HB435 Volunteer Emergency Svces Carrying

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Re: HB435 Volunteer Emergency Svces Carrying

Post by Flightmare »

parabelum wrote:I didn't see Pelosi's house mentioned on that list. Oh well.
I thought the house landed ON her.

Deplorable lunatic since 2016

The Dude
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Dude »

RossA wrote:So if we start a "volunteer militia" and the charter documents say that we exist to provide services for the benefit of the general public during emergencies, members would fall under this law?
It looks like that would comply with the black letter law. Calling it a militia might invite unwanted attention but a neighborhood emergency response fellowship might sound softer.
ABIDE

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 23

Post by RoyGBiv »

ELB wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:Question.... Assuming the Gov signs the Bill, does it become effective immediately??
I seem to recall that if a Bill passes with XX % of the vote it becomes effective upon the Gov's signing...

Final tally in the House was 136/9/2 - 92.5%
Final tally in the Senate was 28/3 - 90.3%
I think the bill has to state that it takes effect immediately upon signing if passed by 2/3 of the House and 2/3 of the Senate. This bill states only that it will take effect on 01 Sep 17.
Thanks!
Couldn't recall how that worked.

:thumbs2:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 10

Post by TreyHouston »

The Dude wrote:
RossA wrote:So if we start a "volunteer militia" and the charter documents say that we exist to provide services for the benefit of the general public during emergencies, members would fall under this law?
It looks like that would comply with the black letter law. Calling it a militia might invite unwanted attention but a neighborhood emergency response fellowship might sound softer.
Why don't you actually join the TXSG? We have a lot of fun!

Also, just to be clear. A TXSG member is no longer affected by 30.06 or 30.07 at all, on duty or not?
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 11

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

TreyHouston wrote:
The Dude wrote:
Why don't you actually join the TXSG? We have a lot of fun!

Also, just to be clear. A TXSG member is no longer affected by 30.06 or 30.07 at all, on duty or not?
I wonder if the state guard would be a volunteer emergency force or if they fall more in line as a militia? It's a volunteer force, who responds to emergencies in the state, but it's organized like a military unit, kinda sorta...

Isn't ambiguity in written law fun?

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... navpanes=0

30.06 and 30.07 now have a defense to prosecution if you're a volunteer emergency services provider.
46.02 and 46.03 do not apply to volunteer emergency services personnel while engaged in providing emergency services.
46.035 now has a defense to prosecution if you are emergency services personnel engaged in providing emergency services.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Liberty
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Liberty »

This should cover Red Cross workers and Salvation Army Troops.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

gljjt
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gljjt »

If you interpret the bill literally, it applies to "everyone" as long as they "volunteer" for service during emergencies. There is no distinction that I see between organized and individual entities. The only difference is the FF/EMT has an ID card and the individual has only their word. Get an ARC ID and your covered as I read it. I suspect that LE/DA may disagree.

gljjt
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gljjt »

TreyHouston wrote:

For Texas Army National Guard, Texas Air National Guard and Texas State Guard:

No OC in uniform so 30.07 is irrelevant for on duty. Only OC in uniform is with issued weapons.

This isn't law, yet, so 30.06 / 30.07 applies off duty and 30.06 applies on duty.

If this becomes law, I don't know what will happen!

parabelum
Posts in topic: 13

Post by parabelum »

As I was walking into HEB this morning....reluctantly....I thought about something. Presume this bill becomes a law, which it looks like it will, after Sep. 1, I could walk into HEB while carrying open and if a manager or an employee advised me of no open carry then what? Inform them that I'm covered under the new law? Show my Fire/EMS ID? CERT ID? Just continue to CC there only (likely what I will do)?

How is this new information going to be disseminated amongst business posted as 06 or 07 or both? Will they even know (my suspicion is not)?

Amend the 06&07 signs to include "unless dot dot dot personnel..."?

Do I now get a special badge? :smilelol5:

Liberty
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Liberty »

They can always ask you to leave. Refusal would be tresspassing.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Right. I was wondering about some of the more sensible options...

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 18

Post by ScottDLS »

Liberty wrote:They can always ask you to leave. Refusal would be tresspassing.
Not if the reason they asked you to leave was that you were open carrying. I predict a rash of circle slash "firefighter hat" signs which is the worldwide accepted legal trespass notice meaning specifically:

30.05 Criminal Trespass Notice - Emergency Services Personnel whether volunteer or employed by a government agency do not have the permission of the owner or anyone with apparent authority to act for the owner enter this property.

To enter past the circle / firefighter hat would be a class A misdemeanor if you were armed. All of this is simply a reflection of one of the "most precious threads" in the bundle of Texas private property rights.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SewTexas »

Liberty wrote:This should cover Red Cross workers and Salvation Army Troops.

did anyone else hear the debate on the floor? there was debate about who were first repsonders....some argued it included teachers, pastors and parents....it was....interesting.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 10

Post by TreyHouston »

I seriously doupt you will see a rash of open carry! "There will be blood in the streets, firefights EVERYWHERE!" Nope, im sure it will go the same way as every other gun law. ;-)
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

I tend to agree with Trey above. For me, this is more of a symbolic passage, another inch of 2A restored if you will.

I see in the future some amendments to signs perhaps, which will make them bigger as more text will presumably need to be added, more expensive thusly, and hopefully within few years they'll be just plain to big to post up front :biggrinjester:

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”