Did we get shut out this year

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Did we get shut out this year

Post by Papa_Tiger »

tx85 wrote:
Papa_Tiger wrote:HB 913 - De-regulation of Suppressors, other non-NFA items - On Senate Local and Consent Calendar
That's not what HB913 does. The latest version (passed out of Senate committee) bans "improvised explosive devices".
Whoops! I'm completely messed up here! That was supposed to be HB 1819 which was already sent to the governor. I'll fix my post above.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

wow...2 more years and not much was done.

my reps are about to get unloaded on.
glad some firearm legislation was done..
but they dropped ball on other important items
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

doncb

Post by doncb »

powerboatr wrote:wow...2 more years and not much was done.
If you listen closely you can here the plaintive sound of the LTC. "Maybe in 2 years. Maybe in 2 years." You can hear it every 2 years for some reason.
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ScottDLS »

We need to name these bills better - "The helping children and cute cuddly kittens, by removing restrictions act". What are you AGAINST CHILDREN AND KITTENS? :mad5
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

The Dude

Post by The Dude »

Unless they pull off a legislative Hail Mary, it looks like incumbents have an uphill battle next year.
ABIDE

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

guys, I literally heard one of the leges say that the reason some bill that was suppose to be for psych services for kids didn't get passed was because they reduced the fee for CHLs and that reduced the budget by MILLIONS of dollars! seriously, that's what he said!
Now, 1. you'd have a hard time convincing me that reducing the fee by that much reduced any budget by that much. and 2. I thought our fee money wasn't suppose to be going into the General Budget, it was suppose to be paying for the CHL processing only, therefore it should be staying within DPS.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

SewTexas wrote:guys, I literally heard one of the leges say that the reason some bill that was suppose to be for psych services for kids didn't get passed was because they reduced the fee for CHLs and that reduced the budget by MILLIONS of dollars! seriously, that's what he said!
Now, 1. you'd have a hard time convincing me that reducing the fee by that much reduced any budget by that much. and 2. I thought our fee money wasn't suppose to be going into the General Budget, it was suppose to be paying for the CHL processing only, therefore it should be staying within DPS.
What should be happening, and what WAS happening are 2 different things. The excess was funneled into the general fund, hence why it should have been a slam dunk to reduce the fee to just he cost to the state.

As to the larger question of this thread;
Did we get shut out this year?

There are many things that I and others would have liked to see but didn't come to fruition (HB 560 comes to mind). However to say that we were "shut out" I think is misleading.
  • SB 16 passed reducing the fees for new and renewal of LTCs. This should hopefully increase the number of LTCs, and therefore increase the impact that LTCs have on society.

SB 263 is still a possibility to remove the minimum caliber restriction for the LTC proficiency test.

SB 2065 was amended for volunteer security at places of worship and may still pass.
There are still others that are pending that may help to further restore 2nd amendment rights. We may not have got everything we wanted on our wish list, but we DID make progress.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

gljjt
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gljjt »

doncb wrote:
powerboatr wrote:wow...2 more years and not much was done.
If you listen closely you can here the plaintive sound of the LTC. "Maybe in 2 years. Maybe in 2 years." You can hear it every 2 years for some reason.

Yep. Didn't roll back 140 years of bad laws in one session. Total failure. /SARCASM OFF

4copas

Post by 4copas »

Take a look at all the bad gun bills filed that attack our 2nd amendment rights. Good and bad bills listed here by Charles.

https://www.texasfirearmscoalition.com/ ... ve-session

As far as I can tell, attacking bills got nowhere. While we didn't get all we wanted to move forward, we did fight off going backwards. That fight will always be there, probably increases sad to say.
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. John Wayne
NRA Life Member :patriot: :txflag:

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

SewTexas wrote:guys, I literally heard one of the leges say that the reason some bill that was suppose to be for psych services for kids didn't get passed was because they reduced the fee for CHLs and that reduced the budget by MILLIONS of dollars! seriously, that's what he said!
I'd always heard the opposite, that all fees went into the general fund with the DPS LTC folks having a set budget. This is why they couldn't ramp up during the high volume times.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

:iagree:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

4copas wrote:Take a look at all the bad gun bills filed that attack our 2nd amendment rights. Good and bad bills listed here by Charles.
Excellent document. Found a typo in HB 913. Should be "NFA paperwork," not "NRA paperwork."
-Ruark

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

4copas wrote:Take a look at all the bad gun bills filed that attack our 2nd amendment rights. Good and bad bills listed here by Charles.

As far as I can tell, attacking bills got nowhere. While we didn't get all we wanted to move forward, we did fight off going backwards. That fight will always be there, probably increases sad to say.
A little disappointed, but I agree...there was progress made and also the staving off of bad gun bills was a good thing.

I guess its just disheartening when I see bills like 560 not make much headway but a bill to allow such frivolous things as Shooting Feral Hogs from a Hot Air Balloon make the grade. Sheeeesh.

You know that's got to be important! :roll:

"H.B. 3535 amends the Parks and Wildlife Code to authorize a qualified landowner or landowner's agent, as determined by Parks and Wildlife Commission rule, to contract to participate as a hunter or observer in using a hot air balloon to take depredating feral hogs or coyotes under the authority of a permit to manage wildlife and exotic animals from aircraft. The bill requires the commission to adopt rules as necessary to implement the bill.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... ill=HB3535
"
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

FCMatt

Post by FCMatt »

Knife law is signed today and in effect 9/1

Since knives are most definitely a 2 A item, getting rid of 90% of the carry restrictions on them makes this year not a shut out in my opinion.

Time to upgrade my large cold steel espada to an XL in the new powder steel. :txflag:

Ooh, and a REAL Bowie knife, and a double edged benchmade auto.
Gov. Abbot, you gonna ruin my bank balance now :cheers2:

Somebody make sure to link the first Conan the barbarian or walking dead samurai to walk through downtown in September. This is gonna be fun.

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

FCMatt wrote:Knife law is signed today and in effect 9/1

Since knives are most definitely a 2 A item, getting rid of 90% of the carry restrictions on them makes this year not a shut out in my opinion.

Time to upgrade my large cold steel espada to an XL in the new powder steel. :txflag:

Ooh, and a REAL Bowie knife, and a double edged benchmade auto.
Gov. Abbot, you gonna ruin my bank balance now :cheers2:

Somebody make sure to link the first Conan the barbarian or walking dead samurai to walk through downtown in September. This is gonna be fun.
"rlol" ya know its gonna happen too! There is always one nut in the bag that will put it on YouTube
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”