HB1911: Rep. White's Press Release

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 9

HB1911: Rep. White's Press Release

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Don't attack anyone mentioned in this press release! I want pro-gun bills to pass far more than I want to provide a venting opportunity.

Chas.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Re: HB1911: Rep. White's Press Release

Post by Jusme »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Don't attack anyone mentioned in this press release! I want pro-gun bills to pass far more than I want to provide a venting opportunity.

Chas.

I have no reason to attack anyone, I just wish that more prohibited areas were removed. One question, will the removal of TABC blue sign restrictions, also apply to the carry of long guns? Not that I plan on walking into convenience stores and restaurants with a slung AR, but folding rifles and compact SBRs could be carried in backpacks and briefcases.

Thanks for posting this Charles. Maybe if this passes, we can then work on the removal of prohibited places in the next session.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

We've been told time and time again that "constitutional carry" won't pass in this session - yet TSRA and many others seem to be expending a great deal of monetary and political capital to do so.

Call me confused...or at least unable to discern the game that is afoot.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 8

Post by treadlightly »

If nothing else, if HB1911 passes it will build a history that will help pass future legislation.

HB 1911 might not be the best thing, but it's a good thing. I once got to a store with a blue sign and discovered I didn't have my wallet, which meant I didn't have my CHL or my driver's license. No reason for that to be a felony, it was just stupid me having a brain moment. Naturally, I drove safely and sedately directly home and got what I should have had all along.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
You got it! Charles, as a practical matter if you are free to discuss it, I have two questions:

(1) Would Texas continue to issue LTC's for those that want them for reciprocity purposes, like Arizona does for instance?

(2) How would passage of Constitutional Carry affect 30.06/30.07 issues, which specifically apply to licensed individuals?

Thanks for all the work you're doing!!
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

bblhd672 wrote:We've been told time and time again that "constitutional carry" won't pass in this session - yet TSRA and many others seem to be expending a great deal of monetary and political capital to do so.

Call me confused...or at least unable to discern the game that is afoot.

I'm sure there have been consensus meetings regarding this, (at least I hope so) but I also share the confusion. Maybe that's why so few legislators signed on to HB560. I would think that this would have been presented first, and then have HB560 as a "compromise". I guess that's why I'm not a politician. :???:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

TresHuevos
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TresHuevos »

I'm all about training and I feel that the training requirement that an LTC holder goes through is one of the arguments "for" constitutional carry. IMHO there really isn't anything that the average person gains or retains that will make them a better or more responsible carrier. Maybe the interim solution would be constitutional carry with an enhanced permit allowing those with an enhanced permit to carry in all of the places HB560 would have allowed.
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic deeds." - C.S. Lewis
My State Rep Joe Moody is a liberal puke who won't even acknowledge my communications with him. How about yours?

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Liberty »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:

Chas.
You got it! Charles, as a practical matter if you are free to discuss it, I have two questions:

(1) Would Texas continue to issue LTC's for those that want them for reciprocity purposes, like Arizona does for instance?

(2) How would passage of Constitutional Carry affect 30.06/30.07 issues, which specifically apply to licensed individuals?

Thanks for all the work you're doing!!
From the press release

HB1911 seeks to bring handgun carry in line with long gun carry and restore Texas Citizens right to carry a handgun without a license.

• HB1911 does not expand who can carry, only where they can carry. Millions of unlicensed Texans carry handguns lawfully in their vehicle every day. We are only expanding where they can carry.

• Must meet eligibility requirements in 411.172(a)(2)-(10), Government Code in HB1911 in order to carry unlicensed. This brings licensed and unlicensed carry on even footing without having extra eligibility burdens on citizens to exercise their right to carry a handgun just like they can carry a long gun today.

• 30.05 is amended to include exemption for lawful unlicensed carry of a handgun.

• 30.08 addition will empower businesses to choose who they let carry on their property.

• 30.06 and 30.07 are maintained for license holders.

• TABC “blue” signs are eliminated while maintaining the restriction of carrying into 51% establishments.
• Unlicensed carriers will be able to carry everywhere licensed holders can except for

college campuses. Citizens will still need and license to carry (LTC) to conceal carry on

college campuses.

• Confirms State Preemption to unlicensed carry of handguns.

• Extends accidental carry at airport security to unlicensed carriers.

Licensing is maintained as optional.

• HB1911 puts a protection in place for license holders to be able to petition a court to keep
their license. If the only reason someone has their license to carry suspended or denied is that are charged only with a crime and not convicted, they can petition a judge. A judge will look at the totality of the circumstances and render his decision based on that as to whether a person can carry with a license until a ruling is made on their charges. This is due process and has been lacking far to long for Texans.
It looks like the license option will still be available. Very important to those of us who travel out of state often.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

HB1911 seeks to bring handgun carry in line with long gun carry and restore Texas Citizens

right to carry a handgun without a license.

