Did we get shut out this year

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Did we get shut out this year

Post by RPBrown »

It appears that we got shut out for all of the 2A bills for this session. Looks like everything got stopped at the Calendars Committee. Did we get anything at all through? If not, perhaps we need to rethink some of our elected officials. A Republican House and Senate and nothing I can see gets through.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Did we get shut out this year

Post by powerboatr »

it does seem to lead one to think they need to work more than every two years. there many things the legislature needs to be working on.
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

flowrie
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flowrie »

I went to "Texas Legislature Online" to look up some of the 2A bills, I see the information and look at the dates and deadlines, but I cannot make sense of it all. I even went to the glossary to look up the meaning of some of the terms used, again makes no sense to me.
It's all "legislature speak", which I am not familiar with.
I am sure Mr. Cotton or some other knowledgeable member can enlighten us.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

powerboatr wrote:it does seem to lead one to think they need to work more than every two years. there many things the legislature needs to be working on.
Heavens No! They would mess up more than they would make better. We need term limits and we need a legislature that will work on things for the whole session instead of playing and partying for half of it and then claim they ran out of time.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

twomillenium wrote:
powerboatr wrote:it does seem to lead one to think they need to work more than every two years. there many things the legislature needs to be working on.
Heavens No! They would mess up more than they would make better. We need term limits and we need a legislature that will work on things for the whole session instead of playing and partying for half of it and then claim they ran out of time.
The TX Leg will pass every bill they desire too. Not one more, and not one less. They have plenty of time.

The problem is that the majority of Republicans are just a pack of RINOs lead by Strauss.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

"Did We Get shut Out This Year"
Yes it appears we did.
Quote From TSRA:
No new turf for licensees but a much-needed and well-timed clarification!

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

The problem is that these bills get defeated by a cowardly legislature that doesn't leave their fingerprints behind. Most of them have A+ and A ratings from the TSRA.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

our guy....bryan hughes was to busy doing photo ops than doing his job. I still cant believe he was voted to the senate after screwing us over in the house.
he is horrible as they get.
he wont return calls or letters.
we had a huge water rate fight with monarch, southwest water and he was to busy to help us and half the state fight the insane rates.
Last edited by powerboatr on Wed May 10, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The number of pro-gun bills that will pass this session will be down compared to prior years, but we will get important legislation passed. We also killed more anti-gun bills that in any prior session. When the session is over, I'll discuss the reasons for the fewer bills having passed this session.

Chas.

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine »

Liberty wrote:The problem is that these bills get defeated by a cowardly legislature that doesn't leave their fingerprints behind. Most of them have A+ and A ratings from the TSRA.
It sounds like grade inflation and makes me wonder how much I can trust those ratings.
"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty."
III

doncb

Post by doncb »

We got the door slammed in our faces. I've got some ocean front property in Oklahoma for anybody that thinks it's going to be any different in 2 years.
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

jed

Post by jed »

Texas' congress is no different than the US congress, where the majority of Republicans are just rinos. I see very little difference between demos and reps on the local, state or national level. There are a few exceptions but far too few to make a difference. Trump campaigned on draining the swamp in Washington, well, we have our own swamp in Austin and neither will ever be drained. Too many politicians only looking to pad their pockets from the special interests and lobbyists. Nothing will ever change here or in Washington.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

My Texas House representative has been a vocal supporter of Joe Strauss. I've written USPS type letters to him, saying that he owns the results of bills that concern me not passing because of their dying in committees just as much as Strauss does. In addition, I've called his office and even visited his office in Austin in person. None of my phone calls were returned and the in person visit (because he was not in the building at the time and the interns in his office couldn't provide any information) was for naught.

Yesterday, his local administrative assistance returned my phone call. She and I talked about some of my concerns. I must have made enough of an impression on her that my concerns were on going that she offered a sit-down meeting among me, the representative and herself over coffee in the coming weeks.

She claims that 2015 was the best session ever for Republican legislation. I'm sure that she has information to back that up. That is not my perspective, given all of the gun related bills that didn't pass. In preparation for the meeting, I would like to have a score card about the important bills and their status, especially the gun bills that didn't pass. I have an uphill battle on the gun bill front from the last session because of Campus Carry and Open Carry.

I have no illusions about having any impact but I believe that the potential for influence in 2019 is greater if I have the meeting and am prepared than if I don't. I want to do all that I can to keep us from getting mostly stifled again.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

chasfm11 wrote:My Texas House representative has been a vocal supporter of Joe Strauss. I've written USPS type letters to him, saying that he owns the results of bills that concern me not passing because of their dying in committees just as much as Strauss does. In addition, I've called his office and even visited his office in Austin in person. None of my phone calls were returned and the in person visit (because he was not in the building at the time and the interns in his office couldn't provide any information) was for naught.

Yesterday, his local administrative assistance returned my phone call. She and I talked about some of my concerns. I must have made enough of an impression on her that my concerns were on going that she offered a sit-down meeting among me, the representative and herself over coffee in the coming weeks.

She claims that 2015 was the best session ever for Republican legislation. I'm sure that she has information to back that up. That is not my perspective, given all of the gun related bills that didn't pass. In preparation for the meeting, I would like to have a score card about the important bills and their status, especially the gun bills that didn't pass. I have an uphill battle on the gun bill front from the last session because of Campus Carry and Open Carry.

I have no illusions about having any impact but I believe that the potential for influence in 2019 is greater if I have the meeting and am prepared than if I don't. I want to do all that I can to keep us from getting mostly stifled again.
This is good, just remember to be tactful and polite. Sugar over vinegar and such...

I do agree that we got a lot in 2015, so maybe we got a bit spoiled. But I don't think that's any reason for us to be OK with bills like 560 not seeing the light of day. And it's not a complete loss, SB16 will add to our ranks so our voices are louder for 2019.

Good job
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:
chasfm11 wrote:My Texas House representative has been a vocal supporter of Joe Strauss. I've written USPS type letters to him, saying that he owns the results of bills that concern me not passing because of their dying in committees just as much as Strauss does. In addition, I've called his office and even visited his office in Austin in person. None of my phone calls were returned and the in person visit (because he was not in the building at the time and the interns in his office couldn't provide any information) was for naught.

This is good, just remember to be tactful and polite. Sugar over vinegar and such...

I do agree that we got a lot in 2015, so maybe we got a bit spoiled. But I don't think that's any reason for us to be OK with bills like 560 not seeing the light of day. And it's not a complete loss, SB16 will add to our ranks so our voices are louder for 2019.

Good job
I agree. This wasn't a Superbowl year, and SB16 is a low impact win tactically. Strategically, however, I think it is big. 2 years, 4 years from now the number of LTC holders could make a big difference in a HB560 type bill's chances. And other big win bills.

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”