HB1911: Rep. White's Press Release

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

apvonkanel
Posts in topic: 1

Re: HB1911: Rep. White's Press Release

Post by apvonkanel »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:
G.A. Heath wrote:
Flightmare wrote:My interpretation is that 30.08 signs will be added to restrict unlicensed carry.
You are correct if what I was sent is accurate, which seems to be supported by the Press Release. The language used in what I was sent is
"Pursuant to Section 30.08, Penal Code (trespass by person not licensed to carry handgun), a person who does not hold a license to carry a handgun may not enter this property with a handgun"
So if this passes, and a business with both a 30.06 and 30.07 sign doesn't put up the new 30.08 signs, only unlicensed people will be able to carry there.
If a new section 30.08 is included in a committee substitute, this is correct.

Chas.
So, if this passes and I see an '06 & '07 sign but no '08, I can leave my license in the car instead of my sidearm?
In the Navy I learned to love the Mossberg 590A1 and hate the Beretta M9

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

If this passes, I may have to get my official mall ninja "LTC holder" badge. :biggrinjester:

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:Wonder what the odds are on passing 1911.?
Hard to imagine a better Bill number for this Bill. :thumbs2:
They used that Bill number to force me to get on board! :biggrinjester:

Chas.
9?..... Nope
38? ... Nope
357?....... ..... Nah... not quite right.
44?.... Doesn't cut it without the "Magnum".
1911?.... BINGO!

:biggrinjester:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 10

Post by NotRPB »

Russell wrote:
NotRPB wrote:
Russell wrote:http://www.texas3008.com

:)

Namecheap screwed up the domain forwarding. It's fixed now and should just forward to the texas3006 site.

They have a nice slider to "Disable Parking Page" that does absolutely nothing. Their response: "We are aware of it and are working on fixing it."
Works great now

Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lynyrd »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:
So if this passes, and a business with both a 30.06 and 30.07 sign doesn't put up the new 30.08 signs, only unlicensed people will be able to carry there.

Chas.
I can just imagine how the media will butcher their reports on this if it passes. :roll: Business owners who don't have an LTC and aren't read up on the laws are going to be confused as all get out. There's no telling what kind of signs we will see. I'll bet you somewhere there is a sign company lobbying for this to pass. :lol:
Do what you say you're gonna do.

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

How about generic "No Guns" or gunbuster signs for restricting unlicensed carry. Just like today for long guns. Then it will be less likely to result in more businesses restricting LTC persons. I don't think we need a section 30.08 or any change to 30.06/.07.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:
G.A. Heath wrote:
Flightmare wrote:My interpretation is that 30.08 signs will be added to restrict unlicensed carry.
You are correct if what I was sent is accurate, which seems to be supported by the Press Release. The language used in what I was sent is
"Pursuant to Section 30.08, Penal Code (trespass by person not licensed to carry handgun), a person who does not hold a license to carry a handgun may not enter this property with a handgun"

Chas.
I wonder if we could get a requirement for a 30.08 sign for unlicensed concealed carry & a 30.09 sign for unlicensed open carry? :biggrinjester:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Pawpaw wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:
G.A. Heath wrote:

Chas.
I wonder if we could get a requirement for a 30.08 sign for unlicensed concealed carry & a 30.09 sign for unlicensed open carry? :biggrinjester:
I like this idea. In English and Spanish with a requirement for 2 inch high block letters, and an unobstructed view of the entire sign(s) which must be posted between 3-6 feet from the ground and no more than 4 feet from each entrance to the premises.

Can we also add an amendment that "no guns", "no cops", "no fat chicks", etc., signs do not trigger potential trespass charges under 30.05? Maybe just leave in "no politicians" signs as instantly triggering criminal trespass punishable by no less than 15 years of hard labor.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Yeah, if I had my choice in the matter, '06 would change to apply only to unlicensed CC, and '07 would change to apply only to unlicensed OC. And then no sign would have the force of law for LTC holders. :evil2:

But I don't always get my way...
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

Vol Texan wrote:Yeah, if I had my choice in the matter, '06 would change to apply only to unlicensed CC, and '07 would change to apply only to unlicensed OC. And then no sign would have the force of law for LTC holders. :evil2:

But I don't always get my way...
OOOOHHHHH I love that as a Committee Substitute ... a little crossing out here, add some language there ...

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

Pawpaw wrote:I wonder if we could get a requirement for a 30.08 sign for unlicensed concealed carry & a 30.09 sign for unlicensed open carry? :biggrinjester:
How about 30.10 for concealed longarms and 30.30 for open carry rifles?
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

Lynyrd wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:

Chas.
I can just imagine how the media will butcher their reports on this if it passes. :roll: Business owners who don't have an LTC and aren't read up on the laws are going to be confused as all get out. There's no telling what kind of signs we will see. I'll bet you somewhere there is a sign company lobbying for this to pass. :lol:
You reckon a feller could make a few bucks selling new signs with inconspicuous errors?

What do you expect when you buy from the lowest bidder? :evil2:
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

apvonkanel wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:
G.A. Heath wrote:

Chas.
So, if this passes and I see an '06 & '07 sign but no '08, I can leave my license in the car instead of my sidearm?
No.

Chas.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I should note that HB1911 is in a "fluid state" so don't put too much time in trying to figure out what life will be like with any specific sign provisions. Things can change as quickly as Houston's weather.

Chas.

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”