SB 1942 - guys, please help me out!

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Inarus
Posts in topic: 2

SB 1942 - guys, please help me out!

Post by Inarus »

Good afternoon Gunboard Forums!

I would like to ask your help with something if you are in Texas. Currently there exists a bill in the Texas House called SB 1942 - relating to the storage of a firearm and ammunition on a private motor vehicle in the parking lot of a public or charter school. Right now, while 100% legal for me to keep my firearm in my personal vehicle on school parking lots, I am at risk of being fired. I am a teacher in Texas who works LONG hours that keeps me on campus well after campus PD leaves. Often times in the fall I'm on campus until 11PM or later. As of right now my district's policy is that employees are not allowed to keep their firearms in their vehicles even with a license to carry. SB1942 changes that. If you have a license then you're allowed to keep it in your vehicle. It doesn't make it legal - it is already legal to have your firearm in your vehicle - it protects you from being fired for keeping it in your vehicle. Many people would point to the 2011 parking lot law Texas passed but school districts were omitted from that requirement along with oil and gas refinery employees. Except refinery employees are also given a recourse - LTC holders are allowed to carry in their vehicle. Teachers weren't.

SB 1942 had a house companion - HB 1692 filed at my request by my Texas House Representative. HB 1692 was favorably referred by the Public Education Committee for a house vote but the calendars committee did not put it on the calendar for a floor vote. The time has now passed for the deadline for all House Bills to receive a house vote. Only bills that have passed the Senate are to be heard.

What I am asking you to do is to call three people for me - first Rep. Dan Huberty 512-463-0520, co-author of HB 1692 and chairman of the Public Education Committee to schedule SB 1942 for a hearing and vote ASAP! There are two weeks between now and the deadline for any Senate Bill to be heard in the House. And the Public Education committee meeting that happens on the 16th will not hear the bill. We need this bill heard NOW! Second person I'm asking you to call is Rep. Todd Hunter 512-463-0672, chairman of the House Calendars Committee. Please ask that Rep. Hunter, upon favorable recommendation by the Public Education Committee, schedule SB 1942 for a House vote prior to the deadline of May 29th to finalize any bills prior to the end of the 85th Legislative Session. Lastly please call your rep and ask him or her to vote to support SB 1942. HB 1692 had over 50 sponsors and co-authors. There shouldn't be a problem seeing this legislation passed, its simply a matter of it going to a vote.

Guys I cannot tell you how much this bill means to me. Two years ago someone was at my home. I live in a community where home invasions and burglaries are rampant. My wife, all 5'3" and 110lbs of her who is also an LTC holder, is defenseless when she comes home (she's also a teacher). Two years ago I was worried about my wife alone but now I have my one year old son to add in the mix. I don't want any member of our family to come to injury because we are forced to lose rights that every other Texan enjoys simply because we picked a job. Again this doesn't make something legal that currently isn't. It only means that I can carry in my vehicle and keep my job. You have that right right now.

Please spend 5 minutes on the phone to see legislation that should be passed put on the books. I thank you for your help!

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 1

Re: SB 1942 - guys, please help me out!

Post by G.A. Heath »

As far as I know this bill (Senate Version) has been read for the first time in the house and sent to the public education committee in the house. I would have to check but I think that all happened yesterday (5-12-17).
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Topic author
Inarus
Posts in topic: 2

Re: SB 1942 - guys, please help me out!

Post by Inarus »

Quick update guys and girls:

SB 1942 has passed the House Education Committee. Now all it lacks is a Calendar recommendation and a house vote.

Please call Rep. Tood Hunter, head of the calendar committee, 512-463-0672 and ask it be placed on the calendar! We have a week from tomorrow to get this bill passed.

To those who have called, thank you. Please keep it up!

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”