What is status Restoration of Gun Rights in Austin?

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 3

Re: What is status Restoration of Gun Rights in Austin?

Post by NotRPB »

HB1911 Committee Substitute (removes Belt/Shoulder holster requirement ... etc etc so that Ankle/thigh Holsters, Swimsuit holsters, Bra Holsters, Corset Holsters etc etc are ok too ) in House Cmtee now http://tlchouse.granicus.com/MediaPlaye ... nt_id=3051
About to vote on it

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

NotRPB wrote:HB1911 Committee Substitute (removes Belt/Shoulder holster requirement ... etc etc so that Ankle/thigh Holsters, Swimsuit holsters, Bra Holsters, Corset Holsters etc etc are ok too ) in House Cmtee now http://tlchouse.granicus.com/MediaPlaye ... nt_id=3051
About to vote on it
Reported favorably as substituted
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TreyHouston »

:thewave Passed out of committee. Going to gonfor full vote. "Many republicans believe 1911 is not enough" don't get me started.. :grumble
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 4

Post by bblhd672 »

Alice Tripp sure seems to hold Terry Holcomb and Open Carry Texas in high regard.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

bblhd672 wrote:Alice Tripp sure seems to hold Terry Holcomb and Open Carry Texas in high regard.
It's pretty clear that OCT's agenda is progressing more quickly than TSRA's or the concealed carry community's agenda. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Maybe we just aren't loud enough.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Papa_Tiger »

Liberty wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:Alice Tripp sure seems to hold Terry Holcomb and Open Carry Texas in high regard.
It's pretty clear that OCT's agenda is progressing more quickly than TSRA's or the concealed carry community's agenda. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Maybe we just aren't loud enough.
Keep in mind, the Stickland/OCT bill, HB 375 was left pending in committee. With the passage of HB1911 out of committee, based on my previous interpretation of situations where there are competing bills, this pretty much means that HB375 is dead. It was stated during testimony by the Republican Party chair of Travis County that so-called "Constitutional Carry" was one of the highest priority planks in the Republican Party platform in 2016. So that means there is a will of the people behind it that many politicians will understand.

Back to the original topic, here is where I see the status of the Restoration of Gun Rights in Austin in the 85th Legislature based on the Bill Status Report and impressions from hearing testimony etc:

HB14: Clarification of Mental Hospital Carry - Very good chance of passing this session.

HB421: Place of Worship volunteer Security - Very good chance of passing this session.

HB1819: Suppressor legalization if removed from NFA - Very good chance of passing this session.

HB1911: A.K.A. "Constitutional Carry" - Reported favorably out of house committee. If this can get time on the floor of the House, I think it will pass there and then move on to the Senate where it will likely pass, possibly with some modifications, forcing a conference committee and ultimate passage by Governor Abbot.

SB16: Reduction in LTC Fees - Good chance of passing this session as a similar bill is being considered by the House and has made its way to the Calendar's Committee.

SB263: No caliber requirement for LTC qualification test - Very good chance of passing this session as it has made its way out of the Senate and is currently referred tot the House Homeland Security and Public Safety committee where it should find a receptive audience.

SB1934: Preempts home owners’ associations from regulating firearms or lawful discharge of firearms. - Decent chance of passing. Any reduction of HOA authority is welcome.

There is still a significant amount of time left in this session, so we may see significant movement as usual towards the end of the session. To date, no bill has currently passed both the House and Senate, not even the budget so it is premature to start saying signature bills are dead. I agree that it will be a disappointing session if all we get is no caliber requirement for the LTC qualification test, a reduction in LTC fees and permission to organize volunteer security teams at houses of worship, but I'm hopeful there will be additional goodness if HB1911 can get past the calendar's committee to the floor of the House.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

Thats a great update!!! Thanks!!!!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

Keep in mind I could be completely wrong about all of the above. I'm not as experienced politically as Charles and others and I am probably premature in my assessment. We'll see what comes out of the sausage grinder at the end of the session.