• HB1911 does not expand who can carry, only where they can carry. Millions of

unlicensed Texans carry handguns lawfully in their vehicle every day. We are only

expanding where they can carry.

• Must meet eligibility requirements in 411.172(a)(2)-(10), Government Code in HB1911

in order to carry unlicensed. This brings licensed and unlicensed carry on even footing

without having extra eligibility burdens on citizens to exercise their right to carry a

handgun just like they can carry a long gun today.

• 30.05 is amended to include exemption for lawful unlicensed carry of a handgun.

• 30.08 addition will empower businesses to choose who they let carry on their property.

• TABC “blue” signs are eliminated while maintaining the restriction of carrying into 51%

establishments.

• Unlicensed carriers will be able to carry everywhere licensed holders can except for

college campuses. Citizens will still need and license to carry (LTC) to conceal carry on

college campuses.

• Licensing is maintained as optional.

• HB1911 puts a protection in place for license holders to be able to petition a court to keep

their license. If he only reason someone has their license to carry suspended or denied is

that are charged only with a crime and not convicted, they can petition a judge. A judge

will look at the totality of the circumstances and render his decision based on that as to

whether a person can carry with a license until a ruling is made on their charges. This is

due process and has been lacking far to long for Texans.
I sure hope this doesn't mean that 30.06 / 30.07 signs will only restrict carry for LTC holders and not for those without an LTC. I assume I am reading this part incorrectly....

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Flightmare »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
HB1911 seeks to bring handgun carry in line with long gun carry and restore Texas Citizens

right to carry a handgun without a license.

• HB1911 does not expand who can carry, only where they can carry. Millions of

unlicensed Texans carry handguns lawfully in their vehicle every day. We are only

expanding where they can carry.

• Must meet eligibility requirements in 411.172(a)(2)-(10), Government Code in HB1911

in order to carry unlicensed. This brings licensed and unlicensed carry on even footing

without having extra eligibility burdens on citizens to exercise their right to carry a

handgun just like they can carry a long gun today.

• TABC “blue” signs are eliminated while maintaining the restriction of carrying into 51%

establishments.

college campuses.

• Licensing is maintained as optional.

their license. If he only reason someone has their license to carry suspended or denied is

that are charged only with a crime and not convicted, they can petition a judge. A judge

will look at the totality of the circumstances and render his decision based on that as to

whether a person can carry with a license until a ruling is made on their charges. This is

due process and has been lacking far to long for Texans.
I sure hope this doesn't mean that 30.06 / 30.07 signs will only restrict carry for LTC holders and not for those without an LTC. I assume I am reading this part incorrectly....
My interpretation is that 30.08 signs will be added to restrict unlicensed carry.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

artx

Post by artx »

treadlightly wrote:If nothing else, if HB1911 passes it will build a history that will help pass future legislation.

HB 1911 might not be the best thing, but it's a good thing. I once got to a store with a blue sign and discovered I didn't have my wallet, which meant I didn't have my CHL or my driver's license. No reason for that to be a felony, it was just stupid me having a brain moment. Naturally, I drove safely and sedately directly home and got what I should have had all along.
I'm pretty sure that what you did wasn't a felony or even a crime today. You are licensed. The penalty for not having your license with you was even removed (think it used to be a class B). Could it have been a longer ordeal than necessary had you been stopped until you could prove your ID? Sure.
Last edited by artx on Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

It's gonna take a whole lotta sign real-estate to keep all hand guns out.. I wonder if 30.06 will only disallow licensed carriers from an establishment.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 4

Post by G.A. Heath »

Flightmare wrote:My interpretation is that 30.08 signs will be added to restrict unlicensed carry.
You are correct if what I was sent is accurate, which seems to be supported by the Press Release. The language used in what I was sent is
"Pursuant to Section 30.08, Penal Code (trespass by person not licensed to carry handgun), a person who does not hold a license to carry a handgun may not enter this property with a handgun"
Last edited by G.A. Heath on Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

artx

Post by artx »

Jusme wrote: One question, will the removal of TABC blue sign restrictions, also apply to the carry of long guns? Not that I plan on walking into convenience stores and restaurants with a slung AR, but folding rifles and compact SBRs could be carried in backpacks and briefcases.
Pretty sure that even though the TABC signs say unlicensed possession is prohibited, the statute only applies to handguns. Search this site, it has been talked about quite a bit. I think this is legal today.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Wonder what the odds are on passing 1911.?
Hard to imagine a better Bill number for this Bill. :thumbs2:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”