Did we get shut out this year

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

doncb
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Did we get shut out this year

Post by doncb »

gljjt wrote:I agree. This wasn't a Superbowl year, and SB16 is a low impact win tactically. Strategically, however, I think it is big. 2 years, 4 years from now the number of LTC holders could make a big difference in a HB560 type bill's chances. And other big win bills.
They ignored over 1 million LTC holders this year. How many millions does there have to be? 5, 10, 60? It's always 2 years, 4 years.....
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

rogersinsel
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rogersinsel »

Leadership is the issue. It was demonstrated when open carry was working on becoming law and it was demonstrated again when those same folks under estimated bills like hb1911.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

gljjt wrote:
I agree. This wasn't a Superbowl year, and SB16 is a low impact win tactically. Strategically, however, I think it is big. 2 years, 4 years from now the number of LTC holders could make a big difference in a HB560 type bill's chances. And other big win bills.
I hope you're right, but the newer folks won't have as much invested as the older folk who paid $140 and 8 to 10 hours of training. I hope they value their CHLs as much as us older folks do.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

I would not be shocked if in 2-4 years Texas becomes purple State, and within next 10 years, a leaning Blue State.

Look at shift in demogragichs and inflow of Libs from Commie States.

That is precisely why we needed more offensive and aggressive pro-Liberty results in this session.

TonyG

Post by TonyG »

parabelum wrote:I would not be shocked if in 2-4 years Texas becomes purple State, and within next 10 years, a leaning Blue State.

That is precisely why we needed more offensive and aggressive pro-Liberty results in this session.
Makes you wonder if that wall shouldn't be built on a different boarder...

rotor

Post by rotor »

TonyG wrote:
parabelum wrote:I would not be shocked if in 2-4 years Texas becomes purple State, and within next 10 years, a leaning Blue State.

Makes you wonder if that wall shouldn't be built on a different boarder...

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

maybe conservatives should start moving to California?
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

SewTexas wrote:maybe conservatives should start moving to California?
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:
SewTexas wrote:maybe conservatives should start moving to California?

welllll, the way I figure it, if they're all moving here...so it should be getting clear for us to move there? the place is wonderful, it's the people that are crazy.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

ninjabread

Post by ninjabread »

Unoficially, it looks pretty purple when I consider this legislative session. Trending fuchsia at least.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I keep repeating this over and over again, but people who think that Texas is a conservative state are burying their heads in the sand. According to the last numbers I saw, there is only a 4% difference between the numbers of registered democrats and registered republicans in this state. That is not a huge difference. Add in the fact that a lot of the republicans are, what can euphemistically be called, "moderate", and you have a state GOP that is not all that interested in expanding the RKBA. Yes, there are some stalwarts, but the fact is that Joe Strauss gets re-elected as Speaker each session because there isn't enough of a conservative GOP base to get a republican speaker elected without democrat help. It's not that the state GOP is "anti-gun" so much as it is that, for a lot of them, it's nowhere near their primary issue.

Those are the facts, and I don't see it getting any better, any time soon. THAT is why (A) political capital and (B) political realities are so important to the process; and the fact is that a certain segment of pro-gun advocacy people ends up shooting us in the foot time after time, because they refuse (very childishly in my opinion) to accept the battlefield as it IS, and not as they WANT it to be. Failure to properly recognize the actual battlefield conditions as they ARE instead of how they WISH it were, is the greatest sin of generals, as well as politicians, advocates, and voters alike.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Unfortunately it is a fact that there are more liberty, freedom and pro-2A states than Texas.

The state's quest to attract businesses to relocate from deep blue states has been successful- the resulting shift to blue state shouldn't be a surprise to those in charge.
You also should consider the left has a long term agenda and the patience to allow the middle and right to help them along.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

I heard Tennessee is nice...should I consider packing up in few years? :???:

Maybe I'll have a compound like Hickok45 :mrgreen: :waiting:

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

The Annoyed Man hit the nail on the head. Looking at the past four months in Austin and Washington, the character of the Republican party is revealed. Men like McCain, Bloomberg and Straus are not RINO, they represent what the Republican party has become. Make no mistake. Few Republicans at the national or state level really support the 2nd amendment, the 9th amendment, or the 10th amendment. The legislation passed or killed by the Republican majorities in Washington DC and Austin TX tell the truth about where they really stand.

To paraphrase RR, I didn't leave the GOP. The GOP left me.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

1911 10MM

Post by 1911 10MM »

The Annoyed Man wrote:

I keep repeating this over and over again, but people who think that Texas is a conservative state are burying their heads in the sand. According to the last numbers I saw, there is only a 4% difference between the numbers of registered democrats and registered republicans in this state. That is not a huge difference. Add in the fact that a lot of the republicans are, what can euphemistically be called, "moderate", and you have a state GOP that is not all that interested in expanding the RKBA. Yes, there are some stalwarts, but the fact is that Joe Strauss gets re-elected as Speaker each session because there isn't enough of a conservative GOP base to get a republican speaker elected without democrat help. It's not that the state GOP is "anti-gun" so much as it is that, for a lot of them, it's nowhere near their primary issue.

Those are the facts, and I don't see it getting any better, any time soon. THAT is why (A) political capital and (B) political realities are so important to the process; and the fact is that a certain segment of pro-gun advocacy people ends up shooting us in the foot time after time, because they refuse (very childishly in my opinion) to accept the battlefield as it IS, and not as they WANT it to be. Failure to properly recognize the actual battlefield conditions as they ARE instead of how they WISH it were, is the greatest sin of generals, as well as politicians, advocates, and voters alike.
I am not sure where you are getting your numbers but there is no registration of individuals to political parties in Texas. Voter registration cards do not indicate republican or democrat on them. Since you can vote in either the Rep or Dem primary but only once they wil stamp the voter registration and record the primary so you can't vote in both. There is no registration.

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”