SB 88- Making red light camera tickets illegal

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

apvonkanel
Posts in topic: 7

Re: SB 88- Making red light camera tickets illegal

Post by apvonkanel »

OldCurlyWolf wrote: Unless policy has changed, which is possible, Pasadena teaches in their academy that if the front bumper "Breaks the Plane of the intersection" before the light turns red, you have not run the red light.

In case you are wondering, BTDT with PPD. Former LEO. Many years ago.
That's right, Pasadena is front bumper. I guess I don't remember which PD teaches "majority of the vehicle", but I remember thinking that it was a little foolish because it's so subjective.
In the Navy I learned to love the Mossberg 590A1 and hate the Beretta M9

extremist
Posts in topic: 1

Post by extremist »

Pawpaw wrote:Red light cameras have absolutely no safety value. They're all about revenue generation.
Correct sir!
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

apvonkanel wrote:
OldCurlyWolf wrote: Unless policy has changed, which is possible, Pasadena teaches in their academy that if the front bumper "Breaks the Plane of the intersection" before the light turns red, you have not run the red light.

In case you are wondering, BTDT with PPD. Former LEO. Many years ago.
That's right, Pasadena is front bumper. I guess I don't remember which PD teaches "majority of the vehicle", but I remember thinking that it was a little foolish because it's so subjective.
I was always taught that it was legal to continue IF when the light turned red, had the car stopped, an officer could legally write the driver a ticket for failure to stop at the proper place. In other words, you can't have it both ways - the driver either must stop or is allowed to continue at the same point. And the ticket for failure to stop at the proper place has always been if any part of the vehicle is beyond the stop line if there is one or in the crosswalk or intersection if there is no stop line. This always seemed sensible to me.

If Deer Park is using a different standard, I would love to ask the officer this type of question on the stand.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
TVGuy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TVGuy »

I've always heard that you must have passed/crossed the threshold at the time the light turns red.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I've always heard you have to be through it before the light turns red...
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ScottDLS »

ScottDLS <----- Still trying to figure out if right on red is legal from the outside turning lane.... :???:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

ScottDLS wrote:ScottDLS <----- Still trying to figure out if right on red is legal from the outside turning lane.... :???:
If'n there ain't no sign sayin' it ain't agin the law it's ok so long as yer stoppin' first.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

jailbird wrote:got a ticket for failure to stop because they claim I wasn't completely stopped for a full 2 seconds.

Yes, I realize technically I did break the law by not stopping for a full 2 seconds before turning, but it was completely safe, nobody was in any harm in any way, it was just a monkey grab.
If I may ask, where are you getting a requirement for "2 second stop"?

The relevant Tc belose makes no mentions of a stop time..

Just like it make no reference to a motorcyclists having to put a foot down for a stop to be considered a stop.

If you know of a part of the code that specifics you must be stopped for 2 seconds, please cite it...so i can get edumacated :mrgreen:

Texas Transportation Code § 544.007. Traffic-Control Signals in General

(a) A traffic-control signal displaying different colored lights or colored lighted arrows successively or in combination may display only green, yellow, or red and applies to operators of vehicles as provided by this section.
(b) An operator of a vehicle facing a circular green signal may proceed straight or turn right or left unless a sign prohibits the turn.  The operator shall yield the right-of-way to other vehicles and to pedestrians lawfully in the intersection or an adjacent crosswalk when the signal is exhibited.
(c) An operator of a vehicle facing a green arrow signal, displayed alone or with another signal, may cautiously enter the intersection to move in the direction permitted by the arrow or other indication shown simultaneously.  The operator shall yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian lawfully in an adjacent crosswalk and other traffic lawfully using the intersection.
(d) An operator of a vehicle facing only a steady red signal shall stop at a clearly marked stop line.  In the absence of a stop line, the operator shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection.  A vehicle that is not turning shall remain standing until an indication to proceed is shown.  After stopping, standing until the intersection may be entered safely, and yielding right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully in an adjacent crosswalk and other traffic lawfully using the intersection, the operator may:
(1) turn right;  or
(2) turn left, if the intersecting streets are both one-way streets and a left turn is permissible.
(e) An operator of a vehicle facing a steady yellow signal is warned by that signal that:
(1) movement authorized by a green signal is being terminated;  or
(2) a red signal is to be given.
(f) The Texas Transportation Commission, a municipal authority, or the commissioners court of a county may prohibit within the entity's jurisdiction a turn by an operator of a vehicle facing a steady red signal by posting notice at the intersection that the turn is prohibited.
(g) This section applies to an official traffic-control signal placed and maintained at a place other than an intersection, except for a provision that by its nature cannot apply.  A required stop shall be made at a sign or marking on the pavement indicating where the stop shall be made.  In the absence of such a sign or marking, the stop shall be made at the signal.
(h) The obligations imposed by this section apply to an operator of a streetcar in the same manner they apply to the operator of a vehicle.
(i) An operator of a vehicle facing a traffic-control signal, other than a freeway entrance ramp control signal or a pedestrian hybrid beacon, that does not display an indication in any of the signal heads shall stop as provided by Section 544.010 as if the intersection had a stop sign.
(j) In this section:
(1) “Freeway entrance ramp control signal” means a traffic-control signal that controls the flow of traffic entering a freeway.
(2) “Pedestrian hybrid beacon” means a pedestrian-controlled traffic-control signal that displays different colored lights successively only when activated by a pedestrian.
- See more at: http://codes.findlaw.com/tx/transportat ... xwHEW.dpuf
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”