HB1911 Com Substitute

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 22

Re: HB1911 Com Substitute

Post by locke_n_load »

Ruark wrote:
locke_n_load wrote: We know exactly who killed HB1911 - Phil King and Todd Hunter. King held it up from being voted out of committee, and Hunter never scheduled it for a vote on the house floor.
So..... are we saying King and Hunter are anti-gun, and killed it deliberately for this reason? Just trying to cut down to the basics here.
I know Hunter has a an "A" rating from the NRA, but his actions this session speak volumes in the other direction. I don't know if they are anti-gun, but probably more like RINOs.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 8

Post by bblhd672 »

The fix for this mess starts at the local level by all of us engaging our elected officials from now until the next legis session. Additionally, finding viable electable replacements for anyone who is reluctant about freeing Texans from the historical bindings of post-Civil War 1 politics.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Jusme
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Jusme »

I too am disappointed, I'm not sure where any of my reps, or the rest of the Republicans stand at this point. This whole session, has been so confusing.

Hopefully, Charles will be able to shed some light on this session.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Ruark wrote:
locke_n_load wrote: We know exactly who killed HB1911 - Phil King and Todd Hunter. King held it up from being voted out of committee, and Hunter never scheduled it for a vote on the house floor.
So..... are we saying King and Hunter are anti-gun, and killed it deliberately for this reason? Just trying to cut down to the basics here.
Absolutely not!!! There's much more at play here, including the ability of any member of the Calendars Committee to "tag" a bill and effectively kill it by delaying it for a period of time. There are five F-rated Democrats on Calendars.

Attacking friends for problems beyond their control is not helpful.

Chas.

parabelum
Posts in topic: 13

Post by parabelum »

I feel betrayed from all sides. Very disappointing.

poppo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by poppo »

So it's officially dead now, right?
USMC Retired - DAV Life Member - VFW Life Member - NRA Life Member

Ruark
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Ruark »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Ruark wrote:
Absolutely not!!! There's much more at play here, including the ability of any member of the Calendars Committee to "tag" a bill and effectively kill it by delaying it for a period of time. There are five F-rated Democrats on Calendars.

Chas.
Of course. Just trying to get some kind of a perception. Is it a simple matter of the Calendars Committee voting on whether or not to send a bill to the floor? I'm just speaking naively here, but is it a scenario, for example, where they decide which bills go to the floor, King and Hunter voted "aye" and the 5 F-rated Democrats outvoted them.... something like that? I would like to have a better understanding of the process by which a bill actually moves - or doesn't move - from Calendars to the floor. Obviously somebody did - or didn't - do something.
-Ruark

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by NotRPB »

I've wondered before why Calendars Cmtee isn't "televised" online as all the other committees are, because that ummm Transparency thingie you know ...

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Ruark wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Ruark wrote:

Chas.
Of course. Just trying to get some kind of a perception. Is it a simple matter of the Calendars Committee voting on whether or not to send a bill to the floor? I'm just speaking naively here, but is it a scenario, for example, where they decide which bills go to the floor, King and Hunter voted "aye" and the 5 F-rated Democrats outvoted them.... something like that? I would like to have a better understanding of the process by which a bill actually moves - or doesn't move - from Calendars to the floor. Obviously somebody did - or didn't - do something.
If the Bill were to come to a vote, then it would be on the Floor. The Calendars Committee makeup is A+ = 1, A = 8, A- = 1, F = 5. Any member can "tag" a bill meaning it won't be put to a vote. It's a control mechanism that should not exist.

Calendars should have to meet publicly including standard video. It is designed to be a private black hole and it is. That said, it often works in our favor.

Chas.

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Any member can "tag" a bill meaning it won't be put to a vote. It's a control mechanism that should not exist.Calendars should have to meet publicly including standard video. It is designed to be a private black hole and it is. That said, it often works in our favor.
How dismaying.... that, based on his or her personal preferences, one, single, unknown person can, in effect, negate the entire legislative process.
-Ruark

mdubtx
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mdubtx »

Thank You Charles for the explainations. I also asked in a separate thread about Hunter's A rating. An honest question as I am very new at following a legislative session. Continuing to learn - As I always will be. ;)
May we never haver to draw but always be prepared.
:patriot: :txflag:
NRA Benefactor Member / TSRA Family Membership

Topic author
locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Ruark wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Ruark wrote:

Chas.
If the Bill were to come to a vote, then it would be on the Floor. The Calendars Committee makeup is A+ = 1, A = 8, A- = 1, F = 5. Any member can "tag" a bill meaning it won't be put to a vote. It's a control mechanism that should not exist.

Calendars should have to meet publicly including standard video. It is designed to be a private black hole and it is. That said, it often works in our favor.

Chas.
A tag is only good for 24-72 hours correct? So if it got to calendars, with theoretically enough time, then those 5 F rated members of the committee could only delay it 15 days, right? Then I would also hold those responsible for delays on voting it out of committee to calendars responsible as well, and from what I have read, that was Phil King.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

-Ruark

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

locke_n_load wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Ruark wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Ruark wrote:

Chas.

Chas.
A tag is only good for 24-72 hours correct? So if it got to calendars, with theoretically enough time, then those 5 F rated members of the committee could only delay it 15 days, right? Then I would also hold those responsible for delays on voting it out of committee to calendars responsible as well, and from what I have read, that was Phil King.
Calendars does not meet every day, so even a tag was only for 24 - 72 hours, a single "tag" would last a week under a normal schedule. Also, you assume that each member can only tag a bill once.

Chas.

Topic author
locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Ruark wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Ruark wrote:

Chas.

Chas.
Calendars does not meet every day, so even a tag was only for 24 - 72 hours, a single "tag" would last a week under a normal schedule. Also, you assume that each member can only tag a bill once.

Chas.
Definitely sounds like a process change is desperately needed. Although I'm sure a bill for that could be tagged as well!
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”