HB1911 Com Substitute

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Re: HB1911 Com Substitute

Post by anygunanywhere »

If there was as much effort put forth into working with our friends in the legislature as there is in whining like spoiled children we might get somewhere.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 25

Post by ScottDLS »

Or if the legislature just left us alone without criminalizing constitutionally protected rights we wouldn't have to lobby them to let us do what we should already be allowed to do... :rules:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

gljjt
Posts in topic: 3

Post by gljjt »

If "if" and "buts" were candy and nuts, what a very, merry, Christmas it would be!

hovercat
Posts in topic: 1

Post by hovercat »

If my current representative cannot get what I need done, then I must seek another.
If we allow failure as an option, we will get failure.

apostate
Posts in topic: 4

Post by apostate »

hovercat wrote:If my current representative cannot get what I need done, then I must seek another.
That is as it should be with any employee.

tx85
Posts in topic: 14

Post by tx85 »

Conservative House members are planning to torpedo more than 100 bills today:
Earlier in the evening, members of the self-labeled Freedom Caucus signaled their intent to do damage with an impromptu news conference where they announced they would use a procedural maneuver to kill more than 100 bills set for Friday morning.

They said the time had come to strike back against House leaders after what they're calling a session of routine obstruction of key anti-abortion, 2nd Amendment and property rights bills.

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Papa_Tiger »

I can just about guarantee that if these Freedom Caucus members are around next session, they will feel the wrath of the House leadership and will have a hard time getting hearings on their bills in committee. Retribution, regardless of how it is veiled (opposing these bills on "policy") is not a great way to win friends, influence people and bring people around to your viewpoint.

thechl
Posts in topic: 6

Post by thechl »

but...but...we're still in session! No whining. Why can't we all just be friends?!? Kumbaya, and all that.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SewTexas »

I can't get the House video feed to load....
they managed to kill the Sunset bill last night
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

thechl wrote:but...but...we're still in session! No whining. Why can't we all just be friends?!? Kumbaya, and all that.
I don't care one whit about making friends or singing folk songs. I want to pass pro-gun legislation.

Chas.

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
thechl wrote:but...but...we're still in session! No whining. Why can't we all just be friends?!? Kumbaya, and all that.
I don't care one whit about making friends or singing folk songs. I want to pass pro-gun legislation.

Chas.
I agree. Sometimes you have to do things for no other reason than it is the right thing to do. I've always said tough times do NOT build character, they REVEAL character. Glad to see some character in the legislature.

ELB
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ELB »

tx85 wrote:Conservative House members are planning to torpedo more than 100 bills today:
Earlier in the evening, members of the self-labeled Freedom Caucus signaled their intent to do damage with an impromptu news conference where they announced they would use a procedural maneuver to kill more than 100 bills set for Friday morning.

They said the time had come to strike back against House leaders after what they're calling a session of routine obstruction of key anti-abortion, 2nd Amendment and property rights bills.
If I recall correctly, this is analagous to how Rick Perry got the legislatures attention when he was a brand-new governor. During his first legislative session as governor The legislature was giving short shrift to his priorities,so when the session was over he vetoed something like 80+ bills. Since the session was over there was no chance to override his vetoes.

Cooperation is good, but it has to be from both sides to be "cooperation." Sometimes you got to use a 2 x 4 to get somebody's attention.
USAF 1982-2005

parabelum
Posts in topic: 13

Post by parabelum »

To me, from my vantage point, it appears that "our" side is playing defense heavily right now.

It is beyond frustrating.

At the State level, we control everything from the Governor to the House and Senate chambers. Yet, the maggots on the other side have put "us" on the heavy defense spectrum level.

Imagine where this will go when Libs gain control. And they will, given the shift in demographics and influx of Libs from Lib States.

So, for me, that's the crux of the issue behind the frustration. I get the benefits of being a good statesman and such, but, the time window is getting very narrow, and we better get better at learning the game of offense, quickly.

We are getting played! :banghead:

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Beiruty »

parabelum wrote:To me, from my vantage point, it appears that "our" side is playing defense heavily right now.

It is beyond frustrating.

At the State level, we control everything from the Governor to the House and Senate chambers. Yet, the maggots on the other side have put "us" on the heavy defense spectrum level.

Imagine where this will go when Libs gain control. And they will, given the shift in demographics and influx of Libs from Lib States.

So, for me, that's the crux of the issue behind the frustration. I get the benefits of being a good statesman and such, but, the time window is getting very narrow, and we better get better at learning the game of offense, quickly.

We are getting played! :banghead:
:iagree:

The number of pro-gun bill is down is the diagnosis of the ailment in TX legis. What is the medicine?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

To those who say that we should not have wasted time fighting for Constitutional carry, may I ask one simple question?
When is it ever wrong to fight for the Constitution?
And don't even give me your answer to that question. Go to a veteran's cemetery and tell them why it's silly to fight for the Constitution.
I took an oath as a young man to defend the Constitution. I never asked to be relieved of that oath.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”