HB1911: Rep. White's Press Release

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 12

Re: HB1911: Rep. White's Press Release

Post by locke_n_load »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Ruark wrote:
allisji wrote:
Ruark wrote:Wait a minute..... We're talking about 30.08 signs... But virtually every store in Texas already has that sign saying it's a felony to enter with an unlicensed handgun. You've seen it; there must be a million of them. So all of those will have to be removed? Ignored? It'll take years to re-educate all the store owners. Messy.
The law as indicated in the original post would get rid of the TABC blue signs. They would become obsolete
Are you talking about this sign? This is the one I'm referring to. Probably 90% of the public stores in Texas have these posted somewhere, certainly every convenience store, gas station, etc.
nogunsign.JPG
That sign is required if a business sells alcohol. If 90% of the businesses you enter have this sign, then I'm guessing you tend to go places that sell alcohol. And yes, this is the sign that would become obsolete.

Absent a 30.08 sign, then carrying a gun (without a license) past a "gun buster" sign would be a class A misdemeanor in the same way that an overweight woman who gets in a car that has a "no fat chicks" bumper sticker also commits a class A misdemeanor today. Or a sales person who walks through a gate that has a "no solicitors" sign. These unlicensed gun carriers will be joining these other types of folks in "taking the ride", and being prosecuted.
30.08 got removed. So did changing 06/07 to apply to non license holders. The way I heard it, the current version makes a gun buster a no trespass sign for non license carriers. And if they did not amend 30.05, it would be a class A misdemeanor to carry past sans license.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 8

Post by treadlightly »

Fortunately, if you have any business carrying a gun you can get the license. I'm not saying I like licensing a civil right, but if the unlicensed carry laws aren't perfect the first go-round, it's not as big a tragedy as backsliding on licensed carry laws would be.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

.... aaand this is why I will maintain my license ....
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

tx85

Post by tx85 »

Here's the details that were mentioned during the hearing when the committee passed CS HB1911:

1. Same eligibility requirements for unlicensed carry as licensed carry (21 years, certain misdemeanors disqualify, etc)
2. No impact on Campus Carry (still requires license)
3. Churches no longer prohibited, but can post signs like private businesses
4. Belt/shoulder holster requirement for Open Carry removed (still requires holster, but doesn't specify a particular type)

Hopefully the opponents of this bill will be as ineffective as they were at stopping licensed Open Carry last session.

http://www.reporternews.com/story/news/ ... 100671132/
Before the bill is ready for a floor vote, White said he hopes to meet with some of the law enforcement organizations that have signed up to oppose it, including the police unions of Dallas and Houston and the Combined Law Enforcement Associations of Texas.

A CLEAT representative said Wednesday that the statewide police union remains opposed.

roadkill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by roadkill »

Does #3 with the churches remove it from the upgraded class A and make it a class C? As it stands now they must post.

tx85

Post by tx85 »

roadkill wrote:Does #3 with the churches remove it from the upgraded class A and make it a class C? As it stands now they must post.
Don't know, we'll have to wait until the text is released.

The chairman did say during the hearing that it's going to take longer than usual to get the committee report out for HB1911 because there were so many witnesses and they want to make sure there aren't any mistakes in the report that would leave the bill susceptible to a POO (Point of Order) when it hits the House floor.

I think it was last session that a gun bill (campus carry?) was temporarily derailed by Democrats after they raised a POO regarding a witness list mistake. The bill had to go back to committee to get the report fixed before it could return to the House floor.

LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LSUTiger »

Before the bill is ready for a floor vote, White said he hopes to meet with some of the law enforcement organizations that have signed up to oppose it, including the police unions of Dallas and Houston and the Combined Law Enforcement Associations of Texas.

A CLEAT representative said Wednesday that the statewide police union remains opposed.
[/quote]

In general that's why I'm not really a fan of the "it's ok for me but not for you" folks.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

LSUTiger wrote:

In general that's why I'm not really a fan of the "it's ok for me but not for you" folks.
The police unions don't support it which probably means most of the LEO's belonging to those unions do support it. All unions need to die, but especially those whose members are paid by the taxpayers.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Papa_Tiger »

Russell wrote:It's my understanding that the police unions and groups have consistently responded in a manner similar to:

* Concealed carry introduced in Texas - PANIC! Blood in the streets! We won't know who the bad guys and good guys are!
- Nothing more than FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt)

* Motorist Protection Act introduced in Texas - PANIC! Wild west shoot outs over parking spaces! We can't trust the public!!!
- Billy the kid hasn't yet gone a rampage on 99. Smooth sailing...

* Open Carry introduced in Texas - PANIC! We won't know who the bad guys and good guys are! Officers will pay the ultimate price!!
- No deaths caused by openly carrying. How strange....

So far they are 0 for 3. How long will the legislature continue to entertain their blustering and nonsense on every single 2a-friendly bill?

It's about time they take a look at themselves in the mirror and realize they are consistently on the wrong side of the argument.
:iagree:
Same with MDA (which is NOT an anti-gun organization :roll: ), Everytown for Gun Safety, Raul Camacho...

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ninjabread »

After 9/11 and other terrorist attacks, many people asked where are the Good Muslims speaking out against the Islamo-terrorists.

When law enforcement organizations work to deny the civil rights of US citizens, is it fair to ask where are all the Good Cops speaking out against domestic enemies of the Bill of Rights?
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Ruark
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Ruark »

I'm not sure this will all work. There's already way too much confusion and ignorance of what 06 ad 07 signs are and what they mean. Now add gunbuster signs on top of that, for yet another meaning... it's just going to be a big mess.
-Ruark

Lambda Force
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Lambda Force »

The only confusion I have is what's in CSHB1911. The text still hasn't been posted. Is this one of those bills we have to pass to find out what's in it? :confused5
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Papa_Tiger »

Lambda Force wrote:The only confusion I have is what's in CSHB1911. The text still hasn't been posted. Is this one of those bills we have to pass to find out what's in it? :confused5
No, the final text of the committee substitute will be available online before it ever makes it to the house floor for its second reading or a vote. According to one article I read, they are being extra careful about preparing the committee report to avoid a point of order being raised on the house floor and derailing the bill as happened last session with campus carry. In politics and law, patience is a virtue.

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”