What is status Restoration of Gun Rights in Austin?

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 3

Re: What is status Restoration of Gun Rights in Austin?

Post by G.A. Heath »

tbrown wrote:Suppose somebody said they would hold their nose and try to not throw up when they bought a Chevy.

Suppose I suggested that if they're happy with their current Chevy, go ahead and buy another, but if they're not happy then why would they choose more of the same?

What would make you think I was angry when I gave that advice?

It's not personal. It's business.
I apologize for any confusion. I only quoted you so that I could expand upon your comment to others that are participating in this thread and others.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

:tiphat:
:cheers2:
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Lambda Force

Post by Lambda Force »

Captain Matt wrote:
bigtek wrote:
Papa_Tiger wrote:"I don't like that I can't carry more places, so I'll give up the ability to legally carry outside my car, home or property under my control."
He can carry a rifle without a license and depending where he goes, it's a good possibility he'll have to disarm less often than a LTC carrying a handgun, thanks to the silly 46.035 restrictions.
Or I can pay my RKBA tax to another state and carry via reciprocity. Texas has done very little in the past twenty years to eliminate the places off limits to CHL/LTC. For example, as you mention, the insulting 46.035 restrictions that apply to me carrying a concealed G19 but not to OCT people carrying AKs. :roll:

Why keep paying Texas when the legislature keeps blocking real reform? My other license offers as much or more, and for less money.
Thanks for the nudge. I mailed my nonresident application Tuesday and should have my new license in hand before my Texas CHL expires.
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

tx85
Posts in topic: 6

Post by tx85 »

HB1819 just passed the Senate and is off to the Governor's desk. This is the bill with a preemptive fix for suppressor possession/manufacture/etc in case the federal Hearing Protection Act passes.
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup ... ill=HB1819

While a decent bill, a better bill would have been to completely deregulate suppressors under state law like they just did in Tennessee. Or if that's a bridge too far for Texas Republicans, simply prohibit suppressor possession for anyone prohibited from possessing firearms.

Article: Signed by the Governor: Tennessee Decriminalizes Firearm “Silencers”
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (May 10, 2017) – Yesterday, Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam signed a bill into law decriminalizing the manufacture and possession of firearm suppressors in the state. The new law not only removes a layer of state regulation, it will help foster an environment hostile to federal gun control in Tennessee.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 9

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

tx85 wrote:HB1819 just passed the Senate and is off to the Governor's desk. This is the bill with a preemptive fix for suppressor possession/manufacture/etc in case the federal Hearing Protection Act passes.

While a decent bill, a better bill would have been to completely deregulate suppressors under state law like they just did in Tennessee. Or if that's a bridge too far for Texas Republicans, simply prohibit suppressor possession for anyone prohibited from possessing firearms.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (May 10, 2017) – Yesterday, Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam signed a bill into law decriminalizing the manufacture and possession of firearm suppressors in the state. The new law not only removes a layer of state regulation, it will help foster an environment hostile to federal gun control in Tennessee.
They aren't regulated in Texas. The law in Texas before this passage basically reinforced federal law stating that it had to be registered under the NFA. After this bill becomes law, the requirement will be to follow federal law. No registration, nothing past the normal FFL stuff unless I'm just missing something.

Besides, any hope I had for the HPA or Nat'l Reciprocity to pass at the federal level has pretty much evaporated.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:
tx85 wrote:HB1819 just passed the Senate and is off to the Governor's desk. This is the bill with a preemptive fix for suppressor possession/manufacture/etc in case the federal Hearing Protection Act passes.

They aren't regulated in Texas. The law in Texas before this passage basically reinforced federal law stating that it had to be registered under the NFA. After this bill becomes law, the requirement will be to follow federal law. No registration, nothing past the normal FFL stuff unless I'm just missing something.

