What is status Restoration of Gun Rights in Austin?

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

bigtek
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What is status Restoration of Gun Rights in Austin?

Post by bigtek »

Papa_Tiger wrote:"I don't like that I can't carry more places, so I'll give up the ability to legally carry outside my car, home or property under my control."
He can carry a rifle without a license and depending where he goes, it's a good possibility he'll have to disarm less often than a LTC carrying a handgun, thanks to the silly 46.035 restrictions.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

Captain Matt
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Captain Matt »

bigtek wrote:
Papa_Tiger wrote:"I don't like that I can't carry more places, so I'll give up the ability to legally carry outside my car, home or property under my control."
He can carry a rifle without a license and depending where he goes, it's a good possibility he'll have to disarm less often than a LTC carrying a handgun, thanks to the silly 46.035 restrictions.
Or I can pay my RKBA tax to another state and carry via reciprocity. Texas has done very little in the past twenty years to eliminate the places off limits to CHL/LTC. For example, as you mention, the insulting 46.035 restrictions that apply to me carrying a concealed G19 but not to OCT people carrying AKs. :roll:

Why keep paying Texas when the legislature keeps blocking real reform? My other license offers as much or more, and for less money.
"hic sunt dracones"

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Captain Matt wrote: Why keep paying Texas when the legislature keeps blocking real reform? My other license offers as much or more, and for less money.
because growing the number of LTCs sends a message to Austin (legislature). being invisible by virtue of reciprocity doesn't.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Captain Matt

Post by Captain Matt »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:
Captain Matt wrote: Why keep paying Texas when the legislature keeps blocking real reform?
because growing the number of LTCs sends a message to Austin (legislature).
Apparently the message is they can drag their heels on restoring gun rights and we're fool enough to keep voting for them and keep paying for an overpriced license.

Do as you please but I'm ready to send a different message.
"hic sunt dracones"

doncb

Post by doncb »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:
Captain Matt wrote: Why keep paying Texas when the legislature keeps blocking real reform? My other license offers as much or more, and for less money.
because growing the number of LTCs sends a message to Austin (legislature). being invisible by virtue of reciprocity doesn't.
We're invisible anyway. The number will not matter.

I was hoping that the number of places I could carry would be expanded this session. As it is now, I can carry only 2 days a week. Otherwise my gun has to stay locked in my car. Why bother.
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:
...oh and GFSZ thingy which may get you in a pickle with non-TX LTC.

But I agree with your overall sentiment.

Lambda Force

Post by Lambda Force »

bigtek wrote:
Maybe I'll start doing that if HB 560 doesn't pass. I'd rather continue to carry a handgun because its more convenient, but it seems the legislature wants me to carry a rifle instead. Why else would they keep those 46.035 infringements on the books?
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

tx85
Posts in topic: 6

Post by tx85 »

HB300 (house version of SB16) has been placed on the House floor calendar for 05/02/2017.
SB16 is in House Calendars Committee and has not been scheduled for the floor.

Am I correct in assuming that this means they're not going to schedule SB16 and instead try to force the Senate to pass HB300 instead? (so the House can take credit). That would be a pretty bold move, given that SB16 is one of the Lt. Governor's priority bills.

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Papa_Tiger »

tx85 wrote:HB300 (house version of SB16) has been placed on the House floor calendar for 05/02/2017.
SB16 is in House Calendars Committee and has not been scheduled for the floor.

Am I correct in assuming that this means they're not going to schedule SB16 and instead try to force the Senate to pass HB300 instead? (so the House can take credit). That would be a pretty bold move, given that SB16 is one of the Lt. Governor's priority bills.
Similar thing was done last session with Open and Concealed Carry. SB11 (Campus Carry) and SB17 (Open Carry) were both priority bills. HB910 (Open carry) and SB11 (Campus Carry) wound up being passed by both. SB17 wound up stuck in the House Homeland Security and Public Safety committee and HB937 (companion to Campus Carry, SB11) got stuck in House Calendars. Let us just hope that egos don't get in the way of passing good legislation.

If anything this should show you that the Speaker of the House has a TREMENDOUS amount of power since he is the one that appoints the Calendars committee.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Maybe the calendars appointment process should be modified, but, pigs will fly around the same time.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

tx85
Posts in topic: 6

Post by tx85 »

From TSRA:
On Tuesday, May 2, House Bill 300, TSRA-backed legislation sponsored by Rep. Phil King (R-Weatherford) that significantly reduces the cost of a License to Carry (LTC), is scheduled to be considered by the full Texas House of Representatives.

The identical Senate companion bill SB 16 is over and eligible for consideration in the House, so it will be substituted in for HB 300 on the House floor. This means that if the House approves the measure with no amendments, it will head to Governor Greg Abbott for his expected signature!

Let's get this done - please contact your State Representatives on Monday or Tuesday morning and urge them to "Support HB 300/SB 16 with no amendments" Add this language to your subject line.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

HB1819
Hearing Protection
on way to Senate
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... ill=HB1819
H Record vote 05/06/2017
H Passed 05/06/2017
H Read 3rd time 05/06/2017
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... 01819H.htm

Topic author
Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

It seems that some higher upper political rust/dust (your choice), decided to kill HB560 AND HB1911
Why having a supermajority when you cannot deliver? A question for the next TX election.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

apostate
Posts in topic: 2

Post by apostate »

Beiruty wrote:It seems that some higher upper political rust/dust (your choice), decided to kill HB560 AND HB1911
Why having a supermajority when you cannot deliver? A question for the next TX election.
The Republican majority will deliver everything that is important to the party leadership. Capisce?

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Beiruty wrote:It seems that some higher upper political rust/dust (your choice), decided to kill HB560 AND HB1911
HB1911 still has today and tomorrow to get the 2nd and 3rd reading, but I'm not holding my breath.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”