HB 3784

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 3

Re: HB 3784

Post by locke_n_load »

rjr5545 wrote:Still in there.
I kind of hope it doesn't make it with that in there. This seems like just another way for some big business to profit from this session and mess over small time instructors.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

rjr5545
Posts in topic: 4

Post by rjr5545 »

Still calls for the 1 hour of gun training and shooting with an instructor. Had a few instructors coming through here saying they will not renew if this passes.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

It's gunna be defensive driving.
Should still be a live, interactive (read: video conference... Skype, webex, etc), but this makes it sound like it's going to be allowed to be identical to defensive driving.

I like the idea of making it easier access for people, but you need two way communication for this class. Too many things need clarification throughout the course- at least that's what it seemed like the rest of the classroom needed when I was there. I asked several questions as well.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

So they get online instruction from some big business website and come to us for 1 hour of shooting. Sorry, only going to profit gun ranges there. If anyone could make the online training, cool. But having requirements for previous online training experience shuts out almost everyone.

In response to John: My defensive driving was not live. It was recorded, with no way to ask questions.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

locke_n_load wrote:So they get online instruction from some big business website and come to us for 1 hour of shooting. Sorry, only going to profit gun ranges there. If anyone could make the online training, cool. But having requirements for previous online training experience shuts out almost everyone.

In response to John: My defensive driving was not live. It was recorded, with no way to ask questions.
Exactly. This cuts out the little guys. And I bet the bigger training companies have a bias against this kind of thing....

I wonder if any of the million defensive driving companies would be able to do this? That's online training experience....
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

locke_n_load wrote:So they get online instruction from some big business website and come to us for 1 hour of shooting. Sorry, only going to profit gun ranges there. If anyone could make the online training, cool. But having requirements for previous online training experience shuts out almost everyone.

One hour of range training *followed* by shooting proficiency. We just have no idea what the range training would be.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Ruark
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Ruark »

Plus......... the cost of the hour of personal instruction, range fees, ammo, etc. would pretty much cancel out the cost savings from the new reduction in the LTC fee. Sigh.....
-Ruark

rjr5545

Post by rjr5545 »

Looks like this is going to make it through. At least we still have the shooting. :fire, and of course the people that want a real class with questions and answers.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

rjr5545 wrote:Looks like this is going to make it through. At least we still have the shooting. :fire, and of course the people that want a real class with questions and answers.
There is a ray of hope for unsuspecting LTC applicants. The DPS "may" certify someone or some company to offer online courses, it is not required to do so. Until the repeal of renewal classes, the DPS had the authority to allow online renewal courses by any approved LTC instructor, but it never approved anyone and with good reason.

Also, as I and others have noted, I think the overall cost of an online course will exceed the cost of a live course, perhaps greatly so. This is especially true since anyone taking an online course will have to receive at least one hour of range instruction in addition to the range qualification. That means such students cannot be included in the range qualification portion of a live class. An LTC instructor will have to make special arrangements for online students.

I would have accepted online students in the range portion of my classes, if it were not for the hour of training required prior to the range qualification. I would have charged the same fee, but now online students will not be in my course. If someone wants private instruction for two hours, followed by the LTC qualification and a CHL-100, then I will do that at my regular private lesson rate. The overall cost to the student will be much higher than simply taking a live LTC course or even my combined Basic Handgun Skills Course/LTC Course.

This Bill was well-intended, but it ultimately won't reduce the cost to applicants.
Chas.

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

I wonder if the state will demand a portion of the online fee as a prerequisite to approving the online provider?
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

bmcferren
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bmcferren »

I recently posted this in another thread: As of Wednesday evening - 6/7/2017 1942 ... the Governor HAS NOT YET signed this bill. This past week-end I sent (via the state's contact site) the following email to the Governor:
Governor - This is an email concerning "HB3784 - The ability by the DPS to assign an online provider of internet training for the License To Carry (LTC) class". I've been an LTC instructor for 18 years and have knowledge of what this training entails and in my opinion the laws of this state with regards to the use of force are much to important for an individual to learn relying on an online course to teach them. I also believe that placing this responsibility in a few companies because they meet the criteria of "multiple years on internet training" defeat the reason for having these important courses. I request that you consider vetoing this bill. I believe that it was put together by special interest groups to further their access in how the people of the Great State of Texas are trained. Thank you very much.
TX CHL Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

Personally, i think online training for this is kinda ineffective. Will you still be able to go to classroom training as well? I don't see this affecting classroom training very much.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”