SB 1408 - Call to Action ***Need your help***

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ninjamedic2293
Posts in topic: 5

SB 1408 - Call to Action ***Need your help***

Post by ninjamedic2293 »

Texas Senate Bill 1408 allows trained and qualified fire and EMS first responders to carry a concealed weapon on duty for defensive use. Situations like these happen all the time. EMS First Responders are seven times more likely to be murdered in the line of duty than any other Healthcare professional and 22 times more likely to be assaulted so severely that they are unable to return to work than the general public.

If you feel that first responders should have the right to defend themselves (this is strictly a defensive use, concealed carry bill) please reach out to the people listed below and express your support for first responders and SB1408.

These are the members of the Calendars Committee. We MUST get the bill placed on the Calander immediately, if not sooner. Please, if you support this effort, call them right now. All bills take a minimum of 3 days to get through the House rules, for a vote, leaving us only 4 days until the deadline. If you aren't sure what to say, I will include a simple script below. Read through it a couple of times before you call so it doesn't sound like you are reading. An "*" will be used to denote which reps to call first. Each call should only take a minute or two. If they have any questions that you are not 100% sure of the answer refer them to me. Christopher McAllister 281-857-4258. Thank you!! We are ALMOST THERE!!!!!

Chair:
*Rep. Todd Hunter (512) 463-0672

Vice Chair:
*Rep. Donna Howard (512) 463-0631

Members:
Rep. Roberto R. Alonzo (512) 463-0408
Rep. Trent Ashby (512) 463-0508
Rep. Byron Cook (512) 463-0730
Rep. Sarah Davis (512) 463-0389
Rep. Charlie Geren (512) 463-0610
Rep. Helen Giddings (512) 463-0953
Rep. Kyle J. Kacal (512) 463-0412
*Rep. Ken King (512) 463-0736
Rep. Linda Koop (512) 463-0454
Rep. Poncho Nevárez (512) 463-0566
Rep. Chris Paddie (512) 463-0556
Rep. Dade Phelan (512) 463-0706
Rep. Toni Rose (512) 463- 0664

"Hello, my name is ________."

(If applicable state that you are a constituent of the representative but if not, do not volunteer that you are not a constituent unless they ask.)

"I would like to speak with somebody regarding SB1408, which gives first responders the right to carry a concealed weapon on duty. (They will take your comments or get a policy analyst on the phone.) I would like to ask that Representative __________ place SB1408 on the House agenda immediately. As a first responder ('s spouse, mother, friend, etc), I do not want to see two more years of attacks on firefighters and EMS providers due to time constraints. (Thank them for their time.)"

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me. I wrote this legislation, as a first responder, to address the potential pitfalls that only a first responder would understand (ie lockboxes to not carrying into a fire, liability concerns, training, etc.) Christopher McAllister

Topic author
ninjamedic2293

Re: SB 1408 - Call to Action ***Need your help***

Post by ninjamedic2293 »

I would be forever grateful if you guys could help us get this bill pushed through its last hurdle. It's well crafted, doesn't allow me to do anything you can't do when I am off duty or create another "elite" group. All this lets me do is get home safely to my wife and kids.

My best man got the dept's highest award for winning in hand to hand combat against a guy who pulled a .357 on them in a small bedroom because they were trying to do CPR on his wife. He won because of luck.

I have had a gun pulled on me on a call, I survived because of luck.

Around Christmas we had two paramedics and a patient kidnapped in their ambulance 5 blocks from the state capital. Having only a brick which they found on the side of the road to protect themselves, they survived by luck.

William An was shot and critically wounded recently in Dallas 11ft from his ambulance, he survived because a police sergeant had the courage to disregard all good tactics and get him off the X and onto the table of a trauma surgeon. His heart stopped three times. His partner to refuge behind a car. Ultimately Will and his partner survived because of luck.

2 years ago my fire engine pulled up outside of a burning house and as crews attempted to extinguish the fire a guy came out with an "assault rifle" and began shooting. The guys survived because they hid behind the engine and because they were lucky.

Last month Austin firefighters responded to a structure fire, while investigating the problem the incompetent would be arsonist hid in a room and when they opened the door the arsonist pointed a handgun at the lieutenant and told the firefighters they had to leave. They survived because he chose not to pull the trigger. Luckily.

3 years ago two female paramedics were standing outside of an apartment door on the second floor with Police officers next to them but on the opposite side of the door. When the door opened a man came out with a gun. Police were able to retreat down the stairs but the paramedics were at a dead end with no where to go. While the assailant stood at the top of the stairs in a stand off with officers below the paramedics were able to beg their way into a nearby apartment door and hide inside with the neighbors. They survived because of luck.

Our luck is going to run out . . .