"Politics is the art of the possible." - Otto von Bismarck

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

SB 1736
Senate Committee Report
Author: Hughes
Coauthor: Hall
Caption Text: Relating to the liability of a person who allows handguns to be carried on property owned, controlled, or managed by the person.
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... ill=SB1736
COMMITTEE SUBSTITUTE acceptable to the Author
NOW on Senate Floor

22 Ayes 9 Nays passes to Engrossment (so Stay tuned for tomorrow)
... that was fast
ok it is tomorrow now
22 Ayes 8 Nays
Bill finally passed

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... ill=SB1736
S Reported engrossed 04/20/2017
S Record vote 04/20/2017
S Passed 04/20/2017
S Read 3rd time 04/20/2017
S Record vote 04/20/2017
S Three day rule suspended 04/20/2017

S Record vote 04/20/2017
S Passed to engrossment as amended 04/20/2017
S Record vote 04/20/2017
S Amended 04/20/2017
S Amendment(s) offered 04/20/2017
S Read 2nd time 04/20/2017
S Rules suspended-Regular order of business 04/20/2017
S Co-author authorized 04/20/2017
S Placed on intent calendar 04/19/2017
HB 497 Degree of Association: Identical was identical, but floor substitute taken as an Amendment on the above Senate bill now
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... Bill=HB497
Author: Rinaldi
Last Action: 03/28/2017 H Left pending in committee
Relating to the liability of a business that allows handguns to be carried on the business's premises.

HB497 left in Committee ... see author list
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... Bill=HB497
Primary Author Date Filed
Rinaldi 12/05/2016
Joint Authors Date Signed On
Guillen 02/15/2017
Schofield 02/15/2017
Coauthors (15)

tx85
Posts in topic: 6

Post by tx85 »

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... &Bill=SB16

SB16 passed out of the House Homeland Security & Public Safety Committee today.

Next steps: House Calendars Committee, House floor vote and (assuming no changes are made): the governor's desk.

It's unfortunate that this bill doesn't completely eliminate the fee (like the originally filed version of the bill did), but a reduction from $140 to $40 is still a huge improvement. I wouldn't be surprised if by next session the number of active licenses has increased by 25%. That means more people with an incentive to lobby the legislature to eliminate gun free zones.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

tx85 wrote:http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... &Bill=SB16

SB16 passed out of the House Homeland Security & Public Safety Committee today.

Next steps: House Calendars Committee, House floor vote and (assuming no changes are made): the governor's desk.

It's unfortunate that this bill doesn't completely eliminate the fee (like the originally filed version of the bill did), but a reduction from $140 to $40 is still a huge improvement. I wouldn't be surprised if by next session the number of active licenses has increased by 25%. That means more people with an incentive to lobby the legislature to eliminate gun free zones.
If HB1911 passes, then I bet your 25% number is a lot lower...
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

tx85
Posts in topic: 6

Post by tx85 »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:If HB1911 passes, then I bet your 25% number is a lot lower...
True, but it's still going to be an increase, albeit a modest one.

On this subject, btw, the fiscal impact analysis for HB1911 is completely ludicrous:
This analysis assumes that the number of original and renewal LTC applications would decline by 90 percent beginning in fiscal year 2018.

The Comptroller of Public Accounts estimates a revenue loss of $22.0 million in fiscal year 2018 and $16.5 million in fiscal year 2019 to General Revenue Fund 01.
This is contrary to the experiences of other states that have passed permitless carry (they've seen an increase in people getting permits) and I believe Alice and/or Tara mentioned this in their testimony on HB1911.

It's guaranteed that Democrats will be using this fiscal note for everything it's worth ("the unbiased fiscal analysis says the state is going to lose millions of dollars!"). Just like they did last session, with the ludicrous claim that Campus Carry was going to cost $47 million.

Captain Matt

Post by Captain Matt »

If HB 560 doesn't pass, I probably won't renew my TX LTC no matter what happens with HB 1911.
"hic sunt dracones"

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

Captain Matt wrote:If HB 560 doesn't pass, I probably won't renew my TX LTC no matter what happens with HB 1911.
Then you'd better start getting ready to give it up. Charles has already told us 560 is dead.

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic. ... 0#p1143500
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

Captain Matt wrote:If HB 560 doesn't pass, I probably won't renew my TX LTC no matter what happens with HB 1911.
that is like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

"I don't like that I can't carry more places, so I'll give up the ability to legally carry outside my car, home or property under my control."

:headscratch

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”