Besides, any hope I had for the HPA or Nat'l Reciprocity to pass at the federal level has pretty much evaporated.
Texas Penal Code 46.05(a)(1)(D) lists silencers as prohibited weapons unless you have registered it properly under the NFA.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

G.A. Heath wrote:
TexasJohnBoy wrote:

Texas Penal Code 46.05(a)(1)(D) lists silencers as prohibited weapons unless you have registered it properly under the NFA.
And not having them registered under the NFA is a federal crime currently, so this is reinforcing federal law. My statement is that they are not regulated/registered/etc in Texas/by the state of Texas other than the Feds keeping tabs on you. And charging you $200 'cuz they can.

I guess that's still regulated in a general sense, but when I hear regulated I think more along the lines of a registry and being permitted to purchase it, which doesn't happen in TX currently. My words just dont serve me well this evening.

Granted I'm happy this passed because it will remove a "gotcha!" If the HPA passes, which again, I'm not holding my breath for that to make it through Washington.

tx85
Posts in topic: 6

Post by tx85 »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:And not having them registered under the NFA is a federal crime currently, so this is reinforcing federal law.
It's "reinforced" through a TX statute that creates a TX criminal offense for which one would be arrested by a TX LEO and tried in a TX court.

Bills like SB93 and HB131 are a joke all the while this TX statute exists. HB131 would create a new statute that claims firearms and suppressors wholly made within TX are not subject to federal laws, while leaving in place the existing TX statute that creates a criminal offense for not complying with federal law. :banghead:
I guess that's still regulated in a general sense, but when I hear regulated I think more along the lines of a registry and being permitted to purchase it
It's regulated in a technical sense, general sense and any other sense. Regulated does not imply nor require a registry, although I suspect Bloomberg gets all excited when he reads the 2nd Amendment and sees the "well-regulated" part (which of course doesn't mean regulated as in laws, but as in "a well-regulated clock", as explained in Heller).

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

tx85 wrote:
TexasJohnBoy wrote:And not having them registered under the NFA is a federal crime currently, so this is reinforcing federal law.
It's "reinforced" through a TX statute that creates a TX criminal offense for which one would be arrested by a TX LEO and tried in a TX court.

Bills like SB93 and HB131 are a joke all the while this TX statute exists. HB131 would create a new statute that claims firearms and suppressors wholly made within TX are not subject to federal laws, while leaving in place the existing TX statute that creates a criminal offense for not complying with federal law. :banghead:
I guess that's still regulated in a general sense, but when I hear regulated I think more along the lines of a registry and being permitted to purchase it
It's regulated in a technical sense, general sense and any other sense. Regulated does not imply nor require a registry, although I suspect Bloomberg gets all excited when he reads the 2nd Amendment and sees the "well-regulated" part (which of course doesn't mean regulated as in laws, but as in "a well-regulated clock", as explained in Heller).
Points taken. The bit about making it legal in TX, but then still being a crime because of fed laws is a good point. :tiphat:

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 2

Post by crazy2medic »

To quote one of the memes "I do not think this means what you think it means"
I would like to build a suppressor for my 17hmr, guess i'll keep waiting
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

roadkill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by roadkill »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:
tx85 wrote:

Points taken. The bit about making it legal in TX, but then still being a crime because of fed laws is a good point. :tiphat:
Something tells me that law would be enforced federally vs the marijuana laws that aren't

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

crazy2medic wrote:To quote one of the memes "I do not think this means what you think it means"
I would like to build a suppressor for my 17hmr, guess i'll keep waiting
Pay $200 bucks tax and register it. Or wait until the Federal government removes the NFA registration requirement (good luck).
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Uh No!
I'll just keep waiting
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Papa_Tiger »

SB263 - Removing the caliber restriction for the LTC test - Committee report filed with the Committee Coordinator
SB349 - Clarification of School Grounds - Committee report filed with the Committee Coordinator
SB14 - Mental Hospital Clarification - Recommended for local & uncontested calendar

While not sexy bills, these three are very good bills that will help advance gun rights in the future. If these three pass (particularly SB349) along with the suppressor de-regulation, I think this will be a decent session since SB16 has already passed and been sent to the Governor. There were a LOT of bad bills filed this session as well that were killed. Interesting to note that most of these bills originated in the Senate.

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”