. Whittling away at the restrictions is feasible, especially if it's supported across the board. If you whittle enough, you end up with nothing. In this case, the "nothing" would be everyone being able to carry in all public spaces. I don't think this bill goes far enough as an end-game, but it's definitely a step in the process.
In the Navy I learned to love the Mossberg 590A1 and hate the Beretta M9

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

apvonkanel wrote:Honestly, objecting to this bill due to "carve outs" for certain people seems like opposing open carry for LTC because it isn't constitutional carry. Every one of us with an LTC benefits from a "carve out", yet none of us are opposed having one. Everyone that had a CHL benefited from a carve out, then the liberty of the carve out was expanded with no prosecution for accidental reveals, and even more with open-carry.

Removing all restrictions at once just isn't going to happen. Be realistic here. John Q. Public needs to be baby-stepped, otherwise the backlash will put us even further from the goal. Whittling away at the restrictions is feasible, especially if it's supported across the board. If you whittle enough, you end up with nothing. In this case, the "nothing" would be everyone being able to carry in all public spaces. I don't think this bill goes far enough as an end-game, but it's definitely a step in the process.
Sanity from the new(ish) guy! :thumbs2:

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”