Rights for me but not for thee! HB 560 fading, HB 873 alive?

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

tx85
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Rights for me but not for thee! HB 560 fading, HB 873 alive?

Post by tx85 »

Don't California our gun laws! Exemptions and special privileges for LEOs (even when not on duty) is the defining characteristic of California's gun laws.

For instance, the vast majority of handgun models owned by Texans cannot legally be sold by an FFL to a non-LEO in California (this includes any new semi-auto handgun model launched after May 2013).

Man from Nantucket
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Man from Nantucket »

tx85 wrote:Don't California our gun laws! Exemptions and special privileges for LEOs (even when not on duty) is the defining characteristic of California's gun laws.
And Chicago.
And New York.
And Washington DC.

Do you really have that many carpetbaggers in the Texas legislature?

flechero

Post by flechero »

He then asked them why they were even carrying a gun, "Are you going to throw it at them?" This trooper was not happy. He went on to ask what they were going to do if they saw an LEO that needed help?
Be a good witness and call 911. That's what mere citizens are supposed to do, right? It's not a batman license, remember, officer?

Funny how they want you to be ready to jump in if THEY need the help...

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Man from Nantucket wrote:
tx85 wrote:Don't California our gun laws! Exemptions and special privileges for LEOs (even when not on duty) is the defining characteristic of California's gun laws.
And Chicago.
And New York.
And Washington DC.

Do you really have that many carpetbaggers in the Texas legislature?
And the United States... LEOSA

Rights for me, but not for thee. :evil2:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

1911 10MM

Post by 1911 10MM »

Don't urinate on my back and try to tell me it's raining!

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ninjabread »

flechero wrote:
He then asked them why they were even carrying a gun, "Are you going to throw it at them?" This trooper was not happy. He went on to ask what they were going to do if they saw an LEO that needed help?
Be a good witness and call 911. That's what mere citizens are supposed to do, right?
After hearing the anti gun half truths and outright lies from LE groups this legislative session, I will mind my own business if I see their members having a roadside disagreement with #BLM. I used to be pro law enforcement, but there's only so much "us versus them" rhetoric a man can take.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

This bill seems to be addressing a problem that doesn't exist. I've yet to be banned from carrying off-duty. Although I only carry concealed. The Texas Legislature should focus on extending the rights of the people and not the rights of those who can carry virtually anywhere already.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

allisji

Post by allisji »

ninjabread wrote:
flechero wrote:
Be a good witness and call 911. That's what mere citizens are supposed to do, right?
After hearing the anti gun half truths and outright lies from LE groups this legislative session, I will mind my own business if I see their members having a roadside disagreement with #BLM. I used to be pro law enforcement, but there's only so much "us versus them" rhetoric a man can take.
Unfortunately the police chiefs and police unions get to speak on behalf of all off their members. I would venture to guess that most of the members probably would prefer that they did not. By and large, LEOs are the good guys, even if the people who represent them are not...
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

allisji wrote:
ninjabread wrote:
flechero wrote:
Unfortunately the police chiefs and police unions get to speak on behalf of all off their members. I would venture to guess that most of the members probably would prefer that they did not. By and large, LEOs are the good guys, even if the people who represent them are not...
Very good point. People need to consider there is usually a huge difference in attitude/opinion between the rank and file officers and the chiefs and union leadership. It's important to not project the attitudes and opinions of one on the other.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

Their silence is deafening. When they need help, they should expect the same in return.

tx85

Post by tx85 »

While police chiefs are appointed, the leaders of police unions are not. From CLEAT's website:
CLEAT is led by officers elected by the members of CLEAT. All members may vote and seek elected office within the organization.

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

1911 10MM wrote:Don't urinate on my back and try to tell me it's raining!
:iagree:

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

tx85 wrote:While police chiefs are appointed, the leaders of police unions are not. From CLEAT's website:
CLEAT is led by officers elected by the members of CLEAT. All members may vote and seek elected office within the organization.
Look at their bylaws and see how the union performs the election. They may only be electing a group of officers from 2 or more groups chosen by the existing leadership. This is a common union tactic so they can claim to be fairly elected while there is nothing fair about it.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”