SB 88- Making red light camera tickets illegal

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Rex B
Posts in topic: 3

Re: SB 88- Making red light camera tickets illegal

Post by Rex B »

As much as I hate red-light runners, I sure hope this law passes. The cities are out-sourcing law enforcement to private companies. If they have a public safety issue to address, they need to do the job themselves.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

apvonkanel
Posts in topic: 7

Post by apvonkanel »

Also, they were already ruled unconstitutional by the city of Houston. Due to the contract the city of Houston had with owners of the cameras they weren't able to take them down. Increased police force if you want greater safety, but red-light cameras completely bypass the entire legal system.
In the Navy I learned to love the Mossberg 590A1 and hate the Beretta M9

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

I'd rather see police monitor red lights with the same resolve that they use for running radar/Lidar. But it's not as fun, and the stops are more difficult due to cross-traffic.
My personal, non-statistical observation: On surface streets almost all the accidents are due to red light runners or other failures to yield, far fewer due to excessive speed. Enforce for safety, not revenue.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Jeff B.
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jeff B. »

Not a fan either. There was an uproar here when cameras went up, then the Town responded that they were only to monitor traffic conditions and events at intersections and that they didn't have the resolution to be used as red light cameras. So, the uproar was short lived, but the cameras are now in place. Sometimes I wonder if it's simply getting us used to them and the accompanying surveillance.

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

Jeff B. wrote:Not a fan either. There was an uproar here when cameras went up, then the Town responded that they were only to monitor traffic conditions and events at intersections and that they didn't have the resolution to be used as red light cameras. So, the uproar was short lived, but the cameras are now in place. Sometimes I wonder if it's simply getting us used to them and the accompanying surveillance.
Call them on it. Request that the cameras be opened to public access so citizens can check traffic conditions and plan their local trips accordingly.
-----------

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Posted below is an article about the City of Dallas and "short yellow" red-light cameras, from about a decade ago, though things haven't changed much in that time. Though the state has minimum times for yellow lights based on posted speeds and testing, the yellow light times at intersections with red-light cameras are often below the state minimums. Also, no human being can have the reflexes of a computer. As so many have said already, those cameras are NOT about safety, they are about revenue generation.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/20/2068.asp

doncb

Post by doncb »

Generally, a LEO reviews the images / video to determine if a violation has occurred. I'll bet the marginal ones are not cited.
You do have due process in that you can contest the citation. The citation includes images. There is video which is where the images come from. The flash you see is for the camera taking a picture of the rear license plate.
The citation is sent to the registered owner of the car. If you loan your car to a friend and they run a red light, tell them they owe you the cost of the ticket and a $25 handling charge. Beyond that, don't loan your frickin car out.
By Texas law, a city can receive no more than 25% of the fine.
It's called paying attention and being aware of what is going on around you. If the light has been red for 2 or 3 seconds and you blow through you have no excuse.
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

doncb wrote:It's called paying attention and being aware of what is going on around you. If the light has been red for 2 or 3 seconds and you blow through you have no excuse.
Horse hockey. I drive a 7,000 lb. diesel pickup. From 40 or 45 mph, safely stopping within 2 or 3 seconds might be possible on an absolutely perfect road surface. It ain't gonna happen on anything less that perfect conditions.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

baseballguy2001
Posts in topic: 4

Post by baseballguy2001 »

In my town the voters got a chance to vote to keep or reject them. It also happened the then current Mayor was running for re-election and running a very pro red light camera campaign. He and the cameras were soundly beaten by a 70-30 margin. If the politicians let the voters decide, it would be a bloodbath.
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

Jeff B. wrote:Not a fan either. There was an uproar here when cameras went up, then the Town responded that they were only to monitor traffic conditions and events at intersections and that they didn't have the resolution to be used as red light cameras. So, the uproar was short lived, but the cameras are now in place. Sometimes I wonder if it's simply getting us used to them and the accompanying surveillance.

Jeff B.
The ones that were at every intersection in every direction? Those replaced the induction loops that used to be embedded in the pavement to sense the presence of cars at intersections. They seem to work well enough but for whatever reason when they reconfigured 1171 @ Timbercreek and 1171 @ Kirkpatrick a few months ago they removed the camera sensors and went back to old school timers. Very frustrating. In fact the college boy FM has in charge of traffic control devices peeves me on a near daily basis.

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

Pawpaw wrote:
doncb wrote:It's called paying attention and being aware of what is going on around you. If the light has been red for 2 or 3 seconds and you blow through you have no excuse.
Horse hockey. I drive a 7,000 lb. diesel pickup. From 40 or 45 mph, safely stopping within 2 or 3 seconds might be possible on an absolutely perfect road surface. It ain't gonna happen on anything less that perfect conditions.
You need to slow down.

4copas

Post by 4copas »

Pawpaw wrote:
:cheers2: Nailed it again Pawpaw, intersection lights can be configured for best safety where they are located for prevention of accidents. This is what should be done. The sad thing is, they can also be configured with the ridiculous camera to get the pay day, NOT SAFETY. These cameras need to be gone, period.
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. John Wayne
NRA Life Member :patriot: :txflag:

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

warnmar10 wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
You need to slow down.
That's rich. I gave up speeding many years ago. I'm the guy everyone else gets irritated at because I drive the speed limit or less.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Pawpaw wrote:Red light cameras have absolutely no safety value. They're all about revenue generation.
:iagree:
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

cowhow
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cowhow »

Red light runners do present a danger, but red light cameras aren't the answer. Changing driver's attitude is. Green means go, red means stop...not speed up.

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”