Help me understand

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Kkpsiknl
Posts in topic: 2

Help me understand

Post by Kkpsiknl »

So I just watched the house adjourn for the evening. Did a bunch of bills just die? Or, which is probably the case, am I confused on the dates?

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Help me understand

Post by carlson1 »

From TSRA:
Dear TSRA members, Family and Friends:

SB 349 Passes in the Texas Senate

Today at 12:22 p.m., SB 349 by State Senator Brandon Creighton (R-Conroe) was laid out and explained to members of the Texas Senate. The bill is a clarification for the location of a school activity, as listed in PC 46.03 and fixes the popential problem for licensees. The vote was 29-2 in favor.

The concern centers around weak language in the Penal Code. Could a trip to the Capitol find a licensee in the middle of a "school activity" or even a stop and a McDonalds. Definitions need to be clear in law.

Now SB 349 moves to the Texas House to catch up with HB 968 by Rep. Will Metcalf (R-Conroe), left pending in House Committee on Homeland Security and Public Safety. The issue is expected to continue to the finish line and become law.

No new turf for licensees but a much-needed and well-timed clarification!

Many thanks to witnesses who came to Austin from long distances. You sat in cold hearing rooms for hours and you shared your story with the committee. It's not the number of witnesses; it's the quality of their story. I can't thank you enough. You continue to amaze me.

The Clock is Ticking and Sine Die is May 29th
More to Follow!

Our agenda, our membership, and our support are All about Texas.
Join, renew or upgrade your membership at http://www.tsra.com, or 512-615-4200.

And as always,
Keep the faith.

Alice Tripp
Legislative Director
Texas State Rifle Association

Topic author
Kkpsiknl
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Kkpsiknl »

I hadn't checked my email. Oops

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

this week:

Monday, May 8, 2017 (119th day)
Last day for house committees to report house bills and house joint resolutions
[The house rules do not contain an express deadline for committees to report measures, but, technically, this is the last day for a house committee to report a house bill or house joint resolution in order for the measure to have any chance of being placed on a house calendar. However, this deadline does not take into consideration the time required to: (1) prepare the bill analysis; (2) obtain an updated fiscal note or impact statement; (3) prepare any other paperwork required for a committee report; or (4) prepare the committee report for distribution to the members of the house as required by the rules. Realistically, it normally takes a full day or more for a bill to reach the Calendars Committee after the bill has been reported from committee.]

Tuesday, May 9, 2017, by 10 p.m. (120th day)
Deadline for the house to distribute its last House Daily Calendar with house bills and house joint resolutions
[relates to House Rule 6, Sec. 16(a), requiring 36-hour layout of daily calendars before consideration]

Wednesday, May 10, 2017, by 9 a.m. (121st day)
Deadline for the house to distribute its last House Local & Consent Calendar with consent house bills
[relates to House Rule 6, Sec. 13, requiring 48-hour layout of local and consent calendars before consideration, and House Rule 8, Sec. 13(b), the deadline for consideration]

Thursday, May 11, 2017 (122nd day)
Last day for the house to consider house bills and house joint resolutions on 2nd reading on the Daily or Supplemental Calendar
[House Rule 8, Sec. 13(b)]

Friday, May 12, 2017 (123rd day)
Last day for the house to consider consent house bills on 2nd and 3rd reading and all 3rd reading house bills or house joint resolutions on the Supplemental Calendar
[House Rule 8, Sec. 13(b)]
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

... popential problem for licensees

popential eh?

loktite

Post by loktite »

Abraham wrote:... popential problem for licensees

popential eh?
Sounds good with an Italian accent, maybe while holding thumb and forefinger together :biggrinjester:
NRA Endowment Member

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

carlson1 wrote:From TSRA:

SB 349 Passes in the Texas Senate

Today at 12:22 p.m., SB 349 by State Senator Brandon Creighton (R-Conroe) was laid out and explained to members of the Texas Senate. The bill is a clarification for the location of a school activity, as listed in PC 46.03 and fixes the popential problem for licensees. The vote was 29-2 in favor.

The concern centers around weak language in the Penal Code. Could a trip to the Capitol find a licensee in the middle of a "school activity" or even a stop and a McDonalds. Definitions need to be clear in law.

Now SB 349 moves to the Texas House to catch up with HB 968 by Rep. Will Metcalf (R-Conroe), left pending in House Committee on Homeland Security and Public Safety. The issue is expected to continue to the finish line and become law.

Many thanks to witnesses who came to Austin from long distances. You sat in cold hearing rooms for hours and you shared your story with the committee. It's not the number of witnesses; it's the quality of their story. I can't thank you enough. You continue to amaze me.

The Clock is Ticking and Sine Die is May 29th
More to Follow!

Our agenda, our membership, and our support are All about Texas.
Join, renew or upgrade your membership at http://www.tsra.com, or 512-615-4200.

And as always,
Keep the faith.

Alice Tripp
Legislative Director
I wonder if zoos and museums will start taking their signage down if this becomes law?
And it's a shame that more teeth wasn't added to the fines for signs law to keep private businesses from posting on public property.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

And as always,
Keep the faith.

Alice Tripp
Legislative Director
No new turf for licensees because TSRA expended so much political capital on OCT's agenda, imho.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

I should follow their example and go ahead and put a down payment on that Gold Wing jet that I always wanted instead if investing in my growing business!
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

loktite wrote:
Abraham wrote:... popential problem for licensees

popential eh?
Sounds good with an Italian accent, maybe while holding thumb and forefinger together :biggrinjester:
Well, it was a 'catholic' assortment of firearms/LTC related legislation this year. :smilelol5:
Catholic | Define Catholic at Dictionary.com
www.dictionary.com/browse/catholic
Catholic definition, broad or wide-ranging in tastes, interests, or the like;
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

bblhd672 wrote:

And as always,
Keep the faith.

Alice Tripp
Legislative Director
No new turf for licensees because TSRA expended so much political capital on OCT's agenda, imho.
That is likely a fair assessment. I am glad that OC passed, but the antics of They Who Shall Not Be Named during the last session probably did suck a lot of the oxygen out of the room. The concept of political capital is not readily understood......or cared about...... by hotheads; and hotheads routinely ignore political realities. Thin progress this session was the price of last session's shenanigans. OC would have eventually passed in some future session anyway, by more sober means, and in the meantime, we would have likely made good progress for issues like where we can carry, etc.

People forget, there is only a 4% difference in the number of republican and democrat voters in this state, and not all republicans favor a more permissive RKBA. If you willfully disregard the facts, then you will be blindsided by the results.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I think it's somewhere between 4% and 9% R vs D in this state, but your statements still are 100% valid TAM. And 9% is still close.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_ ... exas,_2016
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”