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by powerboatr »

phone call made pledged support
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RoyGBiv »

http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=88266

Much better Bill. Looks like it's on it's way to a Senate vote without any changes to the House-passed version.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

mojo84
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mojo84 »

RoyGBiv wrote:http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=88266

Much better Bill. Looks like it's on it's way to a Senate vote without any changes to the House-passed version.
Which is the better bill?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

mojo84 wrote:

HB 435 IMO.
-- Defense to prosecution for 30.06/07, even when not responding to an active emergency.
-- No additional training (SB 1408 would require up to 20 hours of additional training, in its current version).
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

RoyGBiv wrote:
mojo84 wrote:

HB 435 IMO.
-- Defense to prosecution for 30.06/07, even when not responding to an active emergency.
-- No additional training (SB 1408 would require up to 20 hours of additional training, in its current version).
Thanks.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
ninjamedic2293

Post by ninjamedic2293 »

HB435 only applies to volunteers and gives them privileges at all times, I am thankful for that legislation as well and it will apply to me as I volunteer as a firefighter in my home community. It does not however apply to paid 1st responders, every time I have felt threatened has been while on the clock working for a major city controlled by the democratic party. SB1408 is very much needed as well.

Topic author
ninjamedic2293

Post by ninjamedic2293 »

Also, please makes calls through the weekend to get this out of Calendars. The legislature is not in recess for the weekend as many think.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Are we about to see a proliferation of 30.05 No Volunteer Emergency Personnel signs? What happened to "the most treasured strand on an owner's bundle of property rights" ? I propose a Bill to provide an exemption to 30.06/7 for hair dressers and TACL air conditioning technicians (or ENGINEERS).
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

ninjamedic2293 wrote:HB435 only applies to volunteers and gives them privileges at all times, I am thankful for that legislation as well and it will apply to me as I volunteer as a firefighter in my home community. It does not however apply to paid 1st responders, every time I have felt threatened has been while on the clock working for a major city controlled by the democratic party. SB1408 is very much needed as well.
So, there is a special carve out of defense to the prosecution for 30.06/07 for these volunteers while not on duty? On duty, I'm all for it. Serving the public and all. Off duty, I'm against it. They are no different than me then and I don't get that "privilege". No special snowflakes.

parabelum
Posts in topic: 4

Post by parabelum »

gljjt wrote:
ninjamedic2293 wrote:HB435 only applies to volunteers and gives them privileges at all times, I am thankful for that legislation as well and it will apply to me as I volunteer as a firefighter in my home community. It does not however apply to paid 1st responders, every time I have felt threatened has been while on the clock working for a major city controlled by the democratic party. SB1408 is very much needed as well.
So, there is a special carve out of defense to the prosecution for 30.06/07 for these volunteers while not on duty? On duty, I'm all for it. Serving the public and all. Off duty, I'm against it. They are no different than me then and I don't get that "privilege". No special snowflakes.
Many of "these volunteers" are actually highly qualified, State and NREMT certified professionals, oftentimes working either as paid responders or as simple grunts elsewhere, making next to nothing in most cases. But alas...

Volunteering for their communities to help their fellow neighbors in need, especially in rural and funding deprived areas, they provide essential life saving services. My dept. is fully ALS staffed, and we rely on County charity, donations etc. to keep the lights on.

If it sounds like I'm ticked off a bit now, it is because I am.

As a volunteer FF, I'm never really "off duty" unless I place myself in that status in IaR. When my tone goes off at 2am we respond. If my kid is having a birthday party and I get a call, we respond.
I'm running errands at the store, call comes through...we respond.

"They" are no different to you until "they" are dragging your behind out from your mangled car at 4am in a pouring rain, or trying to keep you alive when you are in asystole.

You see, "they" don't get paid monetarily. "They" do what they do to help their communities and neighbors out.

I get your carve out opposition, I do, but, direct your attitude in appropriate direction. What have you against "them"?

Provided this passes, and I hope it does, I see it as an opportunity to potentially boost our volunteer numbers, as this might be for some, like you, an incentive to be a first responder.

Come join a vol. dept. You will be provided with training, and in most cases experience is desirable but not required.

All that you need to bring to the table is good moral character, clean record, willingness to respond and help your neighbors, and comitt to some time running calls or if you are physically unable to do so, you could help with admin. duties etc.

Then, you'll be one of "them".
Last edited by parabelum on Sat May 20, 2017 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Plumbers too...you don't appreciate them until you have a 6" sewer line in your yard burst spewing foulness into the street at 3am on Christmas... And having to put up with all the plumbers crack jokes, I think they deserve a carve out of 30.06/7 too. :evil2:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

parabelum
Posts in topic: 4

Post by parabelum »

ScottDLS,

This is the second time today you and TAM have made me spill coffee on myself! "rlol"

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”