HB1911 Com Substitute

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

canvasbck
Posts in topic: 4

Re: HB1911 Com Substitute and HB560

Post by canvasbck »

tbrown wrote:
canvasbck wrote:If I were a betting man, I would bet on CSHB1911 dying in calendars. I think (at best) we will see church security teams and a reduction in LTC fees. This session will go down as one of the least productive in decades as it relates to expansion of 2a rights.

Supermajority my hind end........ :banghead:
You make the common mistake of thinking Republican = Pro Gun.

I suggest voting for or against the incumbents based on their votes in committee and on the floor, not the letter after their name on the ballot, and definitely not their sweet nothings. It's a little more work but the results just may be worth it.
But that is the problem. RINOs will vote "conservative" when legislation hits the floor. What they are expert at is killing bills quietly in committees where there are no recorded votes. A RINO can even vote for a bill in committee and make darn sure it stays in calendars where none of us will ever know exactly how it died.

HB560 is a prime example. No one can point to who killed that bill. There was no committee action on the bill after public hearing. Straus is an easy (and appropriate) target to blame, but it's not just him. Getting rid of "soft" supporters and closet antis/appeasers while not attacking our friends is virtually impossible unless you are privy to what's being said and done behind closed doors.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Re: HB1911 Com Substitute

Post by RossA »

Ruark wrote:
When is it ever wrong to fight for the Constitution?
This is an elegant statement, but one does not generate change and progress with such global, lofty sloganeering, no matter how "right" it is. You have to deal with reality and the real world, and how it works, not how you think it should be or how you think it should work. This constant, endless whining and trumpeting about "my sekkunt 'mendment rytes" is a good example. Everybody's heard it a million times; they're tired of hearing it and will shut down the minute they do. If you really want to be an effect change agent, revise your articulation.
To some, fighting for the Constitution amounts to mere "sloganeering." To those of us who have actually done it, it means so much more.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Papa_Tiger »

Fascinating read on some of what is going on in the Capitol this session:
http://politics.blog.mystatesman.com/2017/05/18/7829/

Yes it comes from the liberal rag of the Statesman, but there are some very interesting insights, particularly from the Mexican American Legislative Caucus and others.

You can bet that there will be changes in the way things are done next legislative session.

Topic author
locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 22

Post by locke_n_load »

Papa_Tiger wrote:Fascinating read on some of what is going on in the Capitol this session:

Yes it comes from the liberal rag of the Statesman, but there are some very interesting insights, particularly from the Mexican American Legislative Caucus and others.

You can bet that there will be changes in the way things are done next legislative session.
Wow. Good read. Really helps see the legislative process (or lack thereof).
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

mojo84
Posts in topic: 13

Post by mojo84 »

Papa_Tiger wrote:Fascinating read on some of what is going on in the Capitol this session:

I pray for changes in processes and procedures will be made. Whether the current lege is in session or not, the system is broke and needs fixin'. That's a fact regardless who's feelings it hurts.
Last edited by mojo84 on Fri May 19, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

mojo84 wrote:
I pray changes in processwe and procedures will be made. Whether the current leges is in session or not, the system is broke and needs fixin'. That's a fact regardless who's feelings it hurts.
:iagree:

I would have never, ever, voted for Abbott or Patrick if I had know this would be how things would turn out. And before your say this folks have no power let me remind you have two things.

#1> If the Governor says "I expect to see Constitutional Carry" on my desk this session it shines a bright spotlight on the Roach Rinos that they cannot escape by playing legislative games.

#2> The Lt. Gov. could very easily call a special session that focuses on on gun bills, if he weren't worrying about non issues.

The TxLeg this year was a joke. Plain and simple.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

steveincowtown wrote: #2> The Lt. Gov. could very easily call a special session that focuses on on gun bills, if he weren't worrying about non issues.

Only the Governor may call a special session.

Edit: to remove misleading quote attribution
Last edited by Flightmare on Fri May 19, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Flightmare wrote:
steveincowtown wrote:
#2> The Lt. Gov. could very easily call a special session that focuses on on gun bills, if he weren't worrying about non issues.

Correct. However, facts rarely get in the way when engaged in unfounded ranting.

Chas.

tbrown

Re: HB1911 Com Substitute and HB560

Post by tbrown »

canvasbck wrote:HB560 is a prime example. No one can point to who killed that bill. There was no committee action on the bill after public hearing. Straus is an easy (and appropriate) target to blame, but it's not just him. Getting rid of "soft" supporters and closet antis/appeasers while not attacking our friends is virtually impossible unless you are privy to what's being said and done behind closed doors.
We don't know what goes on in government meetings not subject to open records, but we do know who in the House signed on as co-authors and sponsors of HB 560. Signing on is no guarantee they're with us, but failure to sign is unequivocal.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

steveincowtown wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
I pray changes in processwe and procedures will be made. Whether the current leges is in session or not, the system is broke and needs fixin'. That's a fact regardless who's feelings it hurts.
:iagree:

I would have never, ever, voted for Abbott or Patrick if I had know this would be how things would turn out. And before your say this folks have no power let me remind you have two things.

#1> If the Governor says "I expect to see Constitutional Carry" on my desk this session it shines a bright spotlight on the Roach Rinos that they cannot escape by playing legislative games.

I think your ire is misdirected. The speaker of the house and his cronies are the bottleneck. The Governor and Lt. Gov. are good guys and on the right side of the large majority issues. This doesn't mean they will do everything the way each of us wants and we'll disagree with some of their positions but they are strong teammates.

It's the house leadership and his cronies that hurt conservative legislation.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Flightmare wrote:
steveincowtown wrote:

Correct. However, facts rarely get in the way when engaged in unfounded ranting.

Chas.
Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick threatened to push for a special legislative session to pass bills to regulate bathroom use for transgender Texans and set new thresholds for when cities and counties must get voter approval for tax rates.

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/05/17 ... dont-move/

Dan Patrick sure acts like he can.....
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

steveincowtown wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Flightmare wrote:
steveincowtown wrote:

Chas.
Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick threatened to push for a special legislative session to pass bills to regulate bathroom use for transgender Texans and set new thresholds for when cities and counties must get voter approval for tax rates.

There's a big difference between "push" for a special session and calling one.

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

mojo84 wrote:
steveincowtown wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Flightmare wrote:
steveincowtown wrote:

Chas.

Okey dokey....either way no one is "pushing" or "calling" for a special session to restore the gun rights they both seemed to represent when I pushed the button at election time. This Leg was a joke...and not a good one.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

steveincowtown wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
steveincowtown wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Flightmare wrote:
steveincowtown wrote:

Chas.

Okey dokey....either way no one is "pushing" or "calling" for a special session to restore the gun rights they both seemed to represent when I pushed the button at election time. This Leg was a joke...and not a good one.
You do realize there are many issues with many voters wanting their issues addressed, don't you? I too am very disappointed in this session but stomping ones feet and hurling incorrect accusations isn't going to help. There is still time for people to push for a special session and the Governor to call one. However, I doubt very seriously if one is going to be seriously pushed for or called for unlicensed carry. I just don't believe there is the political will and capital to do it this session and get it passed.

The answer is going to be getting real strong primary candidates to run and beat the RINOS.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Guys, please keep in mind there are still bills being discussed and there are antis that scan this forum looking for little tidbits that they can use to point out how rabid 2nd Amendment supporters are. Charles has pointed out there is alot going on that we may not know about. Now is DEFINITELY not the time to eat our own. Lets get thru this session, see where we stand, and go from there.